Anyone running 19” wheels?

-

lee g

Reaction score
I currently have one 72 dart with 18x9 wheels and I was planning on purchasing another set for my other dart but ran across some wheels that are the same backspacing and offset as my 18" but they're 19x8.5
I like the look of the 18" but I don't know how much going up 1" would change. I have seen some pictures of A bodies with 20" and I just don't like the look with 20's.

Lee,
I think the week without responses may have answered your question. :D
Honestly, a good percentage of us are stuck on stock style wheel sizes (14"/15"), another good percentage of us are just now coming to terms with going up to 17." A few guys have sourced 18" wheels that work (IMO) but it's hard to do. It often looks out of place...maybe like mounting an OLED display on a rotary dial phone.

If you're good with your 18" wheels, I would urge you to stick with them unless there is some dimensional problem or excessive mass with the particular set that you're running. 18" wheels seem to have an optimal set of tire choices at the moment.

What are you running now? What's wrong with them?

The opportunity to purchase the same wheel in 19" that is 1/3 of the price. Currently have 17" on it with spacers in the front (mustang bullit wheels). My 18" clear tie rod ends and don't hit the frame with full lock and no spacers and no fender running issues.

Finding 18" wheels that will work isn't that hard at all as long as you do your homework. It's a heck of a lot less limiting than trying to run 14 or 15" wheels, there are a lot more options out there. If you install a B body rear axle in a Duster/Dart Sport/Demon or even a Barracuda it's a lot easier to find larger diameter wheels that work, the wider rear axle makes the offset needed similar in the back and the front for wider tires on both ends, and the fairly large positive offset actually means there's a bunch of 18" wheels that work great.

I haven't seen too many 19's. I've been looking into it myself, because there are more wide rear tire options in 19" than 18" now. The one I do know of is Kenny Wayne Shepherd's Duster, it has 18's in the front and 19x10's in the back with 285's.

I actually like the rear set up better than the front, the 285/35/19's are 26.8" tall so there's still some sidewall. In the front he only has 225/40/18's on there, which is only a 25" tall tire. If he went closer to a 26" tall tire in the front it would look better IMO.

Article on it in Hot Rod
Kenny Wayne Shepherd's 1970 Plymouth Duster - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

0803phr_04_z-1970_plymouth_duster-.jpg

1970-duster-plymouth-kenny-wayne-shepherd-03.jpg

005-1970-plymouth-duster-front-kenny-wayne-shepherd-lpr.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry no spinners. I understand some of the big wheel haters. 19 maybe too much. I thought 17" was at one time too. The 18" I have are a perfect fit for me but the price is tempting to try the 19". 14" & 15" look period correct but with limited availability especially when upgrading to a modern handling car and wanting the tires needed for that.

I have saw the pics of his before 72bluNblu. I have an older brother with a 71 or 72 Skylark GS 455 that didn't like the looks of the larger wheels but he is catching on now that he has a set on his Regal T. He likes the availability of tire choices as well as the handling. Somethimes it's a compromise.

I currently have one 72 dart with 18x9 wheels and I was planning on purchasing another set for my other dart but ran across some wheels that are the same backspacing and offset as my 18" but they're 19x8.5
I like the look of the 18" but I don't know how much going up 1" would change. I have seen some pictures of A bodies with 20" and I just don't like the look with 20's.
They should work but I think you might have a hard time finding a tire that works. If you are going to try to keep the same rolling diameter the side wall is going to get pretty short on the 19. They'll also seem to be available in cheap import crap or very expensive so the wheel savings might get eaten up in the tire cost. 19's tend to be harder to find too if you needed one on the road.

They should work but I think you might have a hard time finding a tire that works. If you are going to try to keep the same rolling diameter the side wall is going to get pretty short on the 19. They'll also seem to be available in cheap import crap or very expensive so the wheel savings might get eaten up in the tire cost. 19's tend to be harder to find too if you needed one on the road.

You must not have looked for tires recently. Finding 19's is easier than 17's and 18's now, especially when you get above about a 255 for width. When you get up around 295 there are more options in sizes with 19's than 18's, one of the reasons I've started looking at some 19" rims for the back of my car.

When I bought the 275/35/18's and 295/35/18's for my Duster there were a bunch of different tire options for me. Now there's like 2 that cover both of those sizes. In 19" it's a piece of cake. Not to mention if I do the "reverse mini-tub" on my Duster I may be able to go to a 305, and that would pretty much require a 19" in the back to get that size.

Here's another one. One of the wheel combinations on the back of Tomswheels Valiant was a set of Bullit's in 19x10.5 with a 305/30/19. Front still had 18's.

8420374-image copy.jpg

You must not have looked for tires recently. Finding 19's is easier than 17's and 18's now, especially when you get above about a 255 for width. When you get up around 295 there are more options in sizes with 19's than 18's, one of the reasons I've started looking at some 19" rims for the back of my car.

