Anyone ever cut a vented "heat extractor" fiberglass hood?

-

MRGTX

Reaction score
I am always daydreaming about ideas that aren't the common muscle car type tricks, that are (hopefully) functional, tasteful/subtle, and most importantly, reversible.

I have been looking at fiberglass hoods for a long time but I have to be honest that the scoop hoods from AAR (not sure who else makes them) aren't my style, functional or not. I'm more inclined to get cold air through smartly located ducts on a sealed air cleaner...and use the fiberglass hood as an opportunity to improve ventilation.

There are some "cut a hole and drop in" type vents out there...most of which are hideous but some might be ok.

Has anyone done this? If so, how did it come out? How did you pick the location for the vents?

Pictured below is the Tiger Racing hood developed with the help of Ford for their Boss 302S race cars. Evidentially, they help immensely with under-hood temps. Something like this would be neat...

Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome.

IMG_5542.PNG

Interesting. I've been toying with ideas on venting the engine bay in my car through part of the cowl vent.
Nothing workable yet, and would likely take some real surgery to pull it off.

If that's your bag, run no hood.

Well, that's not quite my bag but it would do the trick. :)

Interesting. I've been toying with ideas on venting the engine bay in my car through part of the cowl vent.
Nothing workable yet, and would likely take some real surgery to pull it off.

That sure would be subtle and cool...the problem here is related to the location of that cowl vent...it's there because it's specifically a high pressure area ahead of the windshield which pushes air into the cabin vents.

I don't doubt your ability to make this work but you would definitely need to make some air flow mods....maybe a lip in front of the cowl would do it?

I opened up a set of butchered stock scoops, with the intention of making them functional, but at the moment they are basically venting underhood air.

Cayuga pits.jpeg

IMG_4494.JPG

If you locate your vents (or even scoops I imagine) near the front of the hood (but behind radiator), the low pressure area formed by air coming up off the grill area helps draw from the engine compartment. Look at 1998 5.9 Grand Cherokees. The hood vents were air extractors, and the fan shroud had 1 way flaps to allow more air to pass through the radiator when in motion (more than the fan would move on its own), but they returned closed when sitting still, so the fan could draw.

The one way flaps are common on a lot of late models and, as rrr mentioned, very effective.

A buddy liberated some stock firebird T/A scoops from their crusher-bound donor, and mounted them high in the fenders of his '85 three quarter ton Ram. Hanging your arm out the window verified it, they were VERY effective, with outflow temperatures pushing 100-120 degrees.

Screenshot_2017-07-21-14-53-47.png

The one way flaps are common on a lot of late models and, as rrr mentioned, very effective.

A buddy liberated some stock firebird T/A scoops from their crusher-bound donor, and mounted them high in the fenders of his '85 three quarter ton Ram. Hanging your arm out the window verified it, they were VERY effective, with outflow temperatures pushing 100-120 degrees.

View attachment 1715072706
STRANGE, I`VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THIS SAME THING. I RUN A 6 PACK SCOOP, BUT HAVE BEEN THINKING LOUVRES IN THE REAR OF THE HOOD,BETWEEN THE SCOPP AND EDGE OF THE HOOD.Hard to imagine louvres in a fiberglass hood w/o messing it up tho.

Being an owner of a cherokee xj I know a lot of people love to vent those hoods. Might be a slightly different reason. They like to have a place for the air to escape while offroad so the hot air doesn't stay trapped in the engine bay.

Hood vents for Cherokees - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Interesting...I just sadly sold my '96 XJ 4.0L 5spd after owning it for 4 years and 70k happy miles (it was at 200k when I sold it, original clutch going strong). As far as I know, heat is the only weakness of that 4.0L motor...I guess they can overheat/warp the head?

The important thing here is that it sounds like it's worthwhile and helpful...

Yeah theres tons of drop in ones from fiberglass, aluminum and even carbon fiber ones, just google search universal hood vents. Been thinking of it myself, alot position them over exhaust to help draw out the heat as well as the air from under good, well if you have a hood scoop just seal it to the carb and run hood vents for all the heat. The company that did my dash insert makes vents out of aluminum.

A buddy of mine actually milled slots between the ribs of 67 barracuda hood inserts and then cut relief holes in the hood underneath to let some underhood air escape.

Yeah theres tons of drop in ones from fiberglass, aluminum and even carbon fiber ones, just google search universal hood vents. Been thinking of it myself, alot position them over exhaust to help draw out the heat as well as the air from under good, well if you have a hood scoop just seal it to the carb and run hood vents for all the heat. The company that did my dash insert makes vents out of aluminum.
yeah, I have been looking at marine vents. Don`t want to weaken my fiberglass hood to the point of it trying to buckle when I take it off. and want to paint them the same color of the hood, I have some paint left over from the body shop. Don`t want them to look cheazy either. Cherokee vents," would look cheezy on a hot street n strip car!

Yeah id love for a company to make more hoods like that for classics. But its always a custom order unlike ordering them for newer cars or trucks that are made that way already.

images.jpg

download.jpg

I like that hood, but a 68 barracuda hood w/ a 6 pack scoop in the middle of it would be too small to add those type to.
Yeah it would require a flat hood if anything. I followed a thread where a guy took an SRT viper center section (like mine) and graft it onto a dart hood, ended up looking awesome. unfortunately photobucket ruined the thread so i only see small images of it.
upload_2017-7-27_9-33-56.png

I remember that thread pre photo bucket, it did turn out awesome, love to do the same.

Yeah it would require a flat hood if anything. I followed a thread where a guy took an SRT viper center section (like mine) and graft it onto a dart hood, ended up looking awesome. unfortunately photobucket ruined the thread so i only see small images of it.
View attachment 1715075975
My plans for my 72 Duster are to either graft a flat Duster fiberglass hood and a fiberglass viper style or fiberglass hellcat style hood

-
Back