Any issue for putting in a larger Radiator ?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
Sorry for creating a new thread about my radiator. Made a bunch of calls, some trying to say "too old nothing will work", to others saying you can use a similar radiator and giving me options. One guy said bring it in, he will send it to be tested and then they will offer to repair (if possible) or recore (which is insanely expensive).
I have been able to find suitable replacements in copper/brass (new) for under $200, main ones I am looking are by Spectra Premium. But this is issue: my 66 dart L6 3.7, no A/c, has the smaller 19in radiator, which then has mounting bracket that extends it to cover the opening which is actually almost 23in wide. I see that there seems to be 2 sizes available, one is 18 7/8, the other is 22 3/4.
So question is, if I put the 22 core in, will I have any cooling issues? will the fan still do the job? or do I then need a bigger fan??

You should be fine by going to the 22 vs the 19. Won't need a new fan, but there IS a shroud for the 22". You won't NEED it, but if you ever decide to pop for one they're out there.

If your rad is just leaking though, a decent shop should be able to fix it fast and relatively cheap. In the LA area just look for any shop that is not a 'chain' store and is local and been open for a few years. The cheaper the owner's vehicle is, the better.. If the owner doesn't work there, forget it.

I went from 22 to 26 twice and both times the motor ran cooler...easy and no issues...even the fan and shroud lined up like new

I did exactly what you are asking about, and had to drill a few new mounting holes in the radiator support for the new mounting holes in the radiator frame.
A 26 inch went in there in place of the old 19 and as long as your coolant hoses and trans cooler lines hook up right you are golden.

Obviously the bigger shroud will/should be used, but if you do this it will make the cooling capacity much better than it was.

i don't have any shroud. The one thing I do see different, is the current radiator the bottom outlet slants up at an angle. None of these new radiators do that. And the lower radiator hose looks lie it is real long and goes through the belt, very specific pathway. Does anyone have good part # for radiator hoses that will work? Or I suppose I see several of these new flexible hoses? Do those really work?

thanks for all the help guys. probably take it out and have it tested, then see what the next steps are.

i don't have any shroud. The one thing I do see different, is the current radiator the bottom outlet slants up at an angle. None of these new radiators do that. And the lower radiator hose looks lie it is real long and goes through the belt, very specific pathway. Does anyone have good part # for radiator hoses that will work? Or I suppose I see several of these new flexible hoses? Do those really work?

thanks for all the help guys. probably take it out and have it tested, then see what the next steps are.

The pictures from suppliers aren't always accurate. A small angle shouldn't have much effect.

At least you have options - I'd start with removing it and having it cleaned/tested/repaired. If that doesn't work or the shop says it's a no-go, then you can get a replacement/upgrade.

There are good, cheap upgraded models out there, but always work best with a shroud!

You are always better going with more area than depth on a radiator. I would use a three row for maximum cooling capacity.

Thicker radiators have more flow resistance, that's why area is better than depth if you have a choice.

Shrouds will help direct and pull the air through the radiator.

I would try to order the correct factory molded hose if the outlet is in the same location, and see if it will work with the slight angle...

A flex hose will work, but not as durable as a correct molded hose.

-
Back