When I bought the 275/35/18's and 295/35/18's for my Duster there were a bunch of different tire options for me. Now there's like 2 that cover both of those sizes. In 19" it's a piece of cake. Not to mention if I do the "reverse mini-tub" on my Duster I may be able to go to a 305, and that would pretty much require a 19" in the back to get that size.
Staring at 20k of them as we speak, 17 and 18 are definitely still more popular..
True though, above 295's
4FB3C1D6-AF4E-4D93-B573-87F149AA29D9.jpeg

Last edited:
If Blu goes to 19's on the rear and sells his 18's I got first dibs!!

Hate to disappoint, but it's pretty unlikely that I'll be selling the 18's. I've got plenty of tread left at the moment so the swap won't likely happen any time soon anyway. And when it does the RPF1's will either move to one of my other cars or be used for a track only set of tires.

These are 20's, and one of the better attempts at actually making the car look right with them. I don't like the rim design personally, but I still think it's one of the better looking cars with 20's. 19's are easier to pull off, especially in the back. If you go up to a 27" tall tire in the back then you keep the same amount of sidewall I have with 18's and 26" tall tires.

Po6mzPQ.jpg

FAyBmh5.jpg

aiTPt27.jpg

I have the car now and I never cared for that oversized hot wheel look. Also the extra weight. I run 18x10s squared. With 285s 295s and 200 tw tires for autocross. Granted the wheels are just off the shelf American muscle wheels. Some day I will run custom fit wheels as there is room for an 11 in wheel in the rear.

I have the car now and I never cared for that oversized hot wheel look. Also the extra weight. I run 18x10s squared. With 285s 295s and 200 tw tires for autocross. Granted the wheels are just off the shelf American muscle wheels. Some day I will run custom fit wheels as there is room for an 11 in wheel in the rear.

Sorry, I keep forgetting that car changed hands!

As for extra weight, it really depends on the rim and tire combination. The 18x10” enkei rpf1’s on the back of my car weigh 18.45 lbs. Now, a 19x10 version of that same wheel weighs 21.3 lbs, which is definitely heavier. The tire weights for similar sized tires are pretty close between the 18 and 19” at least in a 295/35/18 vs a 295/30/19, some of the 18” versions were a pound heavier. But then again a 15x7” Mopar police rim weighs 25 lbs. So it’s relative.

Finding 18" wheels that will work isn't that hard at all as long as you do your homework. It's a heck of a lot less limiting than trying to run 14 or 15" wheels, there are a lot more options out there. ...

Can you define "work" here?
If you mean work in terms of the required dimensions, I agree. If you mean visually...I don't think so. With our cars, anything bigger than 18" can make them look like a horse-drawn carriage or "donk" ... but this is a matter of personal taste and you did manage to find a couple of examples that pull off the look.

That Duster with the 20s...woof. Not for me, thanks.

As for extra weight, it really depends on the rim and tire combination. The 18x10” enkei rpf1’s on the back of my car weigh 18.45 lbs. Now, a 19x10 version of that same wheel weighs 21.3 lbs, which is definitely heavier. The tire weights for similar sized tires are pretty close between the 18 and 19” at least in a 295/35/18 vs a 295/30/19, some of the 18” versions were a pound heavier. But then again a 15x7” Mopar police rim weighs 25 lbs. So it’s relative.

Yes. It definitely does depend on the package! Generally speaking, larger diameter wheel packages will add weight. It's not helpful to compare steel police car wheels to modern aluminum wheels so that comment was pretty silly. My cheap 15x8 wheels (rear) shaved ~2kg per wheel compared with the stock 15x7 Rally wheels, including the mass of the wider rubber.

I've spent most of my driving miles behind the wheel of modded Miatas and the one thing that experience drilled into my head was that unsprung mass is not to be overlooked. Yes, the ~100rwhp Miata needed all the help it could get but so does a car handicapped by the considerable mass of the solid rear axle. Every kg helps.

Can you define "work" here?
If you mean work in terms of the required dimensions, I agree. If you mean visually...I don't think so. With our cars, anything bigger than 18" can make them look like a horse-drawn carriage or "donk" ... but this is a matter of personal taste and you did manage to find a couple of examples that pull off the look.

That Duster with the 20s...woof. Not for me, thanks.

Yes, by "work" I meant will actually bolt up and go down the road with a reasonable sized tire. There are tons of wheels out there that will physically fit. Especially if you step back from using 275's or 255's up front. Step down to an 18x8" with a 245/40/18 up front and there's all kinds of rims that will fit.

