Are 273 distributors different?

-

Kevin74

Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased two aftermarket distributors for my 273, but both wound up being identical, just sold by a different company.

These ready to run distributors are sold by Assault racing and also by A-team Performance. At $50, they are much cheaper than other aftermarket units, but they don’t fit!
Any ideas? I see people on this site using these distributors. Perhaps 273 uses a different distributor than other LA small blocks?
In the pictures, please note that the aftermarket unit is longer, and has a different shaft end.

48FEB580-FAE2-4DF5-91D7-A437E4D0AF80.jpeg

B011A512-3C92-4691-9E06-9DF83C32EDE9.jpeg

How is shaft end different? All sb are same size BUT they could be oriented differently.
Can you grind the flat part at bottom of shaft down(shorten it)?

looks to me you just need to grind a little off the bottom of the shaft where it fits into the gear. A small block dist is a small block dist 273-up

Nope, 273's are the same as every other LA small block. You are the second person lately that mentioned that their Assult Racing small block distributor was wrong.

I see it looks like they never ground it to length. One of the problems with inexpensive one wires. Also you have no idea if the curve will work also.

Please also note that the factory shaft end isn’t totally straight like the aftermarket. The factory end has a groove. I wasn’t sure if this was important for engine oiling.

But thanks as always for the great advice! I was afraid to grind on the aftermarket shaft end, because I knew I couldn’t recreate that groove.

C2D454CA-E8A2-404B-A50F-D676A33FFE8F.jpeg

That groove is unimportant, likely some result of the machining operation. It IS TROUBLING that even the Chinese can't get a shaft cut down to within 1/8" of the proper dimension

That groove is unimportant, likely some result of the machining operation. It IS TROUBLING that even the Chinese can't get a shaft cut down to within 1/8" of the proper dimension

And if you think that's bad, I installed a Chinese Charley gas tank in my Dart. The hole for the fill pipe was off by over a half an inch!!. [Rock auto]. The fill pipe went in, but I had to slice up that rubber seal in the trunk to get the screws in.

-
Back