Anyone replaced their radio in this generation of RAM ?

-

grassy

Reaction score
My '06 RAM 1500 radio has a mind of it's own.

It is either on or off when the truck is started..it may be working in aux and when you start it, it won't work.

If it doesn't work when you start the truck..there is nada you can do to get it to work..on the other hand, if it is on...it will work until you turn off the car.

Weird.

So tracked down a radio problem to internal to the radio.

Can you replace the radio with an aftermarket unit ? There is a wire that connects everything together...do I need another OEM radio ? If i get an OEM, does it have to be programmed..?

Life is complicated with the newer cars / trucks..

Thanks
Ian

I have an 06 Ram 3500 and I replaced the radio in my truck. My truck had the regular am/fm/cd radio - no navigation. I replaced it with a Kenwood navigation system. In doing this, I also purchased the wiring adapter to hook the aftermarket radio up to the OEM Dodge wiring in the dash. I also had to get a factory navigation system dash bezel to work with the new navigation system.

I like to get Alpine or Kenwood Excelon stereos.

If you get the bluetooth models, you can talk on your cell while driving hands free if you need to talk while driving. They also dim the sound when a call comes in, so if you have your music cranked up when the call comes in, you don't miss it. They are great sounding and you can add amps and sub woofers if you want, or just run the radio by itself, as they typically put out 50 watts per channel...

340...do you still have the old radio ?

Krazy...I have a snoy that does the same (and a back up cam) in my Freightliner..

Ian

I believe I do - are you in need of one? I'm at work right now and can't remember if I have that one still or the one out of our old 2000 Durango. I'll check when I get home tonight (10PM).

-
Back