Anybody running 17" Cobra Bullit rims on a Duster

-
Yea I put the wheel on the hub yesterday and was able to get it on far enough to get the lug nuts on just to hold it but it hit where the wheel hub starts tapering down.

Last edited:
I put some bullitt wheels on my 72 scamp this weekend and have a couple questions. Converting to BBP, 11.75 brakes from dr diff, FF tubular UCAs.

Where is everyone buying their spacers? I am having a hard time finding some 5x4.5" with by my measurements 71.5 center bore. I am thinking its a good idea to get hub centric, but then again, are these bullitt wheels even hub centric anymore on our cars? I only need probably a 5mm to clear tie rod ends.

The fit is really tight between the bore and the wheel but I know its probably a bit off, I am wondering if I will need to consider this as a lug centric setup.

Also with the Dr. Diff drilled / slotted rotors I did not need to turn the rotors or wheel down because it has a large cone chamfer on the end of the rotor. Bonus.

I got mine on eBay and when they wouldn't cit the hub I had a machine shop open em up a little on a lathe. I believe if you contact The Lug Nut Guys they can make a set to your specs too.

Also, if your wheels are like mine, if you run a 8mm spacer or thicker you don't have to grind down your hub or open up your wheel

Hey guys just a quick question. I was able to pickup a set of 17"x 8" mustang wheels from the yard and I need to know what size spacer I'll need for the fitment on the rear only. Tire size is 255/40R17 and at the moment the tire contacts the leaf springs on a 1965 Barracuda with a suregrip 7.250" rearend.

Thanks for your input..

20161211_162310.jpg
20161211_171114.jpg

Hey guys just a quick question. I was able to pickup a set of 17"x 8" mustang wheels from the yard and I need to know what size spacer I'll need for the fitment on the rear only. Tire size is 255/40R17 and at the moment the tire contacts the leaf springs on a 1965 Barracuda with a suregrip 7.250" rearend.

Thanks for your input..

View attachment 1714997739 View attachment 1714997741

Start stacking washers.

I did the same thing when I was testing my Mustang wheels. I only needed +5 mm, and that was dead center in the wheel well with a little bit of rub. Granted this was my test wheel. It had a 275/40/17 tire on it, but it was measured to be equivalent to a 255/40/18 which is what I have on my car now.

Lowered wheel on Dart.jpg

Wheel Test Fit Rear.jpg

Nice. I ended up pulling off the wheel and getting out the ruler. found out I need 3/4" spacer to keep the wheel/ tire off the leaf spring. so ordered that we'll see when it gets here..
Fingers crossed..

20161213_181559.jpg

I did the same thing when I was testing my Mustang wheels. I only needed +5 mm, and that was dead center in the wheel well with a little bit of rub. Granted this was my test wheel. It had a 275/40/17 tire on it, but it was measured to be equivalent to a 255/40/18 which is what I have on my car now.

View attachment 1714998015

View attachment 1714998016

What specs do you have on your wheels? Thanks!

What specs do you have on your wheels? Thanks!

Front:
- Dr. Diff Stage 4 brakes
- Hotchkis TVS
- 18 x 9" wheel with +32mm offset (may or may not use +5mm spacer)
- 255/40/18 Michellin Super Sport Tire

Rear:
- A-body 8 3/4
- BBP Axles (pushes setup out a little bit)
- Dr Diff Cobra Mustang Brakes
- 18 x 9" wheel with +22mm offset (my rear end favors one side of the car over the other so I had to use +5mm spacers to make them fit right in the middle))
- 255/40/18 Michellin Super Sport Tire

I measured again and again for a month to make sure I ordered the right set of wheels and I didn't find something that worked for about 2 months. If I were to do it again, I would have used a 66-67 B-body rear end as I would have been able to use the +32mm offset wheels on all 4 corners. Your Duster has more room under the wheel well than my Dart. You might be able to get closer to 72Blu's Duster specs.

IMG_5765.JPG
Bumping this.

My Bullet setup...
'73 up discs and uca
1/4 spacer up front
5x4-5x4.5 adapter 1in wide-stock rear axle
'94 up Ford 17x8 Bullet wheels 5.72 bs
235/45/17 front
245/45/17 rear
No rolled fender lips or anything. Yes it's snug in the rear but I can get my finger between the quarter and the tire. Same on spring side.

Last edited:
Very good...

Just a little more info would help

What is the?:

Rim width
Rim backspacing
rear end type and year
Are the wheel lips rolled or otherwise modified front and rear

Good questions... that’s a tight fit on an early A. Rear axle is probably most critical.

Good questions... that’s a tight fit on an early A. Rear axle is probably most critical.

Edited

The car isn't running yet. So I have no idea if I need to roll fender lips. Just looking at it, it seems like the front won't need it but it will be close.

Edited

The car isn't running yet. So I have no idea if I need to roll fender lips. Just looking at it, it seems like the front won't need it but it will be close.

Great updated info Thanks!

Just to confirm... that is a stock 1964 7 1/4 small bolt pattern rear that came with the car?

Just pondering this, guys.

American Racing offers 17x8, 17x9 Torque Thrust wheels with various backspacing these days...Legends is another brand. They're generally pretty affordable too.
Is it still considered worthwhile to get a set of used OEM Mustang Bullitt wheels, machine the hubs, run spacers, etc? Are these wheels that light or even all that cheap these days?

They still look great, IMO...but still..

American Racing offers 17x8, 17x9 Torque Thrust wheels with various backspacing these days...Legends is another brand. They're generally pretty affordable too.
Is it still considered worthwhile to get a set of used OEM Mustang Bullitt wheels, machine the hubs, run spacers, etc? Are these wheels that light or even all that cheap these days?

My wheels are stock mustang wheels. They're fairly light. But I'm used to dealing with big off road tires/wheels. Lol. My wheels are pretty beat up so I'm planning on replacing them in the future. I plan to run the torque thrusts in 17x8 maybe a 9 in the rear. I think the 8in with the 5.48 bs will fit up front. I think the 8 with 4.5 bs will fit with my narrowed 8.8. I'm going to look at 9's on the rear to see if I can run them without narrowing the 8.8

The only way I would run the OE Mustang stuff is if I could get them super cheap. They're not really all that light, they're an OE wheel and OE wheels are always pretty heavy. I mean, they're aluminum and all but compared to aftermarket wheels they're not light.

The Legend wheels you can get on Summit have good backspace options, and they don't require any machining of the hub bores. They're pretty inexpensive too, so, I'd only run OE Bullits if I found them local for really cheap. Plus the Legends in the 17" size look a little bit more like the older AR Torque Thrusts, the Bullit's have a more modern look and less dish.

-
Back