Anyone ever seen one of these?

-

roccodart440

Reaction score
from what I have researched it's one of 13,000 ever produced.

This is my new project. Picked it up in a Connecticut a few days ago. It's called an International Travelette. 3/4 ton. HAs an international 304 V8/3 speed auto/Dana 60. some had a cooperate rear but this one doesn't.

AS you can see the paint work is garbage but there is a lot of clear on it so it should cut and buff out ok. Need to do some interior work. Wheels, tires dropped and a nice set of wheels and tires.

travelette.jpg

travelette2.jpg

travelette3.jpg

I will say the guy was a vocational teacher and did a frame off resto on this. New tin everywhere there was rust. Mechanically it's great. The guy just wasn't a bodyman

Yes, friends of ours had one years ago, very similar the OP's vintage but was red. It had a V8 (I think the 345) and, get this, a factory 5-speed manual transmission. I always figured it was a rare bird, especially with the 5 in it. The owners just used it as the work truck it was built to be, and I regret not letting them know I'd like to purchase it when they got rid of it. It's long gone by now.

Yes, friends of ours had one years ago, very similar the OP's vintage but was red. It had a V8 (I think the 345) and, get this, a factory 5-speed manual transmission. I always figured it was a rare bird, especially with the 5 in it. The owners just used it as the work truck it was built to be, and I regret not letting them know I'd like to purchase it when they got rid of it. It's long gone by now.

They had a 304, 345, or 392. I initially thought these were AMC engines but are not., They are actually international engines.

cold blooded as hell and anemic. THe 12V will be much better suited as well as user friendly and reliable.

Yes, those International engines were very industrial. They had timing gears instead of a chain. I drove an International Loadstar 1600 oil truck for a few years in the early 80s and it had the 345. The seasoned driver got the truck with the 392...

I've seen them with a 400, that's what International called them, but they are actually AMC 401's and came with a Chrysler 727. My uncle had one back in the early 80's.

They had a 304, 345, or 392. I initially thought these were AMC engines but are not., They are actually international engines.

cold blooded as hell and anemic. THe 12V will be much better suited as well as user friendly and reliable.

My dad had a international pick up, it was the 345, truck 4 speed, and would barley run 90 wide open , stretched out on a long haul.
It was a very good work truck tho ! tough as nails !

That us a cool rig!

I had a 69 travelall. With an IHC plow on the front.
It was a beast. Manual steering,manual trans manual brakes. Didnt need heat when plowing snow,the exercise kept me warm.
I kept the plow and let the truck go last year. Had i seen pictures of the travelette i would have kept it and built a knock-off.

That us a cool rig!

I had a 69 travelall. With an IHC plow on the front.
It was a beast. Manual steering,manual trans manual brakes. Didnt need heat when plowing snow,the exercise kept me warm.
I kept the plow and let the truck go last year. Had i seen pictures of the travelette i would have kept it and built a knock-off.

This one has power steering and power brakes (4 wheel drums)

The power steering is crazy powerful. THe brakes are better than I would expect for drums. THe drums are huge though.

I've seen them with a 400, that's what International called them, but they are actually AMC 401's and came with a Chrysler 727. My uncle had one back in the early 80's.

They stopped making them in 1975

International equipment in general (on/off/road) were very strong and well made.
My Dad worked for them, 42 years as diesel engineer, before the Japs bought out International Harvester in Melrose Park,Il.
Now called Navistar if anyone cares...……...a lot of people got screwed out of pensions (nice job union)

There was a guy here at a local car show that had one, I believe his was red, the truck was all original except he put newer seats inside the cab. The truck was super nice and he told me it was not a conversion but a very rare four-door truck. I don’t remember the exact number he told me but there was very few of these made so it looks like you got a good score.

International equipment in general (on/off/road) were very strong and well made.
My Dad worked for them, 42 years as diesel engineer, before the Japs bought out International Harvester in Melrose Park,Il.
Now called Navistar if anyone cares...……...a lot of people got screwed out of pensions (nice job union)
Yep that's the truth, my uncle was one of them, he worked at the IH engine plant in Louisville Kentucky.

We had several at the lumberyard. Many drivers and got the crap beat out of them.Couldn't kill 'um.Rust was the biggest problem.
The IHC dealer was just 3 miles from the lumberyard. We had a few of the big boys too.

Last edited:
I believe the auto transmissions were 727 Torqueflite and the rears were Dana . Rode like a park bench . Your 's is outstanding . There was a IHC truck dealer near me and some of the new trucks in the parking lot had rust right off the trailer .

I believe the auto transmissions were 727 Torqueflite and the rears were Dana . Rode like a park bench . Your 's is outstanding . There was a IHC truck dealer near me and some of the new trucks in the parking lot had rust right off the trailer .

Mine has a Dana but some had an international cooperate rear

Mine ride surprisingly nice. Maybe the leafs are whipped?

from what I have researched it's one of 13,000 ever produced.

This is my new project. Picked it up in a Connecticut a few days ago. It's called an International Travelette. 3/4 ton. HAs an international 304 V8/3 speed auto/Dana 60. some had a cooperate rear but this one doesn't.

AS you can see the paint work is garbage but there is a lot of clear on it so it should cut and buff out ok. Need to do some interior work. Wheels, tires dropped and a nice set of wheels and tires.

View attachment 1715263042

View attachment 1715263043

View attachment 1715263044
I
im not sure about the year MODEL, but in the air the Air Force we had hordes of 4 door internationals.

Nice truck. Back when l was a teen a Travelall missed the turn on a county road and rolled several times. The body separated from the frame. May want to check to make sure all is good

I gotta tell you man, I like the wheels on your dart...these, not so much
(Not that I'm offering to buy you something I like better, just sharing opinions)

I think they will look god on the truck with anthracite mirrors and bumpers to match but to tel you the truth, I wanted to run 20" steel wheels but they don't make the style I want in a 8x6.5" bolt pattern....yet

-
Back