Any new Ram Owners?

-

thebearded1

Reaction score
Long story short I have been looking into getting my first new truck, bought a 2022 Ram 1500 Warlock 5.7L in early September and started having issues at 400 total miles. The engine wouldn't idle on a cold start and would pop sputter and cut out. Dealer couldn't fix it, and the lemon law process finally went through and Ram is buying the truck back on Tuesday.

Anyone here own a newer Ram and have any feedback? I'd like to stick with Ram and couldn't find this idle issue on the ram forums so I think i truly got a fluke. My father and father-in-law both have 2021 and 2022 Rams and have had no issues.

I wanted the Ram with 3.92 gears as I will be towing my hot rod to races but i am only finding the 3.21. Will this make that much of a difference? I plan to tow my car on an open trailer likely steel to save money. Car is 1600 lbs so with a trailer and spare parts i'm guessing i will be towing around 4000lbs.

Any feedback/reviews appreciated.

Thanks
Gene

My wife got one in the spring. She has 17000 miles on it no issues.

That sounds like failing mds lifters.
3.21 gears will pull fine but I wouldn't be doing big long hills, is that a 6 speed auto ?

That sounds like failing mds lifters.
3.21 gears will pull fine but I wouldn't be doing big long hills, is that a 6 speed auto ?
Yea who knows the truck was at the Ram dealer from Sept 19-present and they still haven't figured it out even after reaching out to FCA engineers. The problem only last a minute if it didn't cut out and the the idle would act normal. If the truck cut out it would start fine when you started it again.
It's an 8 speed automatic. It will be mostly flat towing although most of the races are in Pennsylvania it's south central so shouldn't be too bad.

Yea who knows the truck was at the Ram dealer from Sept 19-present and they still haven't figured it out even after reaching out to FCA engineers. The problem only last a minute if it didn't cut out and the the idle would act normal. If the truck cut out it would start fine when you started it again.
It's an 8 speed automatic. It will be mostly flat towing although most of the races are in Pennsylvania it's south central so shouldn't be too bad.
8 speed auto and mostly flat towing, I'd think it would be just fine.

I’ve got a 2020 1500 Classic 5.7 8s of 3.21s. It will easily pull a full size car trailer with a car on it. My good friend has a ‘15 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 with 3.21s and he pulls his car trailer regularly.

Long story short I have been looking into getting my first new truck, bought a 2022 Ram 1500 Warlock 5.7L in early September and started having issues at 400 total miles. The engine wouldn't idle on a cold start and would pop sputter and cut out. Dealer couldn't fix it, and the lemon law process finally went through and Ram is buying the truck back on Tuesday.

Anyone here own a newer Ram and have any feedback? I'd like to stick with Ram and couldn't find this idle issue on the ram forums so I think i truly got a fluke. My father and father-in-law both have 2021 and 2022 Rams and have had no issues.

I wanted the Ram with 3.92 gears as I will be towing my hot rod to races but i am only finding the 3.21. Will this make that much of a difference? I plan to tow my car on an open trailer likely steel to save money. Car is 1600 lbs so with a trailer and spare parts i'm guessing i will be towing around 4000lbs.

Any feedback/reviews appreciated.

Thanks
Gene
I hate to say this, but gm has a better truck than dodge. Dodge trucks are known for their problems

I hate to say this, but gm has a better truck than dodge. Dodge trucks are known for their problems
Well with GMC/Chevy's all I see now on forums and reviews is complaints of shift searching and other transmission problems and the well known lifter failure issue on v8s. Overall ratings on edmunds are worse for Chevy 1500 than Ram 1500.

My last truck and again to be current truck after I sell the Ram back is a 2003 Silverado 1500 with 245,000 miles so i'm not a Chevy hater. I did have to replace the trans at around 180,000 miles and I never towed anything. Not sure what the previous owner used it for, bought it used in 2011 with 67,000 miles.

My dad had a 2007 Silverado 2500 with the 6.0 and had multiple transmission issues and he only towed with it a few times (open car trailer with lumber and a car here and there)

Well, too bad about the issue on your Ram, something unique for sure, but ALL vehicles have there issues, I totaly disagree with the last post on the Chevy,....well I am biased for sure, I have had four new Dodge Rams and love them all my latest is a 2019 Ram limited hands down the BEST interior in ANY truck and most cars today real Italian leather real wood grain dash, and, inserts and steering wheel not the cheap plastic Chevy and others use plus air ride suspension awsome for towing with the Hemi and 5.7 great motors and trans, yes the early years had some issues but this tuck is AMAZING! Get another Ram you won't be sorry but what ever you buy always get the factory extended warranty they are worth there wait in gold!.

Well with GMC/Chevy's all I see now on forums and reviews is complaints of shift searching and other transmission problems and the well known lifter failure issue on v8s. Overall ratings on edmunds are worse for Chevy 1500 than Ram 1500.

