Any plug readers?

-

68 gt man

Reaction score
Hey does this look like too much timing to y'all. I haven't had any pinging that I have heard but these seem kinda hot on the electrode to me. But I'm no plug reader for timing by any means . Anyone with experience help me out?

View attachment 1715683649

IMG_20210204_104414526.jpg

IMG_20210204_103400819.jpg

Last edited:
What’s your application? Plugs are to grubbed up to really read.

What’s your application? Plugs are to grubbed up to really read.
Sorry I had one image on there wrong. I'm needing help with the reading of the spark end not theletters or numbers. But to answer your question in case I'm misunderstanding. It's a pump gas big block with eddy heads.

Ya your combo can give you a starting place. But was that originally a champion #12? Also that plug is damaged replace them all.

Sorry I had one image on there wrong. I'm needing help with the reading of the spark end not theletters or numbers. But to answer your question in case I'm misunderstanding. It's a pump gas big block with eddy heads.
RC12YC. Yea I saw the cracked insulator on the one the other one wasn't. Picking up a set tomorrow and will see what the others look like. Thinking I need to back the timing up a bit from the looks of the heat on the side electrode.

Hey does this look like too much timing to y'all. I haven't had any pinging that I have heard but these seem kinda hot on the electrode to me. But I'm no plug reader for timing by any means . Anyone with experience help me out?

View attachment 1715683656

View attachment 1715683682

It’s rich at a cruise. If you are running vacuum advance, you don’t have enough timing. If you don’t, the timing is pretty close. To see anything else you need to take the shell off.

You also need to tune to the leanest cylinder. I wouldn’t change a tune up based on one plug.

It’s rich at a cruise. If you are running vacuum advance, you don’t have enough timing. If you don’t, the timing is pretty close. To see anything else you need to take the shell off.

You also need to tune to the leanest cylinder. I wouldn’t change a tune up based on one plug.
Thanks for the info. Actually that was 2 plugs one from #3 one from the #2. Easy ones to get to for a quick check of an inner and an litter. But I understand what you are saying about looking at them all before anything else. With the one being cracked I'm replacing them all so I will get a better look then. Bothered me about timing with that cracked.

Are you sure the insulator was cracked....or was it a manufacturing defect?

Dont look bad.

Chipped insulator around electrode.
Do you run any additive? If so it could be hiding issues normally readable.

View attachment 1715683656

View attachment 1715683682
A little tough to read at that angle
I can tell you that those plugs are cold for your application as their are not even burnt past the first thread.
The second plug look a touch rich, I like a little color on the plug.
Timing looks short, vacuum advance?
This will help
Spark plug reading can be complex and sometimes frustrating task this page will help make it easier and the results rewarding

I can tell you that those plugs are cold for your application as their are not even burnt past the first thread.
This will help
Spark plug reading can be complex and sometimes frustrating task this page will help make it easier and the results rewarding
Actually Champion 12's are pretty hot. I think the car needs a good tuning before you can read the plugs with any accuracy.

Actually Champion 12's are pretty hot. I think the car needs a good tuning before you can read the plugs with any accuracy.
Well I dont know.
I dont use Champions but looking at those plugs they are cold for what the OP is doing with them.
I like to see them burnt into the second or thrid thread for a correct heat range.
It is what it is.

Well I dont know.
I dont use Champions but looking at those plugs they are cold for what the OP is doing with them.
I like to see them burnt into the second or thrid thread for a correct heat range.
It is what it is.
Ya I don't use them anymore either. If the entire tune is off - carb off in different circuits, weak coil. old plug wires, not enough primary voltage etc. etc. you can't start off by reading the plugs. I've seen so many of messes you just wouldn't believe it.

Just an FYI. Champions don’t “read” like an NGK, which don’t read like an Autolite.

That’s why the plug may look cold to some of you. I don’t think the plug is too cold. It’s definitely rich at idle and cruise, and possibly needs a degree or two more timing.

Ok let me chime back in here and clear some stuff up for you all. Thanks for the replies by the way.

. It has the Champion plug that Edelbrock suggested to run with the heads on it. All the ignition components such as wires, coil, coil driver are new and there are no missfires. It has a sniper system on it still learning and base fuel being adjusted as I see fit. It is a bit rich at idle because it has some duration to the cam and it seemed to want a little more fuel for best idle. But it pulls 14 in of vacuum so it's not a monster cam. The timing is controlled by sniper but I have to set the parameters because that part does not "learn" no knock sensor or anything like that so you choose what you want it to do.

I started working on the timing table on it trying to smooth the transition areas because it had a sharp timing jump from idle into cruise. I could feel and hear it on a slow cruise through town jumping up and down. Other than that it was running good. I did some reading and found out the factory timing table is very sharp and generic. And looking at it I saw right away how I was getting that sharp jump. I'm running 19/20 on idle, advance is rapid blend up to 40s cruise due to light car with 3.50 gear 26.5" tire so engine is not loaded much. WOT area timing is at 32.5/33. Car is running good now but I wanted to check where I was on WOT timing. If I could put more in. I got concerned at the color of the side electrode at the tip so that's why I asked for help on this. I have never read plugs for timing only fuel. I haven't been messing with it since the post because I'm in the middle of this whole frozen down part of the country that's not used to this stuff and I'm not driving it.

This will help
. Thanks for that link. Very informative and will certainly help me out on this and other projects as well.

-
Back