anybody ever try this stuff?

-

GotDart

Reaction score
Rust Bullet

I'm seriously thinking about getting a quart to put on the roof and in the trunk of my Dart. Would like to hear comments from anyone that's used it.

I have never used it but I have friends who had and sware by it. Rust Bullet is supposed to be better than Por 15. You don't have to do all the prep work like you do with Por 15 and don't have to worry about UV light like Por 15. No top coat required.

I have never used it but I have used POR15 and it's great stuff. Seeing that there web page is making all sorts of comparisons to POR15 I would have to say they think that's there main competition which would be a word of recomendation for POR.

What prep work with POR15? All you have to do is knock off the loose rust and clean off any grease or oil which I am quite sure they all will tell you to do that.

Aren't you supposed to use Marine Clean and Metal ready? Wasn't that one of Por 15 big thing? Cleaning the surface using their products for proper adhesion?

Yeah, I am quite familiar with POR-15 prep work. That's what I am using on the frame of the truck I am working on. This Rust Bullet stuff sounds a little easier, it is not UV sensitive, and you can paint over it without having to use a special primer. I think I just talked myself into getting a quart.

blackace said:
Aren't you supposed to use Marine Clean and Metal ready? Wasn't that one of Por 15 big thing? Cleaning the surface using their products for proper adhesion?

Marine clean is just a degreaser, you have to get the grease and oil off with any of the products. Metal ready is a mild phosporic acid (available at the hardware store), they recomend it's use but don't require it, it etches the metal to improve the bond. I have used POR15 a lot any the only time etching the metal seems to improve the bond is when you are puting the stuff over unrusted metal, I haven't used there product since I tried the stuf that came in a kit I purchased years ago. But then again you are supposed to etch the metal for any kind of painting whether you do it as a seperate step or buy self etching primer.

-
Back