Any Neon techs?

-

moper

Reaction score
My '97 Neon needs a PCM. I bought a reman for it, but there's a note saying it needs to have the VIN put in before it will not set codes. I also hear that the '97 is too old and you can just swap them. Anybody have any first hand info on replacing them?

Ive owned several 1gn and 2gn neons. 1gns do not have to have the vin put into it when swapped. Any '97-'99 pcm will plug into your car and work SOHC/DOHC auto/manual. However there are differences so it would be best to get a PCM out of a car with the same engine and trans. neons.org has a list of all the pcm numbers. everything you need to know will be there.

And now that I think of it, I believe I still have a PCM out of a '98 SOHC ACR in the shop...

Ive owned several 1gn and 2gn neons. 1gns do not have to have the vin put into it when swapped. Any '97-'99 pcm will plug into your car and work SOHC/DOHC auto/manual. However there are differences so it would be best to get a PCM out of a car with the same engine and trans. neons.org has a list of all the pcm numbers. everything you need to know will be there.

And now that I think of it, I believe I still have a PCM out of a '98 SOHC ACR in the shop...

this info is correct ^^ if it were a second gen neon it would have to be programmed

My '97 Neon needs a PCM. I bought a reman for it, but there's a note saying it needs to have the VIN put in before it will not set codes. I also hear that the '97 is too old and you can just swap them. Anybody have any first hand info on replacing them?

Try Modern Performance

http://www.modernperformance.com/pr...n_dohc/9599neon_engine_electroniccontrolunits

I've always run the Mopar performance units. You will need to run 93 octane. I never put a VIN code in, they always ran great. 5 speed or automatic?

I didn't think that 1st gen needed it. The car is archaic - early OBDII, analog gages and odometer, no options... And I'd been hearing 1st gen didn't - you are confirming that for me. I got the right one (via number off the factory PCM) so it should be fine but I wanted to be sure before I started cutting the plastic and plugging things in. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all the help guys!

Try Modern Performance

http://www.modernperformance.com/pr...n_dohc/9599neon_engine_electroniccontrolunits

I've always run the Mopar performance units. You will need to run 93 octane. I never put a VIN code in, they always ran great. 5 speed or automatic?

I always run 93 anyway. I've had this one since 2003. Years ago I ported the throttle body, intake, head, and exhaust, had the head milled, and advanced the intake cam. It's fairly quick but it's got almost 300K on it. '97, DOHC, stick. With 200K on it I outran a '95 ACR, and a later R/T from a dead stop to 100mph. I love the car but it's pretty clapped out at this point. I'm ghosting it through until I find something else.

PS - it's one of the few compact cars that I can use a hoist and drop an RB block in the trunk to go to the machine shop, carry three passengers in, and that my fits my golf clubs in the trunk without taking the driver out of the bag.

Nice, I bought a 96 ACR coupe new. Wow, made a believer out of me too. Bought a 98, 4 door, as my daily driver. For some reason it needs a clutch??? I find running 93 is not a big deal when you put 10 gallons in every couple weeks, better mpg to boot. Good luck finding something comparable for the price.

-
Back