Anybody Else Write Music?

-
Youll get there man. Church sounds like a different gig, you probably get the set with a weeks notice and it could all be songs you have to bush up on. Alot of work. What is it 10-15 songs?

Youll get there man. Church sounds like a different gig, you probably get the set with a weeks notice and it could all be songs you have to bush up on. Alot of work. What is it 10-15 songs?
We usually play 3 and reprise one of them. The other thing is after I get the set list (Monday/Tuesday) I’ll download the songs I don’t know (quite a few as I don’t keep up with new worship music that much) and listen to them throughout the week. When I grind it out, I’ll play the snot out of them Wednesday-Saturday and study them, prepared. Just lately there is too much in life to remain as dedicated. Felt the best way was to step away for a short while.

We usually play 3 and reprise one of them. The other thing is after I get the set list (Monday/Tuesday) I’ll download the songs I don’t know (quite a few as I don’t keep up with new worship music that much) and listen to them throughout the week. When I grind it out, I’ll play the snot out of them Wednesday-Saturday and study them, prepared. Just lately there is too much in life to remain as dedicated. Felt the best way was to step away for a short while.

whoops, double post!

If you work full time, you really don't have time to learn new stuff all the time. My plan with our 3 Piece was, we learn about 30 songs, then mix and match three 10 song sets so it isn't the same show every gig. maybe throw in a new tune or two as we go to switch it up. learning new song all the time is alot of work.I undestand a church gig though is probably a different set every week but the same thing could apply ,learn a bunch of songs to have most of them committed to memory ,then mix it up every week, adding one or two new ones. My thing is, I dont want to sound unprepared and unprofessional in front of an audience, I dont care if I'm playing a voluntary gig, i want it to be good. I played a cancer benefit and musicians are like "it don't matter we aren't getting paid" I said it does matter there are people watching and listening.

so basically it should get easier over time, the hard part is learning the bulk of the 30 or so songs.
When I started, you learned from Guitar magazine, or by burning up vinyl or cassette. The opportunity to learn so much, so fast these days is unreal. Its remembering them all.... I know a guy I played with in a singed band with many years ago. Probably 8 albums out. He does covers in bars now. Makes a living doing it. But he uses a laptop for reference as he plays.. kinda like sight reading sheet music. Its all tablature. I do it for some Skynyed solos.. just to nail em. Then remember them by playing them. Its more fun that way!

Last edited:
When I started, you learned from Guitar magazine, or by burning up vinyl or cassette. The opportunity to learn so much, so fast these days is unreal. Its remembering them all.... I know a guy I played in a singed band with many years ago. Probably 8 albums out. He does covers in bars now. Makes I living doing it. But he uses a laptop..
Yeah same here. There was alot of learning by ear,if you couldn't figure it out you went and bought the book or magazine. Itching there's an interview where Jake E Lee says modern guitar players all learn the same way,and there's not much variety in playing styles...

Agree. In my situation, I knew I was going in unprepared and was already disappointed on the inside. I needed to be called out and also appreciated it. It’s sort of like guys saying 80% collects a check. Yeah? Well, I like to strive for 97. Could I say it was only one week? Yeah, but I’m also aware enough to know that I really don’t want to just be enough, that’s why I have declined any more until I can refocus on the music again.
I told myself I'll never do it again Unless its for God. And I may have missed that window, as the singer Passed earlier this year. Metal for Jesus! On another note, I wrote Alot of songs about the NWO, police state, government Corruption, Pollution, ect starting in the late 80s...one song actually was named " Corruption ", as another had a verse i wrote " Slowly taking over us, they are brainwashing everyone" that was entitled " Freedoms End" cicra 91-3

Last edited:
Yeah same here. There was alot of learning by ear,if you couldn't figure it out you went and bought the book or magazine. Itching there's an interview where Jake E Lee says modern guitar players all learn the same way,and there's not much variety in playing styles...
Definitely. For many reasons

Jake was Bad, not like Randy. but i can't see what Zack has done that's so memorable

Last edited:
At least it sounds good in my head and it's a work in progress like everything else in my life.

I have more but to give the idea. In my brain it would accompany a hard electronic beat with a lot of bass and all the territory that comes with electronic EDM music.

quand je suis dans tes bras, tu me manques tellement parce que je sais que ce n'est qu'un rêve.

bébé tu es au-delà du mileage parce que tu es le mirage de la route que je parcours dans mon rêve.

Last edited:
Jake was Bad, not like Randy. but i can't see what Zack has done that's so memorable
Zack, he's a stage performer. Black label society is ok, but I've only ever bought one CD The Blessed hell ride. Two things stick out to me in his playing, Detuned to D standard or Drop D and the pinch harmonics....in other words alot of his schtick is in the slack strings, squeals and bends. That's just what I hear, there may be more.

