Anything I need to know beforehand removing A/C box in 65 Barracuda?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Oddly enough, my search on this website found nothing specific regarding removal/replacement of A/C heater box in a '65 Barracuda. Need to strip this car for painting interior/exterior. I am starting this project today, I will check back here time to time as I progress. Thank you.

On my 66 same firewall if factory Ac.
Remove holding bracket off the heater core Phillips screw, several other holding nuts on the firewall,
Remove glove box door and interior box, remove the dash ac control face plate and screws holding the faceplate in, remove lower vents 2 nuts and it will come down, remove vent defrost tubes from bottom, remove the cable attachment through glove box on the top that operates from the control switch, remove vacuum lines attached to the push button controls CAUTIOUSLY 2 clips on each side must be pried apart then pull off, remove wires mark placement for return, slide the control and fan switch through the glove box sorry radio should have been removed prior, under the pass vent box loosen the nut you will see the rod move from inside enough to lift off the vent top edge, the box will begin to drop. At this point for faster removal seat should be out floor shifter if equipped removed, pull towards the rear of the car and downward,once down pull from bottom towards back of car and out towards pass side door. If difficulty arises you can remove a bolt that joins both half’s of the heater core side and the condenser side. That what I remember. Good luck.

Last edited:
Success! At first, did not notice the allen head screw holding the knob for the heat control cable. Pulled pretty darn hard but would not budge. Lucky I did not break it.

When I carefully pulled the vacuum hose connection/two clips off (7 hoses total) most of the plastic "male" nipples turned to yellow dust. That piece just was not going to survive more than half a century.

That A/C box is a heavy mother. Not only that, but a complicated/sophisticated unit. It must have kept a few Chrysler engineers busy for quite awhile during the design/mock-up stages. The clearance for pulling that box out is next to nothing. Someday, it will go back up and in, but missing many other A/C parts for now.

Is there a source for new A/C box control cables? Looks like only one manual cable, the rest must work from the vacuum diaphragms.

Is there a source for new A/C box control cables? Looks like only one manual cable, the rest must work from the vacuum diaphragms.
I made mine from a lawnmower repair cable worked like a charm.
One concern was making the coil sleve, but I achieved that fairly easily.

-
Back