Anybody running 17" Cobra Bullit rims on a Duster

-

challengergary

Reaction score
I am seriously thinking about upgrading the foot print on the Beater. I like th elook of the Bullit wheels that came on newer 'stangs and you can pick them up pretty cheap with wheel & tires. Anybody know if they will work on a Duster?

they have 5.72 backspace which might require spacers in rear to clear leaf springs. i'm using .75 spacers on mine

here are the 17x8 mustang wheel with 5.72 back space on a stock suspension 69 dart with an 8 3/4 and big bolt brakes and axles. the front will be a problem. gotts turn down the rotor hub so the wheel fits over it and i think it will be too much backspace to fit correctly. measure carefully. this is where i bought mine. was the cheapest i found. http://www.americanmuscle.com/17x8-bullitt-black.html

no spacers used.
DSC00033.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

the tire is a 225/50-17 plenty of room i would think. don't get much sidewall flex at all.

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00038.jpg

Wow - totally changes the look of your green Dart! Tight fit for sure on your Dart. Isn't the rear ww for a Duster a little bigger than a Dart? How long 'til you put them on the front?

I've actualy been looking on Craigslist and it seems like the going rate for a set of used rims with good tires is about $500.00 :)

Wow - totally changes the look of your green Dart! Tight fit for sure on your Dart. Isn't the rear ww for a Duster a little bigger than a Dart? How long 'til you put them on the front?

I've actualy been looking on Craigslist and it seems like the going rate for a set of used rims with good tires is about $500.00 :)

yes the rear wheel well is bigger on a duster. you would need to either move the springs in or put a spacer on with those wheels to get a bigger tire on there though.

the wheels aren't going on the green car. thats jamie's and she didn't like them. i bought the wheels for my yellow dart in my sig.and had to see how they fit on her car. been buggin her to put some 17" wheels on her car. found a couple sets that she actually likes so we have to save some money to pay for them..lol. we did the front and rear suspension on the car and all thats left are the sway bars and the rims/tires. its way too easy to out drive those little 14" white walls.

check out my thread about putting them on my duster! 17x9 bullitts. it is under "wheel route i decided on".

I've had a set of those sitting around the shop for over a year and just recently sold the BRAND NEW tires to a buddy for CHEEEEP.!! Then read the post about somebody putting them on their mopar and could have kicked myself!! Also have a set of Cobra rims. Gonna put the bullits on my Charger and see how that looks. I have always liked that style, more room on the B-body i hope.........we'll see

:sign3:

As mentioned in the link above, these wheels should fit better(w/o an adapter/spacer) in the rear with a b-body 8 3/4. I have a '67 dart, and have found a cheap set of 17x8 factory Mustang GT (bullitt style) wheels. I've been toying with the idea of swapping out my 8 1/4 non-posi rear in favor of running a wider width posi. 8 3/4 rear, and relocating the spring pads.

Thoughts?...

also... I'll be running a 5.7L out of a 300c.

I have the 17 X 8 (5.72 BS) on the front of my 65 Cuda, and 17 X 9's (5.94 BS) on the back, These fit as I have the wilwood disc's on the front and the back rims fit inthe stock wheel well with Yukon 4.5 axles and the leafs moved inward.
The front clear with the wilwods as they push out the track by 3/8's per side.
On the front I have 215 45 and the back 275 40's.
I have not driven the car, so as far as suspension travel and rubbing, i'm not sure. But as far as I can move the tires up and down at full lock everything seems to clear. It is very close to the sway bar at lock so if I do have any interference that is where it will be.

Although not as cheap as the mustang wheels, I got 17x11 Torque thrust for $550 a pair for the rear of my duster. Whats nice about those is you can order custom widths front and rear.

With 275/55r17 tires Toyo S/T ll

100_2832.jpg

100_2829.jpg

Blown71Duster, nice wheels. Any pictures of them on the Car? I have a set of 17x8" TT 2's I was thinking about putting on the front of my Duster and was thinking about a set of 17x11's or 9.5's for the rear after I mini tub it. I cant seem to find a tire around 28 x 12.5" for a 17" rim though so I'm not sure, but I'd love to see how they look on a Duster.
Butch

I have not got a chance to put them under the car yet. I am going to cut a dana to fit to these wheels and tires to the car. 28 inch tall tire would be easy to find ,but unless you want a drag radial tire that wide of a tire would be hard to find.
M&H makes some big tires , I considered them ,but I wanted something that would be safe on wet roads.

M&h make a 325/45r17 and a monster 390/45r17
check out the 325. It has 12 inch section width and 28 inches tall:

http://www.jegs.com/i/M&H/676/ROD-05R/10002/-1?CT=999

if they are 8" wide they should bolt right on. i am putting 9" on my duster and they will fit with a 3/8" spacer front and rear. plan on replacing all the studs with racing studs. i just got mine today from summit. i am waiting on two tires to come in and get mounted. hopefully friday i can have it all done,then i will post some pics.

hey pauly! i was looking for cobra R's before i got mu bullitt's!! them look much better than the early cobra wheels you had on there!! i likey!

18x9 cobra R's. i need a little bigger tire, maybe 45's, these are 40 series.

Those look great! :-D What is the backspace on those wheels, and do you have any spacers/suspension mods to make them fit?

wracks71- are those the 17x9's with the 5.94 backspacing? And then a 3/8" spacer to make them work right?

thanks. i have a body 8.75 rear and have to use .75 spacers in rear. with the 17x8 `96 cobra wheels i had to remove and cap uca grease fitting, with the 18`s i might be able to keep them on. attached tie rod clearance pics with both rims, not much difference...AND i have better clearance in fenderwells.. go figure. startin to think i can get 275-40 in there

user beware: i have no idea what the third picture is. :-k

wheel pics 003_1.JPG

wheel pics 010_1.JPG

0412091738a.jpg

-
Back