Any experience with MABBCO engines?

-

dusterdoug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A buddy's kid (college/part time job budget) is considering this shortblock for a Duster project. With a couple of exceptions, they seem to have a good online rep. Just wondering if anyone here has anything to add.

https://www.mabbcomotors.com/catalo...O_CORE_REQUIRED_-_90_Day_Limited_Warranty/191

I can't build him one this cheap, and the guy I talked to there seemed to KNOW what he was talking about. But man, $765 seems cheeeeeep. Too cheep?

well YOU probably cant build him one that cheap, but that doesnt mean yours wouldnt be a better value.

Oh no doubt, Bax. But what does a college aged kid know about "value"? LOL...

once you add extras like timing chain gaskets and shipping , not such a great deal , plus if there is a problem you pay shipping both ways , close to 500.00 .And who knows what parts are used and if they checked and machined the block properly

Depends on the kid I suppose...I've actually seen those wholesale engines perform adequately before. They're not designed to be powerful--they are reman'd to factory specs, and that's it. Here's some perspective. A good friend of mine's '95 Cobra with a custom built 331 (stroked 302) with Novi 2000 supercharger started consuming coolant, after many intake and heads off exercises, we finally found the culprit-a cracked cylinder. Well, by this time he wasn't as well set for funds because of the what seemed like constant money wasting for the top end coming off bs. He took a chance on a local wholesale engine place...he bought a $1000 shortblock advertised to have forged pistons and ARP hardware-local option at that particular store. We verified the hardware and they were indeed forgings--old school trw slugs, probably sitting on a shelf somewhere gathering dust, but he needed the engine. We didn't touch a thing on the bottom end, transferred all the needed parts from his (oil pan, accessories, top end, and cam/timing set AND the blower), slapped it in the car and fired it up--no problems, not a one. After a trip to the chassis dyno it pushed down 430rwhp with the slowest pulley on the head unit. It never consumed oil or coolant, drove just fine, and never popped any gaskets under boost. He drove it in Texas and in California for several thousand miles as the DD before it was stolen out of his driveway. I still have pics of that car and both of us get mad when it comes up in conversation about how after all the work we did to make that car run well, some asshole stole it...

On the flipside, I've seen those shortblocks spin bearings within 100 miles and need a trade in...YMMV, I suppose. If it makes it past the first tank of gas without issue, you're probably ok. Honestly though, if he needs an engine, and you can't find a running core out of the local classifieds/craigslist or the salvage yards, the wholesale place may be worth a shot, but if you do, just be damn sure you get the low down on the warranty and any conditions.

BLUF: if I needed an engine or shortblock, that was the only option, and I were in his shoes, I'd do it.

Just my .02...

once you add extras like timing chain gaskets and shipping , not such a great deal , plus if there is a problem you pay shipping both ways , close to 500.00 .And who knows what parts are used and if they checked and machined the block properly

Oh-this engine isn't local to him? I guess I totally ignored that part. They use factory stock replacement parts like badger/engine tech pistons, king/Melling/Clevite bearings, Hastings rings, stock spec cams (Melling, Clevite, etc), and depending on the outfit, machined on Rottler/Sunnen equipment.

Do the long block for $1650!!
MABBCO® long blocks include NEW pistons, piston rings, rod bearings, main bearings, cam bearings, timing set, freeze plugs, gasket set, oil pump, and lifters. MABBCO® long blocks are Spin Tested on a Computerized Engine test stand for proper oil pressure and compression and come complete with the push rods and rocker arms installed and pre-set. MABBCO® Premium Long Blocks are sold outright (No Core Return Required).

My group of friends use Blaine's Motor Supply in Dallas, Tx. One friend had three engines done last year. Two are currently running and the other is still sitting for a project (all 360 magnums). Another just bought a 350 for his 95 Chevy Solverado he's building and has been up and running for a couple months now of daily duty. Another friend took his 408 build there after another builder lost his (my friend's) confidence. And lastly, my dad has been running a Blaines motor in his 86 f150 for years now.

Of course there's always a chance something will go wrong but I don't know of anyone, who has actually used them, to have a bad experience.

http://www.blainesmotorsupply.com/details/B6824/engines/4/Chrysler.html

-
Back