Whether or not they fit your limited opinion of what you think looks good is your problem. If you're looking for 18x9's or 9.5's up front to run 255's or 275's, then you're somewhat more limited, but even then you still have more options than if you run 14's or 15's. I mean seriously, what do people run? Rallye's, magnums, oe steel, police wheels, cragars, torque thrusts, or those god-awful centerlines. I bet those styles account for well over 90% of the wheels being used on these cars. That's what, 7 styles?

Personally if I wanted to go 18x8 and 245/40/18's there's at least a dozen different wheels I would be totally happy to run on my car. My list gets cut down by the 10" or wider wheels I run in the back, and the fairly narrow offset range I have to use to run 275's up front and 295's out back. But I like a bunch of the "tuner" style wheels, as evidenced by the Enkei RPF1's I run now. If you're stuck in the 70's with your wheel design you don't have as many options.

I actually don't mind the Duster with 20's. The front actually looks ok to me. In the back that big deep set rim lip is what turns me off, but with a different style wheel back there I think it could work, throw a wider B-body rear axle in that thing and get rid of that lip and it'd be a totally different look.

Yes. It definitely does depend on the package! Generally speaking, larger diameter wheel packages will add weight. It's not helpful to compare steel police car wheels to modern aluminum wheels so that comment was pretty silly. My cheap 15x8 wheels (rear) shaved ~2kg per wheel compared with the stock 15x7 Rally wheels, including the mass of the wider rubber.

I've spent most of my driving miles behind the wheel of modded Miatas and the one thing that experience drilled into my head was that unsprung mass is not to be overlooked. Yes, the ~100rwhp Miata needed all the help it could get but so does a car handicapped by the considerable mass of the solid rear axle. Every kg helps.

I don't think it's silly at all to compare the weight of the police rims to modern aluminum wheels. That's the swap I actually made, so it's relevant.

As for the combinations, with tires, I weighed mine before I installed them. Even running 275's and 295's on 18x9's and 18x10's I shed weight compared to the 15x7's with 225/60/15's. Now, the police rims are on the heavy side for OE type wheels, but then the difference in tire width was also really extreme. A 255/60/15 weighs in at 31 lbs, the 225/60/15 is only 25 lbs. Which means going from a 255/60/15 on a 15x7" police wheel to a 295/35/18 on an 18x10" RPF1 would save around 6 and half pounds. That's a lot of unsprung mass. And even worse, it's rotational mass. It also means the wider 295/35/18 tire weighs about the same as the 255/60/15 tire, the 15" tires are heavier for a given width than the 18's. A 275/60/15 BFG T/A weighs 36 lbs, most of the 275/35/18 tires weigh 25-30 lbs. 19's aren't that different for tire weight, so, even if you add some rim weight you can still come out ahead than a lot of 15" wheel and tire combo's.

tireweights_zpsf3d39dce.jpg

Whether or not they fit your limited opinion of what you think looks good is your problem. If you're looking for 18x9's or 9.5's up front to run 255's or 275's, then you're somewhat more limited, but even then you still have more options than if you run 14's or 15's. I mean seriously, what do people run? Rallye's, magnums, oe steel, police wheels, cragars, torque thrusts, or those god-awful centerlines. I bet those styles account for well over 90% of the wheels being used on these cars. That's what, 7 styles?

Not a fan of mild disagreement, I see!
I don't even know what we're arguing about here but I'll play along.

First, if Centerlines don't fit within your limited opinion of a good looking wheel, I'd venture to say that this is YOUR problem. ;)

Second, I'm personally open to the majority of styles on various cars. I ended up with a JDM-oriented wheel on mine and I personally like track-focused wheels on classic muscle cars in general...I actually think the RPF1s in particular, look awesome!

I can also understand the position of those who can't get used to >15" wheels, particularly from the perspective of "reverence for automotive design," artistic composition, or just plain nostalgia. Like I said, it's a matter of personal taste. Maybe it's even worth the performance sacrifice to many of these folks. It's their call, no?

It's admittedly 100% "my problem" that aesthetically-mismatched wheels can make an otherwise tasteful car look to me like it was styled by an 18 year old with a big Pep Boys gift certificate. :D IMO, it's REALLY hard to make a classic Mopar look ok with 19" wheels and nearly impossible to do with 20" wheels. I'm open to being proven wrong.

If that 19" wheel package improves someone's lap times, more power to them but Elwood Engel spins in his grave every time someone does this to an old Mopar.

Personally if I wanted to go 18x8 and 245/40/18's there's at least a dozen different wheels I would be totally happy to run on my car. My list gets cut down by the 10" or wider wheels I run in the back, and the fairly narrow offset range I have to use to run 275's up front and 295's out back. But I like a bunch of the "tuner" style wheels, as evidenced by the Enkei RPF1's I run now. If you're stuck in the 70's with your wheel design you don't have as many options.

