Any interest in custom all aluminum Chrysler steel wheels?

-

khuebner250

Reaction score
I posted this on moparts and in my build thread here. When does money outweigh sentimental value? 1968 notchback build thread
Thought I'd post where more could see, in the actual wheel forum. I've have gotten some interest on this set of 18" wheels I had a friend make. So I thought I would pass on a little info for anyone interested. I talked to Mike today. He said if anyone wants a set, he'll definitely make em. As far as I know it's the only option for aluminum Chrysler steel wheels in anysize you want. Mine are 18x9 and 18x11. They accept stock 9" poverty/dog dish caps. They are not cheap wheels, but they are under 1,000/per wheel. Mike will do sets for $3,400. Any size, any width.
Mike's been making wheels a long time and does an incredible job. Tell him Keith sent you his way.

Anyway contact:
Mike Curtis
curtisspeedwheels@gmail.com
Home

964.jpeg

965.jpeg

895.jpeg

1029.jpeg

These were patterned off of a stock wheel that I gave to Mike. If you are interested in having a set made please contact Mike.

I've had some questions on weight. I'll post some numbers this weekend.

I posted this on moparts and in my build thread here. When does money outweigh sentimental value? 1968 notchback build thread
Thought I'd post where more could see, in the actual wheel forum. I've have gotten some interest on this set of 18" wheels I had a friend make. So I thought I would pass on a little info for anyone interested. I talked to Mike today. He said if anyone wants a set, he'll definitely make em. As far as I know it's the only option for aluminum Chrysler steel wheels in anysize you want. Mine are 18x9 and 18x11. They accept stock 9" poverty/dog dish caps. They are not cheap wheels, but they are under 1,000/per wheel. Mike will do sets for $3,400. Any size, any width.
Mike's been making wheels a long time and does an incredible job. Tell him Keith sent you his way.

Anyway contact:
Mike Curtis
curtisspeedwheels@gmail.com
Home

View attachment 1715234856

View attachment 1715234857

View attachment 1715234858

View attachment 1715234859
What is an aluminum steel wheel? Do you mean an aluminum wheel made to look like a steel wheel?

What is an aluminum steel wheel? Do you mean an aluminum wheel made to look like a steel wheel?

Yep, didn't realize my title was that confusing. These are all aluminum wheels. Forged aluminum centers interference fit into aluminum wheel hoops and welded.

Screenshot_20181012-211702.png

My rear
18x11 aluminum wheel is 29 lbs

Stock
15x5.5" is 21.0 lb
15x7" is 24.2 lb
18x7.5 police charger steel 30.8 lbs.

I would love to do a set, but that’s a bit pricey for my near beer budget.

its just an alumn wheel make to looks like a stock steel wheel.. didn't think it was that confusing, especially after looking at the pics...

My rear
18x11 aluminum wheel is 29 lbs

Stock
15x5.5" is 21.0 lb
15x7" is 24.2 lb
18x7.5 police charger steel 30.8 lbs.
Not much lighter than the cop wheel. I say this falls into the catagory of “diminished returns.” Does all that money for aluminum really make a difference?

I like those a lot. But as others have said, the beer budget and all......

I said it before, those are beautiful wheels. Mike does amazing work.

Sadly they are well out of my price range. If I had the money I'd hit him up though! Bet he could make up a set that looked like the old police rims, it would be awesome to have a custom set of those in 18x10 and 11".

Not much lighter than the cop wheel. I say this falls into the catagory of “diminished returns.” Does all that money for aluminum really make a difference?

You’re comparing an 18x7.5” wide wheel with an 18x11” wide wheel.

The 18x11 is 46% wider and still 6% lighter. I'd say it's pretty darn impressive. Heck it'd be impressive if it weighed the same as a wheel that much narrower.

And let's be clear, "all that money" is for a fully custom aluminum wheel that has similar styling as an OE Chrysler steel wheel, not because it's a lightweight wheel. You can get significantly lighter rims for a lot less money than that, the 18x10" Enkei RPF1's I have on my car only weigh 18.45 lbs and can be bought at around $350 each. But they don't come in 11" and you can only get them with a 38mm offset, which happens to be what works for my 68-70 B body 8 3/4 with a 1/2" spring offset.

And they definitely don't look even remotely like an OE musclecar era wheel.

-
Back