Anyone had trouble balancing Weld Draglites/Rodlites?

-

motorpirate

serial mopar owner
Reaction score
We are considering changing Dany's Cuda to Weld's to pick up some needed offset on the rear( they are the only 7' wheels I can find with 4.50 offset)
Their website makes a big deal about all their wheels being "Stud centric" and not "hub centric" and that an adapter is needed to balance them by the stud holes and not with a cone in the center hole.

No shop in Greater Cincinnati I have called so far has this adapter, or has any idea what I'm talking about.

So, if you are running Weld's, how did you balance them?
By using the center hole?
If so, did it prove close enough?

Looks like I can buy my own adapter off eBay for like $150, but I hate to do that if the rest of the world just chucks them up on the center hole and calls it close enough.

To do it right, you need to do it like they say-stud centric. When I purchased my first set of Draglites, I took them to the Goodyear store, and asked them about the stud-centric deal, No one had a clue as to what I was talking about. I had tires mounted there before. So they let me look around, and i found the fixture hanging on the board behind the balancer. They had never used it. My wheels were the first to use it and probably the last. The way the wheels are welded together, the 2 rim halves and a thick center hub sandwiched between. There is a gap between the hub and both sides of the wheel. The studs pull this all together better than the centering cone of the balancer. I suppose the regular way will work, but not as well as the stud-centric.

To do it right, you need to do it like they say-stud centric. When I purchased my first set of Draglites, I took them to the Goodyear store, and asked them about the stud-centric deal, No one had a clue as to what I was talking about. I had tires mounted there before. So they let me look around, and i found the fixture hanging on the board behind the balancer. They had never used it. My wheels were the first to use it and probably the last. The way the wheels are welded together, the 2 rim halves and a thick center hub sandwiched between. There is a gap between the hub and both sides of the wheel. The studs pull this all together better than the centering cone of the balancer. I suppose the regular way will work, but not as well as the stud-centric.

I have had both draglites and prostars balanced over the yrs, when the guy hears them rattlle , before chucking them up , you always get a deer in the headlight look , never have had a problem out of any of them !
I alwas thot that the plastic hole plugs should be in them before balancing , but never got around to getting a set .

-
Back