Since we're airing grievances here, one thing that does grind my gears about wheel/tire packages is the disregard for wheel width vs. tire width. I'm sorry but if somebody is running 275s on 8" wide wheels in a handling-oriented application, either they don't know what they're doing or their priorities include something other than optimal contact patch (which is totally the prerogative of the owner, of course). If somebody wants to pinch their tires, go right ahead but wider tires are not always better.

I don't think it's silly at all to compare the weight of the police rims to modern aluminum wheels. That's the swap I actually made, so it's relevant.

I see your point here and it is reasonable to think that a lot of guys would be replacing similarly massive wheels in this scenario. I do get that. What's still missing that makes this comparison a bit unrealistic is that a 15x7" steel wheel will run $50 piece while an 18x9" RPF01, known for being an affordable, light wheel, will still cost what, like 6x as much? That may not matter to some of you guys but that's real money in my world. Since most of us here are fretting over wheel/tire packages for 50 year-old econo cars, I'm guessing that it's real money to lots of other guys here too. So yeah, there are big weight savings, potential for bigger brakes and tire upgrades to be had with bigger wheels but there are number of variables at work.

Again, I don't know what we're arguing about :)

Last edited:
I really don't care what rims or tires someone has on their car, I tend to like someones craftsmanship, cleanliness and execution. I think the problem with the larger rims 17", 18" or 19" diameters is that people tend to put skinny low profile tires on them. The car starts to look a little anorexic in the back.

That said Kenny Wayne Shepard's car has a decent side profile, but the rear tires look skinny to me. But, the car has other killer ideas and a look that I like. Maybe it's because I grew up seeing A-bodies tubbed out at the drag strips and liked the look especially on Duster / Demon cars. Most Mopar muscle cars look better as drag cars to me. But, I don't like the handling of drag cars on the street...

That being said, I can run 18x10 on the front of my Duster. But instead I have 18x9's for now. The rear is a little different. I mini tubbed it because I just don't think 295's are wide enough on any Mopar. So I run 19x12's with 355/30/19 tires for the street and I found a 375 width tire that fits too. I have a different set of 15" tires/rims for the drag strip. If there was a wider 18" tire available, I probably would have 18" on the rear.

IMG_4877 Summer 2018.jpg

image1 Summer 2018.jpeg

IMG_4878 Summer 2018.jpg

50.jpg

Last edited:
That being said; I can run 18x10 on the front of my Duster. But instead I have 18x9's. The rear is a little different. I mini tubbed it because I just don't think 295's are wide enough on any Mopar. So I run 19x12's with 355/30/19 tires for the street and I found a 375 width tire that fits too. I have a different set of 15" tires/rims for the drag strip. If there was a wider 18" tire available, I probably would have 18" on the rear.

View attachment 1715230426

View attachment 1715230427

View attachment 1715230428

View attachment 1715230429

Well that's a nicely executed setup, IMO. The 19s in the back admittedly look great there.

I think the OP wants to know about 19" rims on the front of his car. I think going much larger than 18" DIA on the front is pushing it. Someone might be able to pull off a cool look, but I think you are getting into too many fitment/look issues. But, who cares what my opinion is.

Last edited:
Well that's a nicely executed setup, IMO. The 19s in the back admittedly look great there.

The back normally sits 2" lower. I was just lazy unbolting the front spring perch and putting it in the top hole. The strip tires grow too much in the top hole and I was doing other work to a rear sway bar set up.

Last edited:
Back when I first got my duster I was looking for some rims and tires and up Pops the set of 18in 05 Magnum rims with practically new tires on them for $200! Luckily I have e-body axal on the back and rear rims and tires had no problems. The fronts needed spacers until I took them down to a machine shop and have them machined out a little bit. never have been a big fan of big wheels but these are growing on me over the years and do seem to fill out the fenders.
20170430_184143-1-1.jpg

I mean seriously, what do people run? Rallye's, magnums, oe steel, police wheels, cragars, torque thrusts, or those god-awful centerlines. I bet those styles account for well over 90% of the wheels being used on these cars. That's what, 7 styles?

You're so out of date and misguiding people. The last I checked Centerline only makes 20"-22" diameter rims for modern muscle cars. I don't think anyone is buying their rims for old muscle cars anymore. Being a California Snowflake you most likely think Leah Prichett is gross and that's why you hate Centerline's rim line. Cragar still make the classics and modern rims but have some new rims that work with old cars. And just because you may not like them doesn't mean everyone has to. For most people they just want to experience the car and look from their youth.

You've claimed to have spread sheets explaining what rims, offsets and back spacing's work on all the cars here on ForABodiesOnly, post them in the "How to Articles" Section and quit plugging up the costly server space with every yahoo wanting to fit a rim and tire on their car.

-
Back