Anyone built or found a fan shroud to fit champion radiator??????

-

duster360

Reaction score
Has anyone here built their own fan shroud or found a stock one and modified it to fit the champion radiator in an A body. Whether it is a 22" or 26" doesn't matter. Pictures would be great also.

I have
0306102142.jpg

its to suit a thermo not an engine fan but i guess it would be something similar

ben

Has anyone here built their own fan shroud or found a stock one and modified it to fit the champion radiator in an A body. Whether it is a 22" or 26" doesn't matter. Pictures would be great also.

I got one from Ledfoot Racing in California. It is for my 22 inch, three core has dual 10" fans, works great. Don't have a pic but it is just like the posted except for the dual fans.

I mounted studs to the radiator wall and used my factory shroud. Shroud bolt flanges hung outside the radiator. Can take a pic tonight if you need it.

I mounted studs to the radiator wall and used my factory shroud. Shroud bolt flanges hung outside the radiator. Can take a pic tonight if you need it.

A picture would be nice to see how that turned out. Would be awesome to use my stock shroud.

I bought a 22" Champion Radiator for my 72 Duster and had to move the radiator up about 1/2" because the upper hose would not clear the fan because where the hose opening is located.

(I have a Mopar Performance Viscous Fan with a fan clutch for a Jaguar)

I am will be starting off trying to modify my stock/repro shroud...needing to maybe cut a chunk out of it and custom bending something to replace the missing piece.

But article on making a fiberglass shroud seems to have merit.

I will be addressing my fan shroud issues in September when I come back from vacation.

Paul

I had a 26 inch on a b body and a 70 RR fit perfect...being new to A bodies,this may or may not help

I had a 26 inch on a b body and a 70 RR fit perfect...being new to A bodies,this may or may not help

I appreciate the B body info, it is good info to know. The thing about the A body champion radiators is they are not the same height as the stock ones so the stock shroud won't work without mods, if at all.

I bought a 22" Champion Radiator for my 72 Duster and had to move the radiator up about 1/2" because the upper hose would not clear the fan because where the hose opening is located.

(I have a Mopar Performance Viscous Fan with a fan clutch for a Jaguar)

...l

Same situation here. If Champion would just move the uppoer hose inlet outward a few inches I think a stock shroud would fit.

I didn't move my radiator up. Just used a smaller diameter fan. Actually cut 1" off the blades of my MP fan.

When my radiator comes in I will be sure to post pictures of it and the install. I am going to try and modify a stock 26" shroud to fit. If not I will have to make an aluminum one. But I think I can make a stock one work. I am hoping all I will have to do is cut a section out of the center of the shroud and put it back together. We'll see.

im using the 26" with a big block, i think with the engine offset and hieght of the BB, ther eprobably isnt a factory shroud that would work. i very rarely have problems with the temp but when it does creep up its in stop and go, a shroud would help for sure. i was thinking of either aluminum or fiberglass, ive worked with fiberglass making speaker enclosures before and had good results, i never saw that link though. very helpful to see it done.

Champion told me their twin 10 inch fans would fit on their 22 inch 4 core radiator with their shroud. And it would fit fine in my '72 Dart 360 block. Well it does not even come close.
It did not clear the pulleys at all. I had to zip tie the fans to the radiator. I measured before I ordered and told them, they said it would work but nope. They said to ship it back (at my expense) and they would perhaps try something else. Shipping cost from Florida to California is quite expensive.
Now I too must make something else work.
I am not mad, but man am I disappointed.

I am going to get on this soon. Things have been crazy around my house the past couple weeks. Should be able to get the radiator installed by wednesday and go from there. I am ready to get this thing in there and see what happens.

Champion told me their twin 10 inch fans would fit on their 22 inch 4 core radiator with their shroud. And it would fit fine in my '72 Dart 360 block. Well it does not even come close.
It did not clear the pulleys at all. I had to zip tie the fans to the radiator. I measured before I ordered and told them, they said it would work but nope. They said to ship it back (at my expense) and they would perhaps try something else. Shipping cost from Florida to California is quite expensive.
Now I too must make something else work.
I am not mad, but man am I disappointed.

This doesn't surprise me. I ordered one of them POS radiators and it came in in a NON-DAMAGED BOX yet the radiator was as cockeyed as a blind rooster. I didn't notice it until I started to bolt it up to my perfectly straight core support and found when 3 corners were pulled up the other corner was out approx. 3/8". Plus my stock shroud that they told me would bolt right up was way bigger than the radiator. It overlapped top and bottom by quite a bit. I had the joy of boxing it back up, eating $30 to send it back and re-installing my old radiator so I could make a car cruise I wanted to go to. Oh yeah, the welds looked like chicken crap too.

