Any Other HypoCARdriacs Out There?

-

seabee

Reaction score
My Wife has labeled me a "HypoCARdriac" because the slightest noise has me tearing into our cars and over-diagnosing problems. This mixed with my very intermediate mechanical knowledge (always trying to learn though) has equaled many nights of lost sleep, expensive and unnecessary repairs, and general stress.

I have too many examples to list but the newest one happened this week when I noticed metallic particles in the oil on the dipstick. This motor has less than 100miles on a complete rebuild and took me 6 months to get back in the car due to limited free time (kids). My heart went through the floor.

I spent every free moment since researching symptoms and reading pages and pages of threads and was becoming convinced that a crank bearing was shot and another 6 months on an engine stand was imminent. I drained the oil, carefully poured it through panty hose, dissected the oil filter.........but no particles. I replaced with new oil and filter, let the car idle for a while watching the pressure gauge (40-30ish psi). Things were looking better!

But, when I checked the oil...there they were again! Shiny little metal particles in the oil! I wiped the dipstick again....more particles...again....more particles.....

Turns out the new chrome dipstick had tiny flecks of chrome coming off onto the rag when I was rubbing it.

Anyway, any other HypoCARdriacs out there?

I am absolutely HypoCARdriac (and also an x-Seabee). Every new clink clonk, stink stench, flutter flatter, jingle jangle, I just assume its the demise of the car. It usually keeps me up for days til I get to the bottom of the issue. Ironically, if you would've posted your worries about the flakes of metal in the oil, I would've suggested the chrome dipstick only because I've been there.

Naaaaa, I gave up, letter shake rattle and roll!

I don't freak out about things but just notice and fix it, and if I have a headache I take an Ibuprophen without ever considering it might be caused by a tumor. :D
The Wife on the other hand thinks every little sound is the imminent death of the car and that headaches could very well be caused by a tumor. LOL

-
Back