Anyone run the repro shroud #2785614

-

70Duster440

Reaction score
I've got a 1969 22" BB rad and repro shroud number 2785614 (which is supposed to work with '68-'69 BB rads).

With the shroud in place I have a 1/4" gap or so at the top and bottom between the shroud and tanks. The shroud appears moulded to fit the contours of the upper and lower tanks but there's a big gap. I don't know if this is normal but appears to defeat the purpose of the shroud. Either the rad, shroud, or both will have to be modified to eliminate the gaposis.

Anyone running one of these shrouds and, if so, how's the fit?

Radiator Shroud.jpg

The 2785614 part number is a Heavy Duty cooling (V-8 small block with factory A/C or a 340 car with the Heavy Duty cooling option) shroud from a 1969 Dodge Dart.

I had that exact factory shroud on my factory 1969 340 Dart Swinger.

I never had a gap, and I ran the original rebuilt factory 22" radiator with 2785614. I do of course realize we are talking an aftermarket reproduction of the 2785614 part, but I never saw this shroud used by anyone with a BB in an Abody.

Wish I could be of more help, but the 1969 Dodge factory parts manual shows the 2785614 part number as stated above.

I'm attempting to use a repro 22" BB radiator ('67-'69) too. I want to see of the shroud helps get the temps down. According to US Radiator, the only real difference between the 22" BB and SB rads for those years is the core thickness. I'm guessing the side brackets they're using are different than factory so the shroud isn't as flush as it should be. The mounting holes are there for the shroud.

I may have to ditch all of this and go with an aluminum unit and electric fans.

IMHO.... You are not going for a 100% stock look so....

Bolt it on, go get some 1/2" adhesive foam tape to fill the gap and be done with it. New cars use that stuff to fill small gaps all over the place.

Bolt it on, go get some 1/2" adhesive foam tape to fill the gap and be done with it. New cars use that stuff to fill small gaps all over the place.

I was going to suggest same - since not a big gap and foam is already black. I'll be doing the same to (eventually) re-install heater assembly into Swinger.
Now, curious minds would like to know - - how many rows in your (22") rad - - and, is the core standard orientation or High Density (ie: 30% more tubes in same space) - - and, how many 'vanes' in w.p. - - and, what temp. is t-stat rated - - and what fan setup are you currently using? Remember that the cooling fan has basically little effect above city driving speeds. :???:

I just had the original radiator that came in my 69 273 A/C Dart, now a .030 over 360, rodded out and I bought a repop 278614 shroud. I changed the thermostat to a Mr Gasket 180 degree unit. It turned out great, cools great and the temps don't creep up at a stop light like it use too. My OEM number is 2949069 which is a 3 core. Even running the A/C in Fl.summer heat it runs 190-200.

Mine has little gap 1/8 or so but it seems negligible. 088 radiator from Glen-Rays with factory spacer and fan.

Temps are much lower over larger radiator with flex fan + pusher electric.

Just wish I could find an 065 worth re-building! On the waiting list at Glen-Ray.

I've got a 67 notchback with a SB-V8. The radiator needed to be replaced and I also got a repo shroud (the same one you have). I had about the same gap that you have. When the holes on the shroud and the radiator aligned, the top arch of my shourd butted up against the top hose connector. So I will have to drop the shroud an additional 1/4" so the hose can fit -- making the gap a little bigger.

In spite of all this, it is still a good combination, and I also plan to fill the gap. I mentioned this in a thread about 6 months ago. For the best engine cooling, air should go through the radiator, not bypass it.

The repro shrouds are junk im not happy with mine, i had to trim the bottom as the fan started to hit with the weather change due to the shroud warping

Those repop shrouds got a bad reputation when they first were released because heat would warp them and they sagged into the fans. I've posted in several threads before, "Surely they have corrected that by now".
Today I'm wondering if they did change their plastic formula or did they simply change their mold to produce a gap. That would reduce the heat transfer to the plastic.

Those repop shrouds got a bad reputation when they first were released because heat would warp them and they sagged into the fans. I've posted in several threads before, "Surely they have corrected that by now".
Today I'm wondering if they did change their plastic formula or did they simply change their mold to produce a gap. That would reduce the heat transfer to the plastic.

I have a repop on mine and so far no problems. I bought mine about 6 months ago.

I just had the original radiator that came in my 69 273 A/C Dart, now a .030 over 360, rodded out and I bought a repop 278614 shroud. I changed the thermostat to a Mr Gasket 180 degree unit. It turned out great, cools great and the temps don't creep up at a stop light like it use too. My OEM number is 2949069 which is a 3 core. Even running the A/C in Fl.summer heat it runs 190-200.

What stat were you running before the engine swap? The factory says 180 but everyone else says run a 195.

Did they fix the shrinking problem yet? I went through 4 off them that shrunk after a while and would not even bolt up. They said the fix them the problem. So I both 2 and I installed them and had 2 shrink in the car and fan blow them apart. I will never buy a repro one again.

Any recommendation of a replacement? Ive had to trim a bunch of the bottom of mine to clear the fan, ran fine for about a year and one day it started getting chewed up by the fan so I trimmed it

Mocked up my repop shroud (BB) last week. Pretty dissappointed in the fit and workmanship.

I have one of the troops on my 69 Dart. The fit as far as bolting up is very good. My complaint is in the middle like where the radiator cap is, the shroud pulled away from the radiator and there is a gap there. Other than that it has held up good. It’s been on there about 5-7 years.

I have one of the troops on my 69 Dart. The fit as far as bolting up is very good. My complaint is in the middle like where the radiator cap is, the shroud pulled away from the radiator and there is a gap there. Other than that it has held up good. It’s been on there about 5-7 years.

thats what my repro shroud did, it also started to warp and the fan cut out turned to a oval

How does it mount? Photo of side of my radiator. I see bolts/clips on e-bay. Do you happen to have a photo of your mounting brackets?

F0EA2BC0-9E18-41E3-A8D6-157000595A2D.jpeg

-
Back