Anybody ever re-bush a set of roller rockers ?

-

cannucky

The Guy With No Birthday
Reaction score
The bushings are shot on most of my PRW rockers and it was suggested to me by a reliable source that maybe I should look into redoing them , can't be anywhere near as expensive as dropping $540US plus shipping for a new set .So anybody got any thoughts /ideas or better yet actual experience doing this ?

Rocker Arms Unlimited

these guys may be able to help you .
looks like a pretty good option thanks , a local member in the parts business has tapped a Mopar guy he knows in the companies machine shop for his thoughts , hopefully this is just the type of unique little old school project he's into and he'll take it on . If not I'll be searching for the bushings to try it on my own and those guys probably have them .

I do it all the time. Depending on the rocker usually all it takes is a small press, possibly a bore depending on bushing OD. Easy peezy unless you got 273's. And if you have to bore you can set up a jig on a standard drill press.

Last edited:
Bushings usually just peel out and press in. Use a hack saw blade and just go real easy until you break through the soft bronze whatever stuff and pry them out. I replaced a bearing in a T&D rocker, popped out like a skateboard bearing. Use a jacks screw to pull the new one in. Like buttah.

LMAO I have a dumb question............How is it they are "roller rockers" if they have bushings? LOL

On a more serious note, lots of bushed setups must be reamed / honed to size, AKA the Mopar distributor intermediate shaft bushing, the old school distributor bushings, and king pins in older rigs, to name a few.

Gary at Rocker Arms Unlimited is da man. He will fix you up.

"roller rockers" refers to the method of tip contact. Not the method of shaft contact. They can be bushed or have roller bearings. I prefer bushings myself but the bearing versions (the high quality ones) are fine too.

Gary at Rocker Arms Unlimited is da man. He will fix you up.
I'm going to call him this week for a quote but first I want to see if this local old school machinist wants to do it , he's known for taking on the sort of things that used to be normal practice before our disposable society took over ,it's kind of his hobby and he's a Mopar guy to boot so hopefully I'll be able to save the exchange rate and shipping costs .

Okay just an update here .First the local guy said he didn't want to take it on right now , second I found an outfit called Dvorak Machine in Florida that makes a kit that includes the bushings , spacers , hold downs and a pair of under size shafts designed to work with their bushing , not sure the price because before I called them I called my engine builder to get part #s for the replacement Viton valve seals and a couple of other things I am replacing after 20k miles on this stroker , I mentioned that the only thing that has failed really is these effing rocker arms , this surprised him and he asked me to send him the scored up shafts so he could show them to his good friend the head of sales at PRW then changed his mind and said send him everything and he'll get him to send me a whole new kit for nothing so thats what I am doing .

Okay just an update here .First the local guy said he didn't want to take it on right now , second I found an outfit called Dvorak Machine in Florida that makes a kit that includes the bushings , spacers , hold downs and a pair of under size shafts designed to work with their bushing , not sure the price because before I called them I called my engine builder to get part #s for the replacement Viton valve seals and a couple of other things I am replacing after 20k miles on this stroker , I mentioned that the only thing that has failed really is these effing rocker arms , this surprised him and he asked me to send him the scored up shafts so he could show them to his good friend the head of sales at PRW then changed his mind and said send him everything and he'll get him to send me a whole new kit for nothing so thats what I am doing .

Dvorak is good stuff. Was the fella named Jim?
The reason for the whole undersize shaft thing (in case anybody is searching off the google) is due to 273 rockers not having enough body to accept bushing OD bore for standard shafts. Alum and/or rollers have enought meat for a standard bushing, but since most rebushes are 273's undersized makes sensicle.

I didn't call them so I have no idea what his name is but that for info on the undersize shafts .

Well heres the update , after shipping my worn out rockers and shafts back to IMM engines at Brians request last week I came home today to find fedex had left this on my front porch , Big thanks to Brian for stepping up on my behalf , this is why it's so important to do business with reputable professionals .

new rockers.jpg

-
Back