Any ideas what this is?

-

DodgeFan79

Reaction score
I was offered the opportunity to buy this 5.9 Mag motor that has been swapped to a carb.

The owner said it has a lower end noise and in the video you can see the damper moving.
Would this be the thrust bearing?
Any ideas what could be going on with this?
Thanks

Could be. Is it a manual transmission?

Unless the damper is moving i would say that the thrust bearing or crank is toast.

He is asking $1000. Said it would come with everything except carb. Also an extra 5.9 Mag would be included- that one is supposed to be bone stock.
I’m looking for something to throw into my 92 Dakota. But I may be better off to keep looking or just pick up a good core and go from there

Last edited:
5.9's at our local pick n pull are $200.. with a six month warranty..
Speedmaster conversion air gap intake on black Friday under $150 to the door..
Food for thought..

I've seen the crank break just behind the first throw and do the same thing.

Last edited:
An automatic can damage the engine thrust bearing if there is no clearance in the pump to converter neck, or if the trans cooler/cooling lines are plugged/restricted. Some of the noise sounds like a bad lifter or excessive lash, and some may be header leaks.

Lots of things on a magnum bolt in correctly to an previous la small block...
Lots don't..

I have a 5.2 Mag in my Dakota and was looking to swap a carbed 5.9 Mag in it. But I think I will probably pass on this and pick up a core and get the Black Friday deal on the intake.

Screenshot_20211022-223709.png

The complete is $12 more...

He is asking $1000. Said it would come with everything except carb. Also an extra 5.9 Mag would be included- that one is supposed to be bone stock.
I’m looking for something to throw into my 92 Dakota. But I may be better off to keep looking or just pick up a good core and go from there

Don’t walk away, Run Forrest Run

Toast, Badly worn, The least it would take is Crank, Bearings , Oil pump, Timing chain, and Gasket kit . But your biggest worry is. Where did all the metal go?

It's is actually creating a gap between the damper and the crank, loose damper bolt maybe.

Last edited:
The movement is being caused by the torque converter pressure pushing the crank forward. Many people destroy the thrust bearing trying to do foot brake burnouts with a low stall converter. They create to much pressure in the converter trying to get the tires spinning.

The wrong converter with a large camshaft will destroy a engine very quick. We had a 340 come here with a 474 lift cam. Ruined the thrust bearing in one month. The car couldn't spin factory spare tires foot braking with 355's.

After installing a 3500 GER cheap converter and a thrust bearing it became a tire sizzler doing a rolling hit with 275 60x15's. Just some info you may want to know before installing an engine with a larger cam.

Everyone said it, the thrust at the very least is toast...then the noise. Its clicking/tapping pretty fast...cam or rockers toast. ..of course if it goes away with some throttle and comes back upon the rpm settling...its multiple rods/pistons that are knocking or scuffed

-
Back