Any problems putting 3’ exhaust on 70 Dart ?

-

Brooks James

VET, CPT, Huey Medevac Pilot
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Dougs headers D453 stainless, 360 mag, I remember reading that the pipes were mostly ok but exceptionally tight over the rear axle?? Any advice welcomed!

Yeah it can be done. I had 3" on my 71. Local muffler shop did it.

All depends on how you route them. Here is a '76 Truck H-Pipe Dual Exhaust. Going over the rear end with the duals from here was no easy task. Factory plastic gas tank on the driver's side, so have to run the dual mufflers down the pass side.

Resized_20190707_190740_3977.jpeg

Duals out the back with resonators at the rear bumper. Sounds nice and mellow.

20200409_204217.jpg

Here is a '72 Duster 318, Stock Manifolds, 2 1/2" TTI X-Pipe Dual Exhaust that ended up with DynoMax Mufflers to kill the interior drone.

IMG952017041995184456328.jpg

IMG952019030995103236847.jpg

Screenshot_20210430-223247_Gallery.jpg

Getting around the Gas Tank and Rear Shocks is going to be the trick, then you are going to have to find out how you are going to hang them out the back.

20190307_201445.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think back pressure is "needed" but rather wanted...
I have a costumer with a 65 GTO that inherited a 3" exhaust, x-pipe... I think a jegs kit... It sounds like total crap.. he's going to have it all changed out...

All depends on how you route them. Here is a '76 Truck H-Pipe Dual Exhaust. Going over the rear end with the duals from here was no easy task. Factory plastic gas tank on the driver's side, so have to run the dual mufflers down the pass side.

View attachment 1715731262

View attachment 1715731265

Here is a '72 Duster 318, Stock Manifolds, 2 1/2" TTI X-Pipe Dual Exhaust that ended up with DynoMax Mufflers to kill the interior drone.

View attachment 1715731267

View attachment 1715731268

View attachment 1715731272

Getting around the Gas Tank and Rear Shocks is going to be the trick, then you are going to have to find out how you are going to hang them out the back.

View attachment 1715731273

I didn't go out the back with mine. I cannot STAND duals straight out the back. I did mine at like a 45 degree angle dumped kinda in the front of the portion of the quarter behind the rear tire.

Similar to this.

QUARTER EXHAUST.jpeg

Unless you are running 500 plus horsepower, then a good 2 1/2 inch system will serve you just fine on a street car. Coincidentally, Engine Masters just did a show last week running 530 hp LS engine and the whole system with mufflers only killed 10 hp verses open headers. Granted a LS is a different animal, but it was an interesting, informative show. I'm willing to give up a few hp to not have to fight putting in the bigger pipe.

DrEamer is correct about not needing to go with 3" exhaust, unless your putting out over 500 h.p., 2 1/2" exhaust is plenty.

View attachment 1715731262

View attachment 1715731265

View attachment 1715731267

View attachment 1715731268

View attachment 1715731272

View attachment 1715731273
Both are sweet!!!!!!!!

I have a costumer with a 65 GTO that inherited a 3" exhaust, x-pipe... I think a jegs kit... It sounds like total crap.. he's going to have it all changed out...
Sounds (pun intended) like a mufflers issue

I’ll probably go with the 3’s for bragging rights. Mufflers are ultraflow’s no offset straight thru which I was told that there could be kind of quiet at cruise but will definitely sound off at WOT.
Anybody here agree/disagree with that ??

6" Diesel pipe, exit early straight up through the roof behind the driver. Good for 1000 hp on the street.

Well you don't dare say backpressure or all the racecar heads here will slam you against the wall.
6" Diesel pipe, exit early straight up through the roof behind the driver. Good for 1000 hp on the street.
:rofl::rofl:

It's about bragging rights...:rolleyes:...
Yes it is !! Although I should be with nitrous at the 500 hp mark. Which I will use occasionally want it and chrome traction bars also for rights. Also six ft flame thrower with purple flames

Yes it is !!
Each to their own.... but I've never built a car for others to say "wow". My cars only have to please me, and if someone else likes it, fine. But you spend your money to please others, and they don't like it, you just waisted your money.

Each to their own.... but I've never built a car for others to say "wow". My cars only have to please me, and if someone else likes it, fine. But you spend your money to please others, and they don't like it, you just waisted your money.
Exactly

86BF064F-FA70-4C3F-AEAE-94C587DD9847.jpeg

-
Back