Anyone have a proven aluminum headed, 500 hp, 440 six pack build?????????????

-

duster360

Reaction score
Looking for a proven 500 horsepower or close to it, 440 six pack build. I am thinking of going big block in the near future and would like to do an aluminum headed 440 six pack build. Would like to keep the stock stroke crank. I know it would probably be easier to get that power with a aftermarket single 4 barrel intake, but I would like to see if anyone has done it and what the specs are.

Last edited:
Does it have to have aluminum heads? You need a copy of "Old Reliable The Practical 440 Race Motor" by Don Dulmage. Most everybody whose anybody with a big block has either read it or has a copy. It is a fantastic book.

I would prefer aluminum to get some of the weight off the frontend of the dart. BUT, I do have a set of 452 heads here. I looked for that book after you posted this RRR. Seems to be sold out and unavailable in hard copy or pdf.

My 70 Charger ran 12.30s @ 112 with a Stock Short block , 550 Solid roller , 906 home ported heads and a 6 pak. Full trim and thru 2.5 exhaust. 3.55s
Thats a 3900 lb car

Looking for a proven 500 horsepower or close to it, 440 six pack build. I am thinking of going big block in the near future and would like to do an aluminum headed 440 six pack build. Would like to keep the stock stroke crank. I know it would probably be easier to get that power with a aftermarket single 4 barrel intake, but I would like to see if anyone has done it and what the specs are.
You can use the TF 240 heads, nice hyd. roller cam and 9.7:1 and be at 500+.

A friend built a 30 over 440 with a Fairly mild Comp hydraulic and some ported 906's. Just a tick less than 500 hp and over 500 tq.
Very mild and streetable.

I would prefer aluminum to get some of the weight off the frontend of the dart. BUT, I do have a set of 452 heads here. I looked for that book after you posted this RRR. Seems to be sold out and unavailable in hard copy or pdf.

Man that blows. That book should be a must have for anyone with big block interest.

Post a WANTED ad on here for the book.
It worked for me a few months ago and I got exactly what I was looking for!

500 HP 440 is like a 400 HP 360, really takes little effort to get that kind of power from the displacement meaning there are a lot of proven ways to get there and you don't need any trick expensive parts. Just a good combo of cam, heads and headers/exhaust (and having decent compression, not a 7.8:1 smogger although those still can make serious power). IMO at that power level a six-pack setup won't make much difference in HP compared to a modern single-4-bbl.

500 HP 440 is like a 400 HP 360, really takes little effort to get that kind of power from the displacement meaning there are a lot of proven ways to get there and you don't need any trick expensive parts. Just a good combo of cam, heads and headers/exhaust (and having decent compression, not a 7.8:1 smogger although those still can make serious power). IMO at that power level a six-pack setup won't make much difference in HP compared to a modern single-4-bbl.
I have seen a combo of a 537 hp 440 with a single plane intake on pump gas. I like the torque curve also. Tons of it way down low. Wondering how much the six pack would choke it down, or if it would at all at that power level. Here is a link to the article.
How You Can Build a Stout 537HP Street 440

Should be very easy to accomplish. Trick Flow 240 heads, mild hyd roller cam, compression ratio 10:1 or slightly lower and you're there. Are you using headers or cast iron manifolds? If you are sticking with the cast iron manifolds then you'll need to talk to an expert about the cam. A real expert. If you're using headers then zero problems making 500 hp. Even a shorty header should do that just fine. Don't get carried away with the header size, 1 3/4 should be all you need for that engine.

The limiting factor is going to be the camshaft. And the camshaft is limited by how much you want to mess with the carbs.

If you copied the build in that link, and swapped to the 6bbl...... you’d be right at about 500hp.

Stepping up to the TF heads would probably add 20-25hp.

doing a build right now , .06 over rb 440 steel crank , scatt h bean rods kbhyper pistons , roller hy cam , roller tipped rockers , steath stage 2 heads , eddy torker intake , shoemak'r shorty tube headers , tti 2 1/2'' exhaust , at 5500 to 5600 , 500 ponies n 500 fpt . in a 70 more door dart . 727 w / gv od , dana 60 track lock'r , 15x8 rears in the fenders , full on suspension kit from firmfeel bars , springs , bars , k member stiffener kit, it just a wild street ride !

My 70 Charger ran 12.30s @ 112 with a Stock Short block , 550 Solid roller , 906 home ported heads and a 6 pak. Full trim and thru 2.5 exhaust. 3.55s
Thats a 3900 lb car
What was the cams duration @.050?
I have seen a combo of a 537 hp 440 with a single plane intake on pump gas. I like the torque curve also. Tons of it way down low. Wondering how much the six pack would choke it down, or if it would at all at that power level. Here is a link to the article.
How You Can Build a Stout 537HP Street 440
Choke it down?
Or beef up the bottom end?
A single plane has its uses. If your going to ignore the lower RPM band.... single plenum!

I want to know about this.
Who does it?
Who has used it?
$$$$$????
I have a B engine 6-pack intake and a engine just waiting.
61128C95-4D1B-45AB-BDC0-7F619FC977C7.jpeg

Never seen one done like that. I have seen tests done on one with the dividers completely milled out and it killed the power. That one should do well.

rumblefish , i ran that unmodified eddy 6 pack with ford 500 cfm mech carbs on my 65 880 rag 383 w 480/280 mopar hyd cam . well it did good in that heavy ride with 2.76 re . but my twin four offy with two 660 holleys , just fit under the hood , hood pad was on the air cleaners , ran a sig erson solid cam @ 470/270 , ran faster , both set up would run to 120 at 6k in 727's secound gear with 225/70x15's on her . but the twin four got there faster . both setups ran iron heads on stock lowers with cams .

DSC00961.JPG

DSC00963.JPG

-
Back