My last truck and again to be current truck after I sell the Ram back is a 2003 Silverado 1500 with 245,000 miles so i'm not a Chevy hater. I did have to replace the trans at around 180,000 miles and I never towed anything. Not sure what the previous owner used it for, bought it used in 2011 with 67,000 miles.
One thing that should be done is a filter and fluid change at 50,000 miles. Dodge did at one time used a external transmission fluid cooler that was the size of a gallon zip lock bag and they are known for bursting. Unfortunately mopars have had serious transmission problems for a long time, I don't know if they have corrected any of them or not. The best way to extend the transmission life is regular maintenance and a deeper transmission pan and a external oil cooler.

Well, too bad about the issue on your Ram, something unique for sure, but ALL vehicles have there issues, I totaly disagree with the last post on the Chevy,....well I am biased for sure, I have had four new Dodge Rams and love them all my latest is a 2019 Ram limited hands down the BEST interior in ANY truck and most cars today real Italian leather real wood grain dash, and, inserts and steering wheel not the cheap plastic Chevy and others use plus air ride suspension awsome for towing with the Hemi and 5.7 great motors and trans, yes the early years had some issues but this tuck is AMAZING! Get another Ram you won't be sorry but what ever you buy always get the factory extended warranty they are worth there wait in gold!.
Real wood inserts? I've never heard of that before in a truck, must be a expensive option

I have a 2017 1500, 88,000 kms. No real problems, but I have noticed a slight "flutter/slip".
There was another member on here who's son is having issues with his 2023 3500.
Check YouTube out. LOTS of unhappy RAM owners.

The Ram limited MRSP is 95k cdn the limited rams are in a league of there own my buddy has a new top line Chevy lots of plastic, lt looks like s Hyundai inside, and yes the limited used REAL wood, maybe not important to some but I like the extra touches.

I understand there are issues with every brand and it's never easy looking at reviews or forums because the people who go to those are usually people with issues. That's why i always like to ask on non truck forums to get a general take to hear both positive and negative reviews. Ram will be issuing my a discount code so that may sway me but i will still be looking around.

I have a 2017 1500, 88,000 kms. No real problems, but I have noticed a slight "flutter/slip".
There was another member on here who's son is having issues with his 2023 3500.
Check YouTube out. LOTS of unhappy RAM owners.
That's sad, a brand new truck. Unfortunately it doesn't surprise me as dodge has had quality problems for years.

I have a 2010 Hemi 5.7 that I have owned since new. Just turned 200,000 miles on original motor and transmission. Have replaced brakes and shocks obviously, but the list of replacements to this point have been:
water pump at 80,000 miles, I did that one myself.
New radiator as the old one was weeping.
New fuel pump just a few miles ago as the old one was starting to act up so replaced to not get stranded.
rear pinion seal was done under warranty.
two starters but that was easy and did myself. Thought it was a battery at first but it was the starter.

I have had a diablo tuner on it since the day i got it and have always had MDS turned off. I didn't think it was worth the hassle having loss of cylinders for minimal MPG gains.
I have used Mobil1 since new and use 7.5 qts. every 6 or 7k miles.
I'm trying my best to get to 250 or maybe even 300 on this drivetrain and would consider rebuilding since the body is pretty good. I mean my truck is 12 years old and they still make the same body style sold as new, even though it's the older version. I remember buying this and there were very few new rams out and they were still a distant third in sales each year. How things have changed.

IMG_3872.JPG

Mine's not the new style, but I had a 2011 and now a 2015 with a 8 speed and 3.21's. I tow a 28' travel trailer that weighs 6500 pounds with it. I've got 87k on my truck with 43k of them towing the camper, there are no issues using the 3.21's. It's a bit sluggish from 30-50mph, but other than that, I don't regret getting the 3.21's. My neighbor has the 3.91's in his, and tows a similar camper, we both get the same mileage with or without the camper.

My dad and my brother had some issues with the older 5.7s. At work we recently switched over to ram from Chevy becouse of all the problems. I drive a 2022 with the 6.4 if your going to tow anything I’d go with the 3/4 ton at least. The 6.4 is only a couple mpg less then the 5.7 and it will pull anything you have anywhere you want to go. If you’ve got a 100 mile round trip it will cost you around ten dollars to have all the power you want. With the eco system when not pulling it’s not that much difference. With a discount from ram it would make up the difference upgrading from the 1/2 ton. Just my opinion, but I am thoroughly impressed with that 6.4. Went from a 6.0 Chevy to the ram and that thing is like a factory hot rod with a tow package

I’ve had lots of rams. I had my 2019 for four years and 65k miles. Truck was perfect and never at the dealer. The one before that was a 2010 I kept for 125k miles, it also was very reliable and needed virtually no non scheduled service trips. They are good trucks. Hopefully you can get your issue fixed. As far as towing, I tow a 8k enclosed trailer periodically. Both my trucks with the 5.7 and 3:91 gears pull and tow fantastic. My brother had 3:21 gears and it tows entirely different and feels way underpowered. If you tow at all, I’d go with the 3:91 gear ratio.

-
Back