Attachments

• DSC02273.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 2,071
  • DSC02283.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 2,089
  • DSC02276.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 2,037
  • DSC02280.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 2,197
i did the fiberglass one right after seeing that post. i thought of doing it but ive made the speaker enclosures but i just couldnt figure out a good wy to make the fan opening, until i saw that guy's site. our temps dropped so i cant do a fair comparison but i have been driving it daily the last 2 weeks and i got stuck in traffic a couple of times, it went up to 180 one time. i have a 180 stat and im thinking i need to try soemthing hotter. it stays at 165 pretty much all the time unless i hit a lot of stop and go for a while. i didnt do a finish putty on it yet, i wanted to make sure it worked before finishing it off. i didnt bother taking any pics since that writeup is pretty good. i didnt bother cutting mine in half the rad comes out easy enough. only thing i really did different is i laid a 3/4" aluminum flat bar in the fleece and wrapped it where it will bolt to the rad to reinforce the glass and keep it flat where the bolt heads sit. i tapped the champion holes to 5/16 and just used some body bolts. i bought way more waterial than i needed in case i screwed up so it was a little expensive but the first one seems like a winner and it doesnt look liek a stocker would work anyway. im using the 26" with a parts store 18" fan and jaguar clutch. i really didnt wan to go electric.

NO.

maybe when i get it all done.
all said and done, i spent 85 bucks BUT i bought way more than i needed for a fudge factor. a gallon of resin a piece of 5/16 or 3/8 mdf because i wanted to be able to really strech it into shape if i had to and 2 yards of fleece, which i found when making speaker enclosures, you can use all kinds of stuff, it just has to be strechy. ive used t shirts, the fleece works good because its strechy and when you fill it all up with resin it winds up pretty thick.

I've had cooling issues with my barracuda from day one and I've tried every wrong way to fix it. The temperature always stayed steady at about 180* while driving at 30+ mph, but I had to avoid cities and traffic at all costs because the temperature would just keep on rising to 220+ degrees. I added a 26" 3-row champion radiator and also bought their aluminum shroud with dual 12" fans. The aluminum shroud and dual fans sure looked cool but unfortunately they were not enough to keep it cool at an idle, and then the temperature even climbed while driving down the freeway! Their shroud blocks way too much air from going through the radiator to be effective.

I finally decided to start from scratch and just overhaul the entire cooling system. I already had a high-flow water pump and high-flow 180* t-stat, and the champion 26" radiator. I added a 17" fan with thermal clutch, hood-to-cowl seal, hood-to-radiator core support seal, and fabricated a custom fiberglass fan shroud.

The shroud looks great as you can see in the pictures here. I followed the techniques linked in previous posts in this thread. I used three layers of chopped glass, two applications of body filler, and semi-gloss black paint. Just finished this project this evening and took the cuda for a test drive. I drove about seven miles at an average of 45mph to get it good and warmed up, the temperature held steady at 180*. I drove it home and parked it in the driveway and just let it run for half an hour. Temperature climbed to 185* and no further. Success! Looking forward to getting stuck in some real stop-and-go to see how it does.

View attachment shroud1.jpg

View attachment Shroud2.jpg

View attachment shroud3.jpg

is that a 400? you using the funky passenger side drop water pump housing? i didnt do the body filler on my shroud yet i wanted to make sure it was really doing the job before putting anymore work into it than i had to. im really happy with it though. with my 400, so far ive only gone a hair over 180 one time in a lot of stop and go traffic. it has cooled down here in the last few weeks and now it doesnt even want to go above 160.

is that a 400? you using the funky passenger side drop water pump housing?

As a matter of fact, yes it is. And yeah, the water pump is the funky passenger side inlet. It gets the job done!

with my 400, so far ive only gone a hair over 180 one time in a lot of stop and go traffic. it has cooled down here in the last few weeks and now it doesnt even want to go above 160.

Nice! Yeah, it's cooled down quite a bit here too. I'm kinda hoping for one more hot day to give it a try. Oh well, there's always next summer. But in the mean time, I'm happy enough with the cooling now to start putting on some aluminum top-end parts. I see an Edelbrock performer RPM intake manifold in my not too distant future

I've had cooling issues with my barracuda from day one and I've tried every wrong way to fix it. The temperature always stayed steady at about 180* while driving at 30+ mph, but I had to avoid cities and traffic at all costs because the temperature would just keep on rising to 220+ degrees. I added a 26" 3-row champion radiator and also bought their aluminum shroud with dual 12" fans. The aluminum shroud and dual fans sure looked cool but unfortunately they were not enough to keep it cool at an idle, and then the temperature even climbed while driving down the freeway! Their shroud blocks way too much air from going through the radiator to be effective.

I finally decided to start from scratch and just overhaul the entire cooling system. I already had a high-flow water pump and high-flow 180* t-stat, and the champion 26" radiator. I added a 17" fan with thermal clutch, hood-to-cowl seal, hood-to-radiator core support seal, and fabricated a custom fiberglass fan shroud.

The shroud looks great as you can see in the pictures here. I followed the techniques linked in previous posts in this thread. I used three layers of chopped glass, two applications of body filler, and semi-gloss black paint. Just finished this project this evening and took the cuda for a test drive. I drove about seven miles at an average of 45mph to get it good and warmed up, the temperature held steady at 180*. I drove it home and parked it in the driveway and just let it run for half an hour. Temperature climbed to 185* and no further. Success! Looking forward to getting stuck in some real stop-and-go to see how it does.

Love that shroud blackhand. You did an awesome job on it, looks like a factory made piece. I still haven't gotten around to installing my radiator yet, maybe later today. I also have a factory 26" fan shroud I picked up pretty cheap and going to see how it fits the champion radiator when it comes in.

I got one from Ledfoot Racing in California. It is for my 22 inch, three core has dual 10" fans, works great. Don't have a pic but it is just like the posted except for the dual fans.

How much was your shroud and 2 fans

-
Back