Anyone make their own interior

-

loganscuda

This/These
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted to do my own interior and am thinking of taking an online upholstery class for automotive. It’s $122.00. and unlimited access to the course. Anyone ever done anything like this. I can sew on a button, so I should be a professional by the end.

I’ve always wanted to do my own interior and am thinking of taking an online upholstery class for automotive. It’s $122.00. and unlimited access to the course. Anyone ever done anything like this. I can sew on a button, so I should be a professional by the end.
How long is the course?

We did plush crushed red velvet in my 66 sat. Sex on the hand! Lol 70s pimp style... I wanted the red gator skin from Jo Ann's .. but they were out.

I've uses some black fuzzy interior carpet roll from pep boys to recover the powdered closed loop nylon OEM stuff. Worked great. Glued down, cuts easily. Seats? Those are a little different

Lol, I'm thinking upholstery, like how folks who have stitched their own seat and door coverings etc. Kind of like my dads best friend who did it for 40 years.

This is out of a 1972 Super Stock Magazine...

20211109_173754.jpg

I have a couple friends in the sewing biz. One does shoes. One does car upholstery. Both have pretty heavy duty sewing machines. The one that does upholstery, has a programmable one that also does free hand. She can do anything with that thing it seems. The rest of it is hog clips and choosing the right foam, stretching material and making sure your springs are good.

You can do it!

As you know, your gonna need a pretty fancy sewing machine. I aint done it but a kid I worked with went to Wyotech, bought the machine and hates doing it. Not sure why. They sure make it look easy on TV. I say go for it.

Beats the hell outta paying up front, then waiting almost a year....unless you are doing a Concourse Restoration, do it

I'm going to try some door panels in the future. Wish me luck! Lol 65'

The nice lady that did the duster seats used the original blue and put the white inserts in. There was some foam and spring repair done as well.
20200628_181632.jpg
seems period.

I’m talking seats and door panels. I’m sure I can find a decent machine. May start the class this winter and maybe by spring I’ll have me a wallet.

Get er done!and post pics along the way! Creating something, from a pile of stuff, is always an art! Hey, maybe you should make some for my Duster first? So you don't waste material? It'd be a free practice run....? Lol

Been looking for hard board are backing board if you will to redo some door panels I have. Anyone have a source or an automotive upholstering trade publication?

Been looking for hard board are backing board if you will to redo some door panels I have. Anyone have a source or an automotive upholstering trade publication?
I just did an internet search for "waterproof cardboard for upholstery" and got some good results.

Kitty and I made the door panels and kick panels in Vixen. We thought they turned out good. It was fun.

-
Back