Any coin collectors on board?

-

hosehead

Reaction score
I found this in a 67 barracuda I bought years ago. I've looked online and the price values seem to be all over the place starting at 30.00. Is it worth sending in to get graded? It says 1880s ms65 proof like on the plastic case.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 118
In circulated condition you're only looking at about $50 (50-59), but in uncirculated (100) about $600! Anything from condition 60-70 is about $75 though.

Average cost is about $75-$100 to grade a coin if I remember correctly.

Kitty has a small collection. I don't know anything about them though.

If you are going to keep it and pass it down to your kids then it is worth getting graded. All Morgans in mint state are sought after and like you said if you go on eBay and look at the prices for that coin some MS 65 1880 S coins that have allready been graded are up for as little as $200 on go up to $500+ If you are just looking to sell it and make some money on it I would not get it graded I would just take it to a real coin shop and ask the owner to take a look at it and see if he thinks it is a MS 65 or not. Then put it up for sale on eBay.
Bob

Thanks for the help guys. It is pretty cool. I think I'll just keep it in the top of the toolbox! I appreciate all the info!

Nice score!

If it is actually a proof coin: "Proof coinage means special early samples of a coin issue, historically made for checking the dies and for archival purposes, but nowadays often struck in greater numbers specially for coin collectors (numismatists). Many countries now issue them."

"Most proof coins are double struck under higher pressure. This does not normally result in doubling that is readily observable, but does result in the devices being struck fully. After being struck, they are separately and individually handled, in contrast to normal coins which are thrown into bins."

^ From Wikipedia.

On eBay right now, at $395.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1880-S-MO...ED-CERTIFIED-MS65-1880S-BULLION-/190747740810

-
Back