Anyone running a 470 in a dedicated drag car?

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello friends, I've changed my mind on doing a street- strip car & will be building a race car, my project has been on hold a while & have everything for a 470 (400) ci with trickflow 240s. I'm thinking of selling my molnar crank & just going to the 4.250 stroke for 511 with my bore size.
Anyways, who's got a fast 470 that can talk me out of spending another $1000.00 for 40 cubic inches?

Talk to Dom, thumper dart, Thumper carbs, he's on Facebook and moparts. Has a street driven street/strip dart with a 470,home ported rpms, solid nine second car. He loves the 470.

Talk to Dom, thumper dart, Thumper carbs, he's on Facebook and moparts. Has a street driven street/strip dart with a 470,home ported rpms, solid nine second car. He loves the 470.
Great thanks, will do.

Hello friends, I've changed my mind on doing a street- strip car & will be building a race car, my project has been on hold a while & have everything for a 470 (400) ci with trickflow 240s. I'm thinking of selling my molnar crank & just going to the 4.250 stroke for 511 with my bore size.
Anyways, who's got a fast 470 that can talk me out of spending another $1000.00 for 40 cubic inches?

Stay with the 470. You don’t need all that stroke.

I believe member @AndyF built a knarly 470 for his Duster project.
Starting a BB Duster project
Worth the time to read through this thread. TONS of great information here.
Yes thanks, it's my inspiration for my build.
I haven't seen what the car will do on the track, I'm looking to run 10.00s consistent with 9s in it already for the future

Yes thanks, it's my inspiration for my build.
I haven't seen what the car will do on the track, I'm looking to run 10.00s consistent with 9s in it already for the future

My low deck 470 with TF240 heads made 720 hp with a ported intake. That was a pump gas engine with a solid roller cam. If you're building a race only engine then you could increase the compression ratio and make a little more power. 700 dyno horses should go 10.0 in a 3300 lb race car without any problem.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/test-intake-manifolds-carburetors-440-stroker-search-ultimate-power/

I think for a pure drag car it matter less about engine size since rpm gears stall don't need to be compromised.

I think for a pure drag car it matter less about engine size since rpm gears stall don't need to be compromised.
4500 rpm stall, 30 inch tire, 4.88 gears (Dana 60) like to cross finish line 1st @ 7200 rpm

My low deck 470 with TF240 heads made 720 hp with a ported intake. That was a pump gas engine with a solid roller cam. If you're building a race only engine then you could increase the compression ratio and make a little more power. 700 dyno horses should go 10.0 in a 3300 lb race car without any problem.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/test-intake-manifolds-carburetors-440-stroker-search-ultimate-power/
with traction and stiff gearing or nitrous , I presume
------I have none of the above .

7200 is a lot of RPM for 240 heads on a 470 shortblock. If you want to spin it that high then you definitely do not want to go with more stroke. I think you'll have a tough time feeding 470 inches at 7200 rpm with the 240 heads. You might need to put 4.56 gears in it and drop the rpm at the stripe.

7200 is a lot of RPM for 240 heads on a 470 shortblock. If you want to spin it that high then you definitely do not want to go with more stroke. I think you'll have a tough time feeding 470 inches at 7200 rpm with the 240 heads. You might need to put 4.56 gears in it and drop the rpm at the stripe.
Okay, good point. Thanks andy.
Luckily I have to buy tires & still do my tubs so maybe a 32 inch tire instead of 30s may take it down 3-400 rpm at the stripe

Okay, good point. Thanks andy.
Luckily I have to buy tires & still do my tubs so maybe a 32 inch tire instead of 30s may take it down 3-400 rpm at the stripe
Bigger tires might help a bit but I think you'll find that 4.88 gears are too much. I started with 4.56 gears in my Duster then went to 4.10 gears and my next change will be to 3.89 gears. A buddy of mine did the same thing with his B body car. He has a 505 with TF270 heads and he is now running 3.89 gears also. He started with 4.56 but was constantly into the rev limiter. He went to 4.10 but still hit the rev limiter at about the 1000 ft mark so now he has the 3.89 gears and can pull hard all the way down the track. He runs 9.70 at 135.

Bigger tires might help a bit but I think you'll find that 4.88 gears are too much. I started with 4.56 gears in my Duster then went to 4.10 gears and my next change will be to 3.89 gears. A buddy of mine did the same thing with his B body car. He has a 505 with TF270 heads and he is now running 3.89 gears also. He started with 4.56 but was constantly into the rev limiter. He went to 4.10 but still hit the rev limiter at about the 1000 ft mark so now he has the 3.89 gears and can pull hard all the way down the track. He runs 9.70 at 135.
Alright, I guess there's more to think over. Thanks andy

Nothing really to think over. Build the engine and put it on the dyno. Look at the dyno curves and then put the correct gear in the car. It is just math.

Ive yet to see definitive proof that displacement makes power.
Torque yes but hp no, there’s a probably that cid and cams and heads favour more displacement than less in most cases but it doesn’t seem to always make more power.

Nothing really to think over. Build the engine and put it on the dyno. Look at the dyno curves and then put the correct gear in the car. It is just math.
That makes perfect sense.

Ive yet to see definitive proof that displacement makes power.
Torque yes but hp no, there’s a probably that cid and cams and heads favour more displacement than less in most cases but it doesn’t seem to always make more power.
That is true if you are looking at peak power. The top end of the engine determines the peak power capability, the bottom end determines the RPM range. TF240 heads will make roughly the same power on any size shortblock with the same compression. The difference will be the RPM where the power peaks. If the OP wants to stay with 4.88 gears then a 451 inch shortblock might be the best choice. Peak power would be the same, torque will be down and 7200 rpm shouldn't be an issue. At this point it seems cheaper to change gears than to change the rotating assembly but there could be other factors. Some people like high winding engines. I think it is cheaper to build power with inches and keep the RPM down so the valvetrain isn't constantly getting buzzed.

That is true if you are looking at peak power. The top end of the engine determines the peak power capability, the bottom end determines the RPM range. TF240 heads will make roughly the same power on any size shortblock with the same compression. The difference will be the RPM where the power peaks. If the OP wants to stay with 4.88 gears then a 451 inch shortblock might be the best choice. Peak power would be the same, torque will be down and 7200 rpm shouldn't be an issue. At this point it seems cheaper to change gears than to change the rotating assembly but there could be other factors. Some people like high winding engines. I think it is cheaper to build power with inches and keep the RPM down so the valvetrain isn't constantly getting buzzed.
Yes, I'll be getting a dyno session after its built then figure out what gears & stall will work best. Staying with the 3.915 stroke too. Your engine is undeniably proof that it would do what id like it too.

Save the money on the crank and invest in a custom built converter. I’m thinking 4500 ain’t gonna get it done. But do what AndyF said. Dyno the thing and pick parts based on the graphs.

Yes, I'll be getting a dyno session after its built then figure out what gears & stall will work best. Staying with the 3.915 stroke too. Your engine is undeniably proof that it would do what id like it too.

What dyno are use using around here??? There is ONE, but it rarely gets used.

I’m going over to Hillsboro next spring so I can use an inertia dyno and not a water brake Dyno.

What dyno are use using around here??? There is ONE, but it rarely gets used.

I’m going over to Hillsboro next spring so I can use an inertia dyno and not a water brake Dyno.
Not sure yet, maybe Hillsboro is the way to go. Whats the difference in the 2 types of dyno ?

-
Back