Anybody building/ racing a First gen Dakota??

-
My 2000 mostly stock ext cab R/T doesn't get much hop either.

Just spins real easy and keeps spinning until you let up.

An acquaintance of mine here in FL has build several drag strip Dakotas.
Everything from narrowed rear frame big blocks to turbo small blocks.
If he doesn't want to buy those cal-tracks, I'll list them for sale on FABO.

..or you can make me an offer and we'll take it from there.

They will probably need repainted and like I said, need that plate made and maybe a few bolts.

I'm in Kansas city. I need a cab and short bed

I know guy that is trying to sell me a 95 V8 club cab just needs a transmission. Has a clear title and he is only wanting $400 for it. I can give you his contact info if you are intrested?

My 2000 mostly stock ext cab R/T doesn't get much hop either.

Just spins real easy and keeps spinning until you let up.

An acquaintance of mine here in FL has build several drag strip Dakotas.
Everything from narrowed rear frame big blocks to turbo small blocks.
If he doesn't want to buy those cal-tracks, I'll list them for sale on FABO.

..or you can make me an offer and we'll take it from there.

They will probably need repainted and like I said, need that plate made and maybe a few bolts.
I sent you a pm

I know guy that is trying to sell me a 95 V8 club cab just needs a transmission. Has a clear title and he is only wanting $400 for it. I can give you his contact info if you are intrested?
Where you located?

This thread is worthless without photos.........

67739895.rANtdvik.Canon12002a.jpg

hi was just wondering if anybody besides me building or racing a 87-96 Dodge Dakota? If so I would love to learn about your build etc.
I have started building a 91 SB 2 wheel drive Dakota sport. Mine was a factory V8 truck. After I got the truck home, I found out the cab mounts etc are Rusted out. I allready got the SB frame painted. So I found a rust free 87 long bed that I am going to take the cab off and put on my 91 frame. I allmost have the front end rebuilt. Just have to install the brake caliper, hoses and front brake lines.
For a rear axle I was going to use a 8.8 out of a exploder.
I don’t have the money for a complete caltract set up. So going to have to try and make the stock springs work. So thinking about taking out the over load springs out and kind of making them like a super stock spring. Any body have any advice or a better way to make the truck hook. My truck should run around 11.00-11.20 in the 1/4. That is if I can get it to hook. Lol

hi was just wondering if anybody besides me building or racing a 87-96 Dodge Dakota? If so I would love to learn about your build etc.
I have started building a 91 SB 2 wheel drive Dakota sport. Mine was a factory V8 truck. After I got the truck home, I found out the cab mounts etc are Rusted out. I allready got the SB frame painted. So I found a rust free 87 long bed that I am going to take the cab off and put on my 91 frame. I allmost have the front end rebuilt. Just have to install the brake caliper, hoses and front brake lines.
I don’t have the money for a complete caltract set up. So going to have to try and make the stock springs work. So thinking about taking out the over load springs out and kind of making them like a super stock spring. Any body have any advice or a better way to make the truck hook. My truck should run around 11.00-11.20 in the 1/4. That is if I can get it to hook. Lol

Back in 1995 I ordered my very first brand new truck a1996 Dakota sport 2wd short bed 318 magnum 5sd manual and 3.91 limited slip. That truck was a lot of fun the closest thing to a muscle car dodge made at the time. Stock it ran 15.30 but after headers and a home made cold air system plus messing with a few sensors got it down to 14.60 on street tires. I wish I kept it because a new Hemi would fit so nicely under the hood. Good luck with your project

20180729_194526.jpg

20180729_195125.jpg

20180729_195012.jpg

20180729_195039.jpg

Back in 1995 I ordered my very first brand new truck a1996 Dakota sport 2wd short bed 318 magnum 5sd manual and 3.91 limited slip. That truck was a lot of fun the closest thing to a muscle car dodge made at the time. Stock it ran 15.30 but after headers and a home made cold air system plus messing with a few sensors got it down to 14.60 on street tires. I wish I kept it because a new Hemi would fit so nicely under the hood. Good luck with your project

What do you think are the "better and worser" years Dakotas for a hemi swap? I'm not even sure what all has rack steering. Evidently the 2wd went to "rack" before the 4x4s which are "box" steering

I have an 89 Shelby Dakota that I resto-moded. Original 318 and A500. 8-1/4 sure grip 3.91. Running FiTech EFI, Performer manifold, Procomp heads, Comp roller cam, later model 2-1/8 cast iron exhaust manifolds, MSD Streetfire, 2-1/2 duals thru Magna Flow to single 3" tailpipe. Still running A/C with analog control. ECM completely removed. Motor dyno'd at 347hp/358tq. Pics on the FTO site under my member content. Would highly recommend using 91 and up for any v8 swap. 2" additional length under hood allows mechanical fans, shrouds or large elec puller fan for HP engines. The 87-90 can be done but can only handle small pusher fans (without MAJOR surgery) that are very marginal for heavy traffic/AC or HP engines.

