anyone run a roller cam?

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
I got some used solid Hemi rollers and wondered if they could be used in a slant if I made the correct length link bars. Have Oregon cam grind me a roller (if they could as the roller lobes are super skinny) ..no hydro adaptation needed. Same diameter....?

Yes, they are the same .903 diameter. They used the same solid dumbell lifters some of the V8s used. The Hemi lifters should work.

I got some used solid Hemi rollers and wondered if they could be used in a slant if I made the correct length link bars. Have Oregon cam grind me a roller (if they could as the roller lobes are super skinny) ..no hydro adaptation needed. Same diameter....?

Well that's a nice little bit of information.
I know for fact that Oregon Cam Grinders does rollers.

yes, I bought 3 sets of Johnson slant solids for a V8 once, they sold them in packs of 6! Question is can they do a roller grind on a mechanical slant core? These are full roller bottoms, that could ride on a full width lobe but they would have to be ground flat with no rotational taper. Cant hurt to ask or is the metallurgy different?

yes, I bought 3 sets of Johnson slant solids for a V8 once, they sold them in packs of 6! Question is can they do a roller grind on a mechanical slant core? These are full roller bottoms, that could ride on a full width lobe but they would have to be ground flat with no rotational taper. Cant hurt to ask or is the metallurgy different?
As you know, roller cams have a much more aggressive profile, when compared to solid lifter cams. The roller cams faster ramp speed requires a higher valve spring pressure to keep the lifter on the cam. The higher spring pressure means that the cam shaft needs to be made of a tougher material than a solid lifter cam. Also the roller cam's roller contact point does not spin laterally across the cam lob surface the way a solid lifter does, again requiring a tougher material in the roller cam as the spinning action of a solid lifter allows the lifter to ride on a film of lube oil, while the roller on a roller lifter basically squeezes away the lube oil in front of the roller to cam contact point. This does not mean a solid cam re ground as a roller will not function, it just won't function for many miles,, may work for several runs in a drag race only application. Or, have Oregon grind the roller using the proper material-steel billet.

Last edited:
As you know, roller cams have a much more aggressive profile, when compared to solid lifter cams. The roller cams faster ramp speed requires a higher valve spring pressure to keep the lifter on the cam. The higher spring pressure means that the cam shaft needs to be made of a tougher material than a solid lifter cam. Also the roller cam's roller contact point does not spin laterally across the cam lob surface the way a solid lifter does, again requiring a tougher material in the roller cam as the spinning action of a solid lifter allows the lifter to ride on a film of lube oil, while the roller on a roller lifter basically squeezes away the lube oil in front of the roller to cam contact point. This does not mean a solid cam re ground as a roller will not function, it just won't function for many miles,, may work for several runs in a drag race only application. Or, have Oregon grind the roller using the proper material-steel billet.

The facts could be found out real quick by calling them and asking.:D

A custom ground billet roller for a slant with oil pump drive... I think that answeres my question.

Oregon Cams has done roller cams for the slant. I don't know if they still have any billet cores left. You will need to call them for the correct info.

A custom ground billet roller for a slant with oil pump drive... I think that answeres my question.
There is a thread on .org about this very thing, supposedly there are a handful of roller cores at Oregon left, once they're gone.....I'd get one for the turbo project,
but I'm not set on the specs yet so no can do unless I purchase the core and hold on to it 'till that time.

-
Back