Are 273 rockers true 1.5?

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
Hey folks. I have wondered for 10 years, are 273 rockers true 1.5 vs the stamped 1.434135:1 or is the "issue" just related to valve train geometry on stock sb mopar rockers?
Thanks to any informed answers.

Not usally, they vary just like the stamped ones. There used to be a place in California that would re-bush them, and move the adjusters, blueprinting them to a true 1.5 or 1.6 if you wanted. Kinda pricy though

Noo, Not a chance in hell. Maybe a set of aftermarket will be true but not factory ones.

That's awesome. Not. Figures. Obviously trying to circumnavigate buying aftermarket rockers on my 300 - 359 horse 360. I.E. budget build.

Oem rockers aren't true 1.5's . I measured mine when I rebuilt my 273 and somewhere in this house is my notebook with the specs. tmm

That's awesome. Not. Figures. Obviously trying to circumnavigate buying aftermarket rockers on my 300 - 359 horse 360. I.E. budget build.

Don't sweat it, you will never see the difference anyway, run the 273 rockers and enjoy! they are hard to beat!

well after I went thru 64 rockers I found only 8 that were out of range 2 were 1.7 the rest were 1.4 and one at 1.6. that's not to bad . I had herd they were off so thats why I bought so many sets .racing in a stock class you need every advantage you can get.

it's probably not worth the worry. kinda like removing a H crossover and making it an X in your exhaust to gain .75 HP or something.

I gotta disagree. If my ring gap varied by 15% or so it wouldnt fly. Neither would crank journal clearances that vary that much, or lifter bores. back in October I posted for help with a new cam and a valve tap. turns out the stock "wide tolerance" factory rockers were the culprit . The factory rockers measured all over the place. Lift only went from .475 to .480 but there was a pronounced rocker tap. Went to a more precise Comp Pro Mag adjustable roller rocker. No noise, better manners, and yes you can notice the difference when your valve geometry is spot on.

Ring gap is critical to performance. Rocker ratio varience isn't. In terms of lift and geometry - .005" may potentially make a difference in noise but it would not make a discernable difference in power. I would concede that 50 years of wear between the rockers and shafts might make enough cylinder-to-cylinder imbalance to notice something though.

have you ever had a new cam blue printer? you might me surprised.

well after I went thru 64 rockers I found only 8 that were out of range 2 were 1.7 the rest were 1.4 and one at 1.6. that's not to bad . I had herd they were off so thats why I bought so many sets .racing in a stock class you need every advantage you can get.

Wondering how you checked 'em? IE all on one and the same valve jig?

Seems to me there's a good chance THE HEADS could have some machining variations...................and of course even valve stem height will change things a little bit.

I new a guy that would take a 5-gallon bucket of rockers to find 16 that were close.
Too much effort for me. LOL

-
Back