What do you think are the "better and worser" years Dakotas for a hemi swap? I'm not even sure what all has rack steering. Evidently the 2wd went to "rack" before the 4x4s which are "box" steering
I don’t know what year is the best for the swap, but my friend drag races a 87 SB 2 wheel drive with a 04 5.7 Hemi. He said bolting it in was easy. He said the hardest part was finding a set of headers for it. Nobody makes any so he had to mod a set to get them to fit.

03CE6E61-EB96-4EE7-B9BD-429F83087FDB.png

874E1D3A-5DBC-481C-98DF-A192297AD702.png

View attachment 1715204812

View attachment 1715204813

View attachment 1715204814

View attachment 1715204815
That’s a great looking truck you had.!!

That’s a great looking truck you had.!!
Thanks, I wish you could keep them all but i traded it for a 03 Ram 1500 2wd reg cab short bed Sport 5.7 Hemi 3.90 rear. Also a great truck unfortunately never came with a stick. I always wonder where they are now.

The 2WD were always rack & pinion. The 4x4 didn't get a rack until (I think) '00. At least that's when the Durango did.

I've had several Dakotas with the '87-96 generation my favorite. I prefer the looks, visibility in them, and the lighter weight. Currently have the '96 4x4 I ordered new and a Shelby Dakota. The Shelby is getting reborn slowly for road race work.

Was going to put a '92 together for a drag truck but got a deal on a RWD converted '91 Daytona so the '92 Dak went back to being a parts truck and the Daytona will be for the track.

Very sorry to hear about your friend. Pics would me nice. Thanks for posting them

I found a picture of his truck.
His dad did a good job of finishing it.
I don't care for the purple.

1000474r.jpg

pre-97 also has a MUCH roomier interior.

Well I am slowly getting mine to look like a truck again. I got the cab moved from the 96 to the 91 frame. Oh sorry forgot I traded a 72 dart I had to a guy that had a 96 SB Dakota it was a 3.9 stick shift truck. I woukd of just used the whole 96 truck, but some damn chevy guy cut the factory engine mounts off and welded on some crappy looking GM LS mounts. Pluse my 91 frame is allready rebuilt and ready to go. Here is a pic of the 96 after I got it on my trailer and one of the 96 cab on my 91 frame.

DEC25FA5-4F8B-4B75-8733-9663C1B4E80D.jpeg

758CD7C3-0E8C-4E62-A2F7-6CC44D6F7470.jpeg

D8F1DE2C-DE1C-40DC-827D-219B0F449F5C.jpeg

F3C67755-68F0-4BBF-A757-B09CF8DA8541.jpeg

CFB31C6C-85E3-4E70-BEC7-135030D501C5.jpeg

B1FAAA7F-2151-40BC-836D-C676184A0BDC.jpeg

A566D1BB-7C71-42A8-83EB-5E39CDC5DC19.jpeg

445F564A-CEE5-4581-B64C-0E82B50A8038.jpeg

925EF8E6-DDBB-4720-A98B-877BCDE9F8D7.jpeg

C520A719-BB9C-49DA-B574-23859A6C21BB.jpeg

Well I am slowly getting mine to look like a truck again. I got the cab moved from the 96 to the 91 frame. Oh sorry forgot I traded a 72 dart I had to a guy that had a 96 SB Dakota it was a 3.9 stick shift truck. I woukd of just used the whole 96 truck, but some damn chevy guy cut the factory engine mounts off and welded on some crappy looking GM LS mounts. Pluse my 91 frame is allready rebuilt and ready to go. Here is a pic of the 96 after I got it on my trailer and one of the 96 cab on my 91 frame.

Well I hope to get the engine installed this weekend. I found a 904 trans and a new Coan 8 inch 5600 converter for the truck., I hope to get it by this weekend. Well I am getting closer to having a race truck, but the 904/ converter about whipped out my race budget for awhile. Lol

Nice build! I know the caltracs are $ but take it from me. There is nothing, nothing you can do for it better for traction on a Dakota. (with leaf springs) I used spring clamps and built some home brew super stock springs. Finally bit the bullet on the comp. engineering slide-o-links and even with the 315/35's she will light them up but zero wheel hop. Do it, do it. lol

-
Back