Anyone here ever have their pistons machined?

-
The quench would probably make all the difference. I still never understood why Edelbrock would go to all the trouble of making a head using the most un-efficient chamber ever in a Mopar? Why? So guys like Frank here could use them and still have detonation I guess...

The heads I have are the 84 CC versions that are similar in chamber shape as the 1967 closed chamber 915.
Since this thread is just over six years old, why not post an update? :eek:

I did go with the thicker head gaskets. .075 Cometics. The pistons turned out to be .012 in the hole, not the .017 that I had thought. The head chambers were at 82.5 since they had been surfaced a few times. Final C/R came in as 10.07 to 1.
It ran great with the new combination. ZERO detonation and I even bumped the timing to 18 initial and 32 total. The curve is slightly slower since I bent the tangs holding the distributor springs. Full advance comes in about 2700 rpms. I know, I know, I should have tried this before I pulled the heads. It might have made the difference. SOME people are slow learners. Count me in on that one.
I have made several changes to the car since 2013. I pulled the Lunati cam out because I wanted a smoother idle and better street manners. I used a Mopar 528 solid. It improved the vacuum numbers enough to ditch the vacuum pump for the power brakes. Still no detonation but it isn't as quick as it was with the Lunati. I pulled the Gear Vendors unit, changed from a 10" 3000 stall converter to an 11" 2750 stall from Ultimate Converter Concepts. I switched from the 3.91 gear to a 3.55. I installed a Classic Auto Air Heater and A/C setup. I had the carburetor rebuilt by a buddy who also found an electric choke kit for it. I tossed my choke years ago but with the work I've done, I want it to be a 4 season driver.
The next big thing? I want to swap to a Tremec 5 speed!
A,bb,dtdxmg;.JPG

well I run 11.0 to 1 on 93 octane 10% ethanol pump gas in my dart without issues.
timing is locked out at 32 degrees.
but, I knew what I wanted mine to run on when I built it. I also listened to the advise of
the people on this board who know what they are doing.
here is how I did it.

440 block .030 over
eagle stoker crank
KB reverse dome pistons .008 out of the hole ( yes out of the hole )
.051 felpro gasket ( .043 quench )
indy sr heads w/closed chambers
custom roller cam 690/705 282/292 dur.
850 demon on the street 1150 dominator for the track.
fender well headers 3.5" exhaust.

runs great on pump gas w/o issue No pinging.
I believe the large cam & quench make all the difference.

Much the same as mine , but w/ way more cam . ,037-.039 quench here.

The heads I have are the 84 CC versions that are similar in chamber shape as the 1967 closed chamber 915.
Since this thread is just over six years old, why not post an update? :eek:

I did go with the thicker head gaskets. .075 Cometics. The pistons turned out to be .012 in the hole, not the .017 that I had thought. The head chambers were at 82.5 since they had been surfaced a few times. Final C/R came in as 10.07 to 1.
It ran great with the new combination. ZERO detonation and I even bumped the timing to 18 initial and 32 total. The curve is slightly slower since I bent the tangs holding the distributor springs. Full advance comes in about 2700 rpms. I know, I know, I should have tried this before I pulled the heads. It might have made the difference. SOME people are slow learners. Count me in on that one.
I have made several changes to the car since 2013. I pulled the Lunati cam out because I wanted a smoother idle and better street manners. I used a Mopar 528 solid. It improved the vacuum numbers enough to ditch the vacuum pump for the power brakes. Still no detonation but it isn't as quick as it was with the Lunati. I pulled the Gear Vendors unit, changed from a 10" 3000 stall converter to an 11" 2750 stall from Ultimate Converter Concepts. I switched from the 3.91 gear to a 3.55. I installed a Classic Auto Air Heater and A/C setup. I had the carburetor rebuilt by a buddy who also found an electric choke kit for it. I tossed my choke years ago but with the work I've done, I want it to be a 4 season driver.
The next big thing? I want to swap to a Tremec 5 speed!
View attachment 1715425878

Hit the like bitton, kick *** CAR !

-
Back