anyone put there convertible on a rotisserie?

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to my convertible project 69 barracuda on the rotisserie and just wondered if any of you guys did this once and had any secrets they would like to share especially pictures. I know that I should remove the doors and fabricate a brace to go in between the door openings to keep the car from folding in half. anyone have picture I would love to see them
Pat Faley
67 nb s clone
69 convertible project
East Peoria IL

This is my brothers 66 Coronet convertible on his shop built rotisserie. He extended the ends of the rotisserie and added a support bar the leingth of the car.

Attachments

• CIMG0671.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 908
  • CIMG0446.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 866
yup did my 66 and it was in ROUGH shape. I did brace the doors and made sure the torsion boxes were good before lifting it but other than that nothing special.

stripping it down to get to the rust.
View attachment DSCF1383.JPG

removing bad panels from firewall back to the tail panel. , yup no floor in it at all.(over the axle hump was just stuck in there to double check alignment shift)
View attachment DSCF1389.JPG

testing a 4 door over the axle hump. for fit.
View attachment DSCF1960.JPG

upside down . whoee you would not believe the crap that fell out of that car!
View attachment DSCF2051.JPG

finishing the front floorpans mating it to a 73 rear floor pan section. seat locations didn't mach on the 73 to 66 conversion but since I was using sebring convertible seats it didn't matter. I just used flat thicker gauge metal with extra 1/8 metal plates 4"x6" where the seats mounted.
View attachment DSCF2092.JPG

Seat mounting loctions for the newer style seats. added metal plates under car for the seats since they have an integrated seatbelt.
View attachment DSCF2893.JPG
testing to see if the stock seats would work also befor I decided of the later seats.
View attachment DSCF2112.JPG

and sound/heat proofing the floor of the dart.
View attachment DSCF3020.JPG

I could not detect sag in the car when it was on the rotisserie. but I know there was some flex since I couldn't loosen the door bracing bolts if it was up in the air.

Whirlyjig rotisseries have a conv. kit that works just like Dartdads setup in the pics above. I have to do my wifes 69 Dart conv in a few years, and when I put it on the rotisserie....I think I will brace the doors AND use the WhirlyJig conv kit! Yep...I might be just a little bitty bit paranoid. :axe:

Two so far and no problems

All i know is we had a 70 Coronet R/T Convertible with added frame connectors and that sucker couldn't close a door if it was parked on a bump...

I know i wouldn't after having a caged falcon wrinkle a quarter panel, and it was a post car with a 10pt cage

No problems with mine......

Attachments

• 2013-11-13 18.04.07.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 739
  • 2013-11-13 18.04.20.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 640
  • 2013-11-13 18.04.26.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 629
Mine was fine and I didn't brace anything. All the weight was out of it and it seemed like a lot less stress than jacking up an assembled loaded car with a bumper jack. I did get my replacement floor welded in before the car went onto the rotisserie.

When I test fit the doors, fenders and hood I put some blocks under the frame rails to take the sag out of it.

If you rockers and torque boxes are in good shape, then it's a good chance that everything will be ok with just door bracing(at least early A's anyway)
cause this is what is really holding up your convertible

yeah it's a quarter inch thick and it should also be locked to the torque boxes front and rear to help stiffen it up even more.
View attachment IMAG0109.jpg

View attachment IMAG0110.jpg

I've seen it done several times. Brace the door openings and go for it. My GTS will probably end up on one in the next few years.

-
Back