Any words of wisdom before I start my front end rebuild?

-
Y
I've looked at videos etc and I can't believe it's that hard to get the LCA bushings out, but my first time on a Mopar. I have access to a press if I can't find someone to do it. You used a ball joint press for UCA bushings?
Yes, a ball joint press, looks like a huge c clamp with the appropriate adapters. I am a retired mechanic so I had bought one years ago. Making one homemade works also, and you can rent one too Im thinking. Whatever is quickest, I never liked taking time to make tools, Id rather use the time to work on the car.

I searched and came across this thread looking for info on the moog k7103 bushings. I ordered 2 sets off of amazon. I started working on the arms when I opened the boxes and there was only 1 bushing per box. Is that right? Every image I find of them shows 2 per box. I'm trying to find the answer to see if I need order more or file a compliant with amazon

I searched and came across this thread looking for info on the moog k7103 bushings. I ordered 2 sets off of amazon. I started working on the arms when I opened the boxes and there was only 1 bushing per box. Is that right? Every image I find of them shows 2 per box. I'm trying to find the answer to see if I need order more or file a compliant with amazon
I know it's not funny but that's funny LOL seriously I'm not laughing LOL

/\ Hey! Everyone likes a little but nobody like a smart one! Lol
I'm sorry I just pictured you there with your bottom lip stick out, going what the hell. It was kind of funny the picture I had my head. I really am not happy about you not getting your parts, that's not cool.

Lmao!!! That's pretty much what happened! :rofl:

I'm bummed because I bought everything so I could bust out the front disc/rebuild as fast as possible in one shot. That's not happening now. Story of my life! Lol

I'm bummed because I bought everything so I could bust out the front disc/rebuild as fast as possible in one shot. That's not happening now. Story of my life! Lol
Well I wasn't with it enough to do as much research as you did and ended up putting the regular upper bushings in and wishing I had the offsets. Another case though I just got done scraping back off gasket and had a hit and miss with my timing cover lol it was a catastrophe of RTV proportion. Just under $50 in rtv and gaskets. oh yeah and I need a new box of gloves make that 60.

And by the way that's where you really messed up, like I did! When you really thought you had every last brand new nut and bolt brand new, this brand-new, that and kaboom! LOL, oh well....
Patience Grasshopper patience.

I'm doing mine right now too i had one torsion bar that was a ***** and I had to cut it out and replace but the other side came out easy. I already had one but I'd invest in some pickle forks and a ball joint press! And a ball joint socket! Before everyone starts screaming at me the press is not for the ball joints! It's for the bushings I found a ball joint press is perfect for removing and replacing the upper bushings and removing the lca pivot pin! You will need a welder to remove the lca bushing. Or a 1 3/8 tap. There is a ton of info on here if you search it. And I will help you any way i can I'm no pro but im doing the same job.

20180619_175456.jpg

20180618_200922.jpg

I think this is getting too complicated. Boys- just drill out the rubber portion of the bushing, Knock it out, clean it up and leave the outer shell alone. Lube and install your single poly bushing- your done!

I think this is getting too complicated. Boys- just drill out the rubber portion of the bushing, Knock it out, clean it up and leave the outer shell alone. Lube and install your single poly bushing- your done!
My outter shell was completely rusted they had to go press the old bushings out and press the new one in nothing complicated about it. Imo

I’ll order the offset bushings and it’s my first time to do a torsion bar front end, but sounds like it’s not an issue. I have a machine shop I’ve used to press bushings at a fraction of what J Par was quoted. I’ll take my time doing it and repaint etc. The PO installed gas adjust shocks and they feel pretty stiff. Any shock suggestions?

Just finished with my front end rebuild and it was def an experience. Had a shop press out/in lower control arm bushings and when I picked one up by the pivot shaft it promptly fell out. Had to take to and old shop in town who knew what they were doing and finally got them sorted out. I've been surprised by the lack of knowledge at shops, part stores, etc on these cars. I was pleased that with some elbow grease and paint even the worst looking parts ended up looking good.

IMG_0896.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0971.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

Just finished with my front end rebuild and it was def an experience. Had a shop press out/in lower control arm bushings and when I picked one up by the pivot shaft it promptly fell out. Had to take to and old shop in town who knew what they were doing and finally got them sorted out. I've been surprised by the lack of knowledge at shops, part stores, etc on these cars. I was pleased that with some elbow grease and paint even the worst looking parts ended up looking good.

View attachment 1715206964

View attachment 1715206965

View attachment 1715206966

View attachment 1715206967
Couple more before and after pics. Glad to be done with the front suspension and now on to the brake lines!

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

Lets talk about a good lower ball joint, whitch are good, which ones to stay away from?
I used the ones from rock auto they are SKP brand they have others like mevotech and ultra power they are all around the same price and I'm sure they are probably about the same quality. I just got the skp cause they had the cheapest shipping and was the same brand as the upper ball joints I got lol. others may chime in on what's good or bad i put moogs on my everyday driver dodge ram and my wife's everyday driver mercury mountaineer and they have been great so far.

I am just finishing up a complete rebuild on my ‘68 GTS suspension. I found a used crush sleeve from a 12 bolt Chevy works well for pressing in upper bushings. I have the special socket for upper ball joints. So no issues there.
The real pain in the butt was the outer sleeve on the LCA. I tried welding a washer in and pressing it that way, it did not work. In the end I ended up cutting the out.

I found a trick to the lca that works a better than the washer for me. The washer kept breaking off so I found a large nut that just slid down in the lca bushing and welded it. It gave me alot more surface to weld to then i threaded a bolt into the nut and carefully drove it out! It worked very well me.

Lets talk about a good lower ball joint, whitch are good, which ones to stay away from?
I used DuraLast for the lower ball joints because I happened to be at AutoZone when I decided to order them. The DuraLast LCA bushings are the ones that slid right out but I think it was machine shop error. Went with Moog the second time around on the LCA'S.

-
Back