Anybody use a Pro Bandit w/ a 727TF?

-

DGrace

Reaction score
Want to use a Stealth Pro Bandit in my Dart with a 727 & reverse manual valve body but don't know if it'll work. B&M makes the Street Bandit for the 727 and it appears to be the same shifter body - and it works with the reverse valve body....... It costs a good $450 so I thought I might run it by some that might have done it? Thank you in advance for any advice, wisdom, input, 2 cents, or whatever. <><

The 81120 is called the Stealth Pro Bandit in the description and will work. I have one in my brother's scamp.

It works and he loves it. I would be more of a fan myself if the cable routed differently. For that reason I rate it about a 6 out of 10.

The cable is forward routing and has to wrap forward and back around to the trans. It wraps to very close to the exhaust header.

Last edited:
The 81120 is called the Stealth Pro Bandit in the description and will work. I have one in my brother's scamp.

It works and he loves it. I would be more of a fan myself if the cable routed differently. For that reason I rate it about a 6 out of 10.

The cable is forward routing and has to wrap forward and back around to the trans. It wraps to very close to the exhaust header.
Is the forward mounting cable due to the reverse valve body? What cable bracket did you use?

Last edited:
It is has a forward mount cable by design. I used the bracket supplied for the 727 trans. I would suggest you look up part number 81120 on the Summit webpage and read. See if it fits your requirements. It is a likable shifter and even more so if you are not the one having to install it. I would prefer a rear mount cable shifter for an "A" body because of space in which to work with. Now, that being said. Your situation might be different. You might not have full length headers. You may have replaced your torsion bars with an aftermarket setup eliminating them. You might have a shop lift to work under instead of lying on you back under the car. You might have the hands of a pianist and can work in BMW spaces leftover as an after thought by some german engineers. These things I don't know. What I do know is. It's a solid, well built shifter that gets the job done and will work in the application for which you outlined.

It is has a forward mount cable by design. I used the bracket supplied for the 727 trans. I would suggest you look up part number 81120 on the Summit webpage and read. See if it fits your requirements. It is a likable shifter and even more so if you are not the one having to install it. I would prefer a rear mount cable shifter for an "A" body because of space in which to work with. Now, that being said. Your situation might be different. You might not have full length headers. You may have replaced your torsion bars with an aftermarket setup eliminating them. You might have a shop lift to work under instead of lying on you back under the car. You might have the hands of a pianist and can work in BMW spaces leftover as an after thought by some german engineers. These things I don't know. What I do know is. It's a solid, well built shifter that gets the job done and will work in the application for which you outlined.
I see the misunderstanding - the 81120 is the Pro Ratchet. The Pro Bandit - 81113 - is a rear exit shifter (and I'm guessing, a rear trans entry) like the Street Bandit - 80797.

I see the misunderstanding - the 81120 is the Pro Ratchet. The Pro Bandit - 81113 - is a rear exit shifter (and I'm guessing, a rear trans entry) like the Street Bandit - 80797.
The 727 trans bracket that comes with the Street Bandit mounts to the rear of the trans and the cable enters from the rear. That's one of the biggest selling points for me. I've had shifters in the past that ran the cable to the front of the trans and they would always go into meltdown mode.

The 81120 "in the product description" states "Stealth Pro Bandit" and will work for the application you ask for. The 81113 is also called a "Stealth Pro Bandit" in the product heading and in the product description. BUT it will "NOT" work for your application as it specifically lists it as a Chevy Powerglide application

I like the shifter (81120). It is a well made shifter. I don't like the cable routing. It is forward mounted which creates routing issues especially as it relates to the proximity of exhaust systems.

The 81120 "in the product description" states "Stealth Pro Bandit" and will work for the application you ask for. The 81113 is also called a "Stealth Pro Bandit" in the product heading and in the product description. BUT it will "NOT" work for your application as it specifically lists it as a Chevy Powerglide application
I'm aware that the Stealth Pro Bandit is listed for a Powerglide, however, it appears to me that it is an "identical" shifter as the Street Bandit with is compatible with a 727. They use the same gate plates so swap a plate and viola??? I may have been wrong in thinking that somebody has done it already - that's why I asked. Thanks for your input.

Update......if anyone gives a rat. Got a good deal on a magnum grip Stealth Pro Bandit shifter. Put a reverse manual gate plate in and used the 727 brackets from the Street Bandit. Rear exit cable from the shifter, rear entry cable into the trans, cool looking shifter......done.

Sweet, glad you got it all worked out for the rest of us ;). Any chance at a list of the part numbers you used and maybe a picture or two. Sounds like something I'd be interested in for my duster. My brother ended up jamming up his shifter because the cable wasn't secure enough and it melted the housing and cable lining on the headers. Bought a 1 ft shorter cable and all is well.

Also, for safety sake. Make sure the feed wire to the neutral safety switch is located on the inside terminal. He had his on the outside terminal and it was able to ground to the shifter housing allowing it to start in any gear.

Sweet, glad you got it all worked out for the rest of us ;). Any chance at a list of the part numbers you used and maybe a picture or two. Sounds like something I'd be interested in for my duster. My brother ended up jamming up his shifter because the cable wasn't secure enough and it melted the housing and cable lining on the headers. Bought a 1 ft shorter cable and all is well.

Also, for safety sake. Make sure the feed wire to the neutral safety switch is located on the inside terminal. He had his on the outside terminal and it was able to ground to the shifter housing allowing it to start in any gear.
The bracket that came with the Street Bandit is part number 10497. It bolts the cable to the rear of the pan. The bracket that pinch bolts to the valve body selector is not available separately (as far as I could find) but appears to be the same one that comes in the bracket set part number 10497. Hope this helps.

-
Back