Appropriate Wheels/Tires for 66 Cuda

-

Chuck Bushey

Reaction score
I am restoring a 66 Barracuda and I need to get the car back on the ground and off jack stands. The wheels that were on this were of two different sizes and had 4 different size tires on them. I am doing an original restoration for the most part since the car only had 32,000 miles on it and all the parts were original except for radio and wheels and tires. I am thinking that I want to do the mopar rallye style but concerned about the right size, back spacing etc. The bolt pattern is 5 x 4

You mention 'an original restoration', so to restore the car, Rallyes are too new, they first appeared for the 1970 model year.

So...... restore or customize?

It just depends on what your choice is.

Small bolt rallyes only come in one size 14x5.5”. Of course you can get them in just about any size now in the aftermarket, but OE ones will all be that size. There’s a 100% chance that your car came with either 13” or 14” steel wheels, as that is all that was available. Which wheel covers were the option to dress them up.

So Alaskan_TA, you make a good point. For the most part everything has been original because nothing was worn out, in fact it still had the original brake shoes in the drums, but yes, I have replaced those as well as all the bushings etc.. I have made some other alterations as well but in keeping with "options" that were available. I moved the auto transmission from the column to the console on the floor. In doing that I had to change the under dash A/C unit that was a dealer install option and put in a full factory Heat - A/C unit - still need to find the vents for that however. But all the original trim is still in place. So for wheels, the build record from Detroit Museum indicates the car originally had 13" but I really don't want to go that route - with a 273 it needs bigger feet . I eventually will upgrade to disc brakes - it was an option. The wheels that were on it when I got it were 14" Chevy wheels, they didn't really fit right anyway. So I might be venturing to slightly customized at this point. So... what to do? I really like the look of the Rallye and think it would dress up the car a lot. Here's where I'm at.
Update 020120.JPG

So Alaskan_TA, you make a good point. For the most part everything has been original because nothing was worn out, in fact it still had the original brake shoes in the drums, but yes, I have replaced those as well as all the bushings etc.. I have made some other alterations as well but in keeping with "options" that were available. I moved the auto transmission from the column to the console on the floor. In doing that I had to change the under dash A/C unit that was a dealer install option and put in a full factory Heat - A/C unit - still need to find the vents for that however. But all the original trim is still in place. So for wheels, the build record from Detroit Museum indicates the car originally had 13" but I really don't want to go that route - with a 273 it needs bigger feet . I eventually will upgrade to disc brakes - it was an option. The wheels that were on it when I got it were 14" Chevy wheels, they didn't really fit right anyway. So I might be venturing to slightly customized at this point. So... what to do? I really like the look of the Rallye and think it would dress up the car a lot. Here's where I'm at.
View attachment 1715462856
Nice. Because you've done some modifications you can put what ever wheel you choose. Cragar SS wheels would look great with the red and chrome. I changed wheels on my 66 Dart a few times just for fun. Here's some examples.

001b.JPG

1-8-12.jpg

059.jpg

10-18-19d.jpg

Chuck.....That's a sweet ride. I would surf FABO or the interweb and find something you like. Can always change it down the road.

Mike....all look good but the last set is killer!!!

If you want to keep it close to stock, you could go with the Formula S 14 x 5.5 steel wheels and the S Hub Caps.
upload_2020-2-1_19-29-14.png

Your decision is whether you are staying with the small bolt pattern or not. And that effects your choices for disc brakes.
For now the easiest route is some 14” x 5.5” small bolt pattern wheels, even if you use rally wheels you could put any 14” wheel cover on. In ‘66 Plymouth had the type with chrome lug nuts showing and also some with fake knock off nuts (“spinners”).
I think the tire selection isn’t the greatest for 14” tires

-
Back