Anybody have gear vendors instructions?

-

7dart0

Reaction score
Could anyone that has installed a gear vendors in there vehicle with an A904 transmission download the instructions for me? I would greatly appreciate it.

Tom

Here you go.

gv.jpg

Attachments

• 904 & 727 Operators and Install.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 1,971
  • Electric03.pdf
    476.9 KB · Views: 223
Could anyone that has installed a gear vendors in there vehicle with an A904 transmission download the instructions for me? I would greatly appreciate it.

Tom

Last I knew they didn't have a 904 adapter extension.
I just installed one on a 727 in a 71 Dart recently.

EDIT:
I see they have the 904 setup now, but I don't see any downloadable instructions.
It's really basic though and if I can help at all just ask.

Last edited:
that is awesome thank you. Yes If I run into trouble you might here from me.

that is awesome thank you. Yes If I run into trouble you might here from me.

No problem.
The only real concern about the actual installation is the end freeplay of the shaft to shaft adapter collar that needs about .020-.030 freeplay so it doesn't push on the internals of the OD unit.
You also don't want it real sloppy forward and back on the shafts so you have the most spline engaged as possible.
My friend and I used flat washers inside the adapter collar trans shaft side to shim that freeplay to the .030 or so.

The electrical part is easy, and there are choices in how it can be made to shift in and out of OD automatically or manually.

That's good to know on the free play. What size washers did you go with?

Tom

No problem.
The only real concern about the actual installation is the end freeplay of the shaft to shaft adapter collar that needs about .020-.030 freeplay so it doesn't push on the internals of the OD unit.
You also don't want it real sloppy forward and back on the shafts so you have the most spline engaged as possible.
My friend and I used flat washers inside the adapter collar trans shaft side to shim that freeplay to the .030 or so.

The electrical part is easy, and there are choices in how it can be made to shift in and out of OD automatically or manually.

Hey Trailbeast, What do you suggest for a manual switch? I really don't like the floor switch that looks like the high beam switch already in the car.

Thanks Tom

Gauge4.JPG
Not to pirate the thread but I have the GV unit in my Barracuda. I have the foot switch and I also have the supplied manual rocker switch installed in the side of my console next to the red and green indicator lights. Point of information, the foot switch works really well and I use it more than the one on the console.

Last edited:
Hey Trailbeast, What do you suggest for a manual switch? I really don't like the floor switch that looks like the high beam switch already in the car.

Thanks Tom

That's kind of a personal preference thing.
Any switch type and location that you can live with is fine.

My own trans uses an adjustable pressure switch controlled by transmission governor pressure.
I can set the adjustable switch to automatically go into OD at a given road speed, or bypass OD with a manual switch on my shifter.
For example, when the speed gets below 60mph it automatically kicks out of OD and down to 3rd.
Over 60 it goes into OD unless I manually disable it by turning the switch on the shifter off.
Obviously your console will make this a no go, but choices are pretty open.

ShifterArt.jpg

That's kind of a personal preference thing.
Any switch type and location that you can live with is fine.

My own trans uses an adjustable pressure switch controlled by transmission governor pressure.
I can set the adjustable switch to automatically go into OD at a given road speed, or bypass OD with a manual switch on my shifter.
For example, when the speed gets below 60mph it automatically kicks out of OD and down to 3rd.
Over 60 it goes into OD unless I manually disable it by turning the switch on the shifter off.
Obviously your console will make this a no go, but choices are pretty open.

View attachment 1715282214

I wasn't sure what kind of switch the floor one was and what the current rating it needed to handle. I have the box looking rocker switch that says manual/automatic with the red and green lights next to it.

I can't tell you the amp rating on your switch, but I can tell you that most times there is also a relay that handles the amps and then the switch for activating and deactivating the relay that turns the solenoid on the OD on and off.
A relay is normally used to keep your switch from getting hot or melting from the load.

-
Back