Anyone with needle scaler experience?

-

CodyS

Reaction score
I was wondering is Any of has used a needle scaler to remove rust and paint from hard to reach areas like in the engine compartment. I would think that it might be a little too aggressive for body metal. Any input please.

A lot is dependent on your touch with one.I was all over the bottom of my car with one . Didn't damage anything. Aprons or core support you might be better off with a spot blaster.

A lot is dependent on your touch with one.I was all over the bottom of my car with one . Didn't damage anything. Aprons or core support you might be better off with a spot blaster.
I agree with using one on the undercarriage. Works great but REALLY loud!

They do really well on stick weld projects. Ear and eye protection a must.

They do really well on stick weld projects. Ear and eye protection a must.
And they are aggressive. The DOT uses them to clean rust from their trucks for welding cracks in frames and dump boxes. Not for sheet metal.

And they are aggressive. The DOT uses them to clean rust from their trucks for welding cracks in frames and dump boxes. Not for sheet metal.
I thought they only used them in shipyards. Did not know they had other uses.
FYI. When sharpened, the needles make excellent scribes.

I have one that screws on a air hammer but I have it on a 3X air riveter and I works great, you can turn down the air and it hits hard enough to work good but not so hard to do damage.

They will leave little peck marks, and that's on big iron. If the surface is going to be covered up with something like undercoating, shouldn't be a problem.

As a Welding shop owner; I've seen guys run them with expert control and no marks afterwards. I've also seen rookies use then on sheet metal and wear holes right thru steel plate and destroy parts.
As anything use the correct tool for the job. A small sandblaster with proper safety gear will not get you in trouble as quickly and will be way more manageable for cleaning rust than a HD tool.
Joe
NOTE: Proper safety gear is a sandblasting hood, eye protection, ear protection and fresh air breathing protection. Also, proper gloves and long sleeve shirt.
Even with proper gear - accidents happen. Take your time and go slow and have a back up plan incase of an accident. Good luck!

-
Back