Anyone Use Solar Cookers?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I always have been a little fascinated by the idea of cooking/baking using sunpower (not to mention those toy ovens that bake with a light bulb).

solar.jpg

We had a camp out and someone brought this pop up aluminum box thingy and it turned out to be a camp oven; She baked a cake! it wasnt solar but I have seen the solar hotdog cooker made from a satellite dish. It could also almost boil water.

I had neighbors that used them back in Memphis and they worked like a slow cooker (crockpot). We even used to bake cookies on the dashboard of our cars in the parking lot at work. They turned out really well and the car smelled like cookies for a week after too!

How to Bake Cookies on Your Car Dashboard

I have a 74 Duster that doesn't have air. I've sat in traffic in a rain storm in July while in it. Does that count?

Definitely can cook with the sun among other fun things. If you ever run across one of the old projector big screen tv’s rob the screen out of it. You can bend it to concentrate the sun and get a penny to burn in about a minute. We had some kids in scouts that were blown away when the penny went up in a green flash.

Definitely can cook with the sun among other fun things. If you ever run across one of the old projector big screen tv’s rob the screen out of it. You can bend it to concentrate the sun and get a penny to burn in about a minute. We had some kids in scouts that were blown away when the penny went up in a green flash.
a fresnel lens!

I've made and used a few. They're awesome! I need to scab another satellite dish to make a really nice one.

-
Back