Anyone else dream of E-Body ownership?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong... I adore my A-Body and I have always been proud to drive it and I'll likely never sell it. They're just GOOD cars- perfect size, light weight, simple, reliable, darned nice to drive in stock form, can be made into firebreathers, etc... what's not to love?

Unfortunately, fully appreciating these cars requires that you're a bit of a car nerd. Half of their "cool factor" comes from knowing how light they are, how wonderful their engine choices were, how great their weight transfer is for drag racing...how loyal these cars were to their owners in generations past, etc. but park a Valiant next to a teen aged kid and they just won't get it...unless they have been doing their reading.

On the other hand, put a kid next to a '70-'71 'Cuda or Challenger and it would knock their socks off. There is just something inherently cool about E-Body cars that makes them irresistable. I don't think it's an exageration to say that the visual impact of the design of these cars rivals any classic car, including exotics. Personally, I am way more impressed by the presence of a '70 AAR than by anything Ferrari has ever made.

Sadly, it seems that their "collectibility" is spoiling the fun. The ones that are left are just going up and up in value and really enjoying one is starting to become a liability.

Are the nearly as cool '72-'74 cars a viable alternative?

I gather that some of you guys have these cars in your garage already...how does it compare to your A-Body? Is it as much fun to own?

Any chance that Dynacorn will ever make a '70 'Cuda body? If so, would you consider building one from scrach?

I have always wanted a 71 Challenger...pursed one years ago. Got away, bid wise, on FleePay. Few months after the auction the owner contacted me. Drove from PHX to LA, if it were not so rough I would have bought it.

I always saw them as the vettes of the mopar world. I have no clue why but give me an a body or coronett or gtx any day over a e body.

There is a 70 cuda 440+6 pistol grip, shakerhood car sitting in a barn about 45 minutes from me. It has been sitting there since 1976. The old man has no kids or according to him anybody really, but the mean old coot doesn't have any intention of selling it. I have been stopping in on him every couple of years just to check, maybe one day.

I have always wanted a 70-71 Cuda but I do not think it will ever happen.I know of a 70 Grand Coupe convert. and I have been bugging the guy to sel it to me for 15 years.The only good thing it is in his garage out of sight.
My brother has a T/A Challenger and I hate to say it but it reminds me of riding in a Camaro.I hate the small trunks too.But a E body is still really cool.

But like doogievig said give me a B body....

Yes indeed
My aunt had a Blue Challenger, black interior, 3sp auto Console car (73 or 4) I beleive. I remember my mom driving it (this awas back in 75 or 6), I loved that car right as soon as I sat in it. My aunt could no longer afford the payments so had it 'stolen' and never to be seen again. Later found out it was dumped in a quarry. Sad

Well when I went looking for one about 15 years ago I couldnt find one in decent shape that was even then out of this world prices here in Ontario so I picked up my 74Charger which has a similar but roomier interior. Still isnt the same as a Chally tho

Then I found my 4 door 76Dart fo $250! Looked, smelled and felt like a dog but with some serious work (with some more to do) she's a great lil daily driver now.

I always saw them as the vettes of the mopar world. I have no clue why but give me an a body or coronett or gtx any day over a e body.

This is EXACTLY how I view them now. Have always wanted a 69 RR or GTX....

I wanted one 'till dollars vs car came into the picture. B/J kinda put one out of my reach. A's and B's will do just fine for me! They are still very nice cars in my opinion, just too expensive to justify.

No, the reason being my Dad traded in his gold '67 Notch 273 Commando which I loved for a '70 green Barracuda 318 that just seemed cheaply built in comparison. The plastic one-piece door panels disintegrated for example. A- or C-bodies for me.

My first car was a 72 challenger and my fourth was a 73 Cuda that I put a 440 in. They were fun but I would rather have an A-body in this market. I dont buy rare collectibles either. I want a car I can cut up and modify however I feel fit and not worry about hurting its value. I feel the fun is in what can I create out of something. I admire a nicely restored car but I will leave that to the restorers.