Fun stuff indeed!
Look up a band called '"apologetixs"

I'm thinking you might like em

As for "metal for Jesus"

I just don't know where I stand on that...unless you crank some theocracy
Or Christmas music...somehow I love heavy metal Christmas

Look up a band called '"apologetixs"

I'm thinking you might like em

As for "metal for Jesus"

I just don't know where I stand on that...unless you crank some theocracy
Or Christmas music...somehow I love heavy metal Christmas
Well, it beats the **** outta devil music

In my opinion, music is 2 fold; there is the energy the actual music creates, which has an affect on your physiology, then there are the words. I have heard some "Christian Rock" that had uplifting words, but the music was "Devil Music" in the way it interacted with my physiology. Years ago I got heavily into Jazz because there were usually no words (no way to imbed negative influences to the sub-conscious mind) and the actual music was uplifting. I don't buy into the "Christian Hard Rock" concept at all!

(As a caveat, I endured 4 years of seminary, was once a Priest, and have spent years studying the history of the Bible, alternate religions, history, and so forth. I may not be an expert on the subject, but I'm no idiot either.)

In my opinion, music is 2 fold; there is the energy the actual music creates, which has an affect on your physiology, then there are the words. I have heard some "Christian Rock" that had uplifting words, but the music was "Devil Music" in the way it interacted with my physiology. Years ago I got heavily into Jazz because there were usually no words (no way to imbed negative influences to the sub-conscious mind) and the actual music was uplifting. I don't buy into the "Christian Hard Rock" concept at all!

(As a caveat, I endured 4 years of seminary, was once a Priest, and have spent years studying the history of the Bible, alternate religions, history, and so forth. I may not be an expert on the subject, but I'm no idiot either.)

i got to say, i might agree
i haven been around as long as some of you guys have, but i believe ive seen/heard enough to say some thing are irredeemable (remember when Joshua took the promised land? some thing were not to be touched, but burnt whole)

or even before the promised land, when Moses was up in the mountain and Aaron made the golden calf?
remember the sound that went with it ?

And when Joshua heard the noise of the people as they shouted, he said unto Moses, There is a noise of war in the camp.And he said, It is not the voice of them that shout for mastery, neither is it the voice of them that cry for being overcome: but the noise of them that sing do I hear.

if you examine the text, you'll find that that "party" was accompanied by promiscuity and nakedness

you cant tell me that doesnt sound like a rock concert

(and having said all that, i still like it, in my flesh)

That's interesting, as alot of Jazz was wrote by people on various substances. I dig Jazz, heavily. But on the other hand " We Shall Bring Forth a Joyful Noise unto The Lord"

I’ve had 2 musical ‘peaks’ in my life; in high school, and (3 decades later) starting with this piece, “Hanna Sajamim”. Loosely translated from Korean, Hanna Sajanim means Head Honcho #1. About 1/2 of the images are from the Ganges Kahn Mosoleum in Ordos, Inner Mongolia, China. The rest are opulence observed in other parts of China. This became the 1st piece I fully wrote, played, recorded, edited, and compiled musically. Although many other songs were written and recorded since then, this has become my baby.

I’ve had 2 musical ‘peaks’ in my life; in high school, and (3 decades later) starting with this piece, “Hanna Sajamim”. Loosely translated from Korean, Hanna Sajanim means Head Honcho #1. About 1/2 of the images are from the Ganges Kahn Mosoleum in Ordos, Inner Mongolia, China. The rest are opulence observed in other parts of China. This became the 1st piece I fully wrote, played, recorded, edited, and compiled musically. Although many other songs were written and recorded since then, this has become my baby.

Cool. I'll check it out

not what i was expecting when i read "Genghis khan"

on a side note, are you any relation to a preacher called Ben Holler?

No. Actually, I don't know much about my namesake's family, so maybe.

I owned the same band for over 30 years, hundreds of songs, a couple CD’s, all different styles, from Irish to bluegrass to rock and everything in between. That broke up at the start of Covid, so I started playing in a couple other bands. Didn’t know how good I had it, and found that in every other band there is what I call the “weakest link” syndrome. Myself, the drummer and the guitar player could play anything at the drop of a hat, then wait 3 months for the other 2 member to try and learn one song. Or, dudes who forget the lyrics to their own songs, even with a cheat sheet to look at. I finally gave up and haven’t been playing for about 6 months now.

I am an encyclopedia of lyrics, and have a photographic memory. As such, I was always the other members crutch when they were at a loss for the words. It’s a curse really, as I abhor anybody that uses a technical device to sing the lyrics. In my mind, if you don’t know the words, then you can’t present the song properly. I absolutely hate seeing someone on stage behind a lyric book, who then messes up the song anyway. That’s not entertainment to me. Yes, I was spoiled.

I did way back in the day (late 80's). I'm a bass player but wrote all the songs on guitar. Testament, Flotsam and Jetsam and Slayer were my influences.

I did way back in the day (late 80's). I'm a bass player but wrote all the songs on guitar. Testament, Flotsam and Jetsam and Slayer were my influences.

Flotsam and Jetsam?

there is a band that doesnt get a whole lot of recognition

-
Back