Any Other HypoCARdriacs Out There?

Mopar General Discussions

1. seabee

seabee FABO Gold Member FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    3:19 AM
    My Wife has labeled me a "HypoCARdriac" because the slightest noise has me tearing into our cars and over-diagnosing problems. This mixed with my very intermediate mechanical knowledge (always trying to learn though) has equaled many nights of lost sleep, expensive and unnecessary repairs, and general stress.

I have too many examples to list but the newest one happened this week when I noticed metallic particles in the oil on the dipstick. This motor has less than 100miles on a complete rebuild and took me 6 months to get back in the car due to limited free time (kids). My heart went through the floor.

I spent every free moment since researching symptoms and reading pages and pages of threads and was becoming convinced that a crank bearing was shot and another 6 months on an engine stand was imminent. I drained the oil, carefully poured it through panty hose, dissected the oil filter.........but no particles. I replaced with new oil and filter, let the car idle for a while watching the pressure gauge (40-30ish psi). Things were looking better!

But, when I checked the oil...there they were again! Shiny little metal particles in the oil! I wiped the dipstick again....more particles...again....more particles.....

Turns out the new chrome dipstick had tiny flecks of chrome coming off onto the rag when I was rubbing it.

Anyway, any other HypoCARdriacs out there?

2. MrJLR

MrJLR Built, not bought FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
    3:19 AM
    Lol....I'm not that bad!

Jeff

• Like Like x 1
    • Riff Raff

Riff Raff Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      6:19 AM
      I am absolutely HypoCARdriac (and also an x-Seabee). Every new clink clonk, stink stench, flutter flatter, jingle jangle, I just assume its the demise of the car. It usually keeps me up for days til I get to the bottom of the issue. Ironically, if you would've posted your worries about the flakes of metal in the oil, I would've suggested the chrome dipstick only because I've been there.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
      • rumblefish360

rumblefish360 I have escaped the evil Empire State! FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        6:19 AM
        Naaaaa, I gave up, letter shake rattle and roll!

• Like Like x 1
        • TrailBeast

TrailBeast AKA Mopars4us on Youtube

Local Time:
          4:19 AM
          I don't freak out about things but just notice and fix it, and if I have a headache I take an Ibuprophen without ever considering it might be caused by a tumor. :D
          The Wife on the other hand thinks every little sound is the imminent death of the car and that headaches could very well be caused by a tumor. LOL

• Like Like x 2
          1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
            By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.