I've owned more than 20 of them. My first car was a 71 Cuda, and the last one I sold was a '70 big block car about 7 years ago. I got into cars because of them and for years dealt only in E body parts. Over the years I've come to appreciate things that might not be "mainstream". 4drs, C bodies, early As... There is a culture shift when moving to E bodies, and to a lesser extent B and C bodies respectively. A body guys have always been some of the best in terms of grassroots spirit and "doing less with more" and when it gets right down to it, it's the people that make the cars fun for me.

in nov 05 I entered the realm of the new muscle cars with an 06 gt mustang currently have a 13 rt 6 speed challenger what people lose sight of that when the 68 69 70 cars ruled nobody lusted after 45 year old cars. also have a 67 dart currently in storage

My first Mopar experience was going to prom as a senior back in 1987. I went with a friend of a friend that volunteered to drive us. When we stopped at her house there was a plum crazy convertible challenger sitting in the driveway. White top and white interior with 340 written on the side. My first thought was "wow" what a crazy car. I can honestly say that the car got a lot of attention.

In college our RA had a 72 B5 Challenger she needed to sell so she could move when she graduated. I remember the car being dirt cheap, but I also knew I was dirt poor.

If I could afford one I would buy one. That said I would also buy a RR, duster, or lil red express.

I've had several '70 Challenger's and a '71 'Cuda. '70 Challenger is by far my favorite car ever built and always will be period. Compared to an A-body they drive like ****. I found that out about ten years ago when I bout my first Duster. I will probably have another '70 Challenger some day. Right now I have a brand new Challenger and it resembles the '70 and is just so much Fun..... As far as 72-74 E-bodies I have had a couple 'cuda's don't like the looks of those and Challenger's 72-74 are hideous.

i like the looks of some of them but never really had the urge to own one. don't really like the interiors of them. way too much cheap looking plastic, don't like the seating position. just prefer an a or b body.

As a owner of a '73-340-4spd Cuda, there IS that WOW factor when people see it.
I jus brush it off and tell them it is no big deal, it's just a toy car same as any other here.
Please do so let it be known that I'm sort of lucky in a way. I purchased the car 27 years ago for $600. It's still that beat up rag. While I would love to do it up, I'd hate I loose that in a way since as it sits, I can do no wrong.

If you really want one, keep on saving. It need not be mint to enjoy.
Drivers fetch approx. $15K it'll take another 15-30k to make it right. I don't have that kind of disposable cash. So it stays a rag-a-muffin. A very enjoyable one.

Six pack (AAR) hood is next. I herd they work well with the 6 pack under it. I hope to let ya know soon.

I was a Kid when all these cars were coming out,, as a mopar mechanic, I drove ém all, including "birds",, I hated the Chally/Cuda doors (heavy) so I kept my 340 Swinger

Recently, a close friend of mine was working on a 70 Challenger, just got it back from body work,, no paint.. Had another parts car,, he loved it,,

He got a call from his Dr.. and told to spend time with his family,,

He called me and asked if I could take the 2 cars off his hands ,..

Sadly,.. I acquired 2 Chally's ..

I'll get to them after the 2 Darts I'm doing now.. it'll be refreshing to work on a car with curves.. lol..

If I live so long.. sheesh.. lol

i like the looks of some of them but never really had the urge to own one. don't really like the interiors of them. way too much cheap looking plastic, don't like the seating position. just prefer an a or b body.

THIS plus I detest the stupid "spot light" dash lighting.

For what you are going to pay for a Decent E body ... you can get a pristine A body ... rather have a A body or AMX before an E body

Same here. The seating position is go cart like. I like how they CAN look.

Not to mention they are tanks of a car. Wide and heavy.

wait...which one drives like sh--? A or E???

The E-body does. They don't drive anywhere as nice as an A or B. Ask anybody who owns one. If they tell it drives great their lying. Yeah mechanical it's the same dependable engines,but that's about it.

-
Back