Anyone shoot from a wheelchair?

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
One of my customers and I were talking today and he mentioned he was looking for 38 parts. My brain went to guns and i asked what .38 he has.

He said he is looking for 1938 ford parts.. but he has never shot a gun. (He is in a wheelchair) He expressed interest in shooting but said he has never had a chance.
We have been talking and we are going to the range on Thursday.

I have taken many first time shooters out but never someone in a chair.
Any advice to make his first time go well?

We will be working his way up from .22 pistol or rifle on up as far as he wants to go. I plan on bringing ALL the guns on this trip.

I'd say make sure he locks the wheels on his chair so it doesn't go literally flying backwards! LOL:thumbsup:
You'll show him a good time, don't worry about it...

Way back when I had a friend in a wheelchair who raced with us at Bandimere. He also like to shoot. We just wheel chocked the wheels and took turns standing behind him when needed.

Well, my only direct experience is from when I blew out both my knees and spend a month in a wheelchair about 12 years ago. My best friend took me to the range to help me take my mind off of things.

I could shoot all my pistols while facing straight down range, but I could not easily shoot the high power rifles unless I either had them benched on a rest or bipod. It took a while but we figured out that I needed to be seated at a 45* angle to the target in order to properly shoulder the rifles and fire with control.

Think about how you shoot when you shoulder a rifle and you are always at an angle to the target. Apply the same to the seated position and place the chair that way.

It made it far easier to shoot and less likely to tip the chair even with an FN FAL .308 with a 20 round mag doing rapid fire. Still good to have someone behind you, but I could lean in and the let loose the rounds in confidence.

Well, my only direct experience is from when I blew out both my knees and spend a month in a wheelchair about 12 years ago. My best friend took me to the range to help me take my mind off of things.

I could shoot all my pistols while facing straight down range, but I could not easily shoot the high power rifles unless I either had them benched on a rest or bipod. It took a while but we figured out that I needed to be seated at a 45* angle to the target in order to properly shoulder the rifles and fire with control.

Think about how you shoot when you shoulder a rifle and you are always at an angle to the target. Apply the same to the seated position and place the chair that way.

It made it far easier to shoot and less likely to tip the chair even with an FN FAL .308 with a 20 round mag doing rapid fire. Still good to have someone behind you, but I could lean in and the let loose the rounds in confidence.

Always wanted a Fal, should have bought when available and cheap...

-
Back