Are dynomax super turbo mufflers worth the cost?

-

oliver

Reaction score
Looking to quiet down my ride. It's currently a 350ci 340, 10.5:1 compression, p&p j heads, 4 speed, hooker super comps, 3 inch exhaust, x pipe, 2 chamber mufflers, to full tail pipes out the back. I'm thinking of using the large case 3" super turbo's to quiet it down alot. Only thing is that they are 200 for the pair. I've listened to a few videos with mopars and those muffs and they didn't sound so great. any other recommendations for a pair of mufflers? Here's what it sounds like now (yea its a b-body, but the b body forum kinda sucks).

I have them on 2 cars, 2.5" & 3", I like them, they sound nice, loud when you get on them and a good tone at cruise. No tinny sound. I got them with my exhaust, and they work well.

They are very good mufflers. What part number you looking at? We tested pretty much all the varieties they have.

I have them on 2 cars, 2.5" & 3", I like them, they sound nice, loud when you get on them and a good tone at cruise. No tinny sound. I got them with my exhaust, and they work well.
Looking at 17669

That is a really good muffler but would be really tough to fit it on an A-body but there is room under a B-body . I ran some on the 69 Barracuda but I flanged the outlets. These are offset-offset.

To fit right on, you really need offset center configurations to fit B or A Bodies though.

It will sound great and flow very well and be relatively quiet.

Last edited:
I like Magnaflow straight through mufflers. I have the 18" oval case (total length 24") It quieted down my 440 but still roars when you get on it. Doesn't have the tinny sound or drone like the flowmaster.

That is a really good muffler but would be really tough to fit it on an A-body but there is room under a B-body . I ran some on the 69 Barracuda but I flanged the outlets. These are offset-offset.

To fit right on, you really need offset center configurations to fit B or A Bodies though.

It will sound great and flow very well and be relatively quiet.
Sorry, I meant 17769

Oliver, I have two 17748 Dynomax mufflers which are offset center and are the old Super Turbo "Hemi-sized" mufflers with 2.5" inlet and outlets and they work great.

The bigger 17769s are higher flowing and sound pretty much the same and work great as well. They are big mufflers with 3" in and out and large case units at 5.5 by 11". They are tougher to fit under the cars but you can do it!
Tom

Thanks for the info you guys. Sounds like I'll be buying a pair. I'll let you know how it turns out. Any videos on how they sound on your cars?

I like Magnaflow straight through mufflers. I have the 18" oval case (total length 24") It quieted down my 440 but still roars when you get on it. Doesn't have the tinny sound or drone like the flowmaster.

I've had alot of experience with magnaflow and straight through packed mufflers and I feel like they are a little 'boomy' for my tastes.

I like them better than the flowmaster delta flow 50s I had but I'm still experimenting. Back when I was shopping mufflers, I remember there is a you tube video where they try out all the dynoflow mufflers on a engine (but I think it was a chebby) and sounded good. I think it was filmed at a car show and they swapped one muffler after another by slipping it on the pipes/headers sticking straight up in the air. You might have seen it already..if you haven't enter this in the you tube search and it's the first video..
Live Dynomax Muffler Demonstration - Hear them run!

The bigger 17769s are higher flowing and sound pretty much the same and work great as well. They are big mufflers with 3" in and out and large case units at 5.5 by 11". They are tougher to fit under the cars but you can do it!
Tom
ill try to get them to fit under my 66 b body. i think ill be able to.

Your taste in sound is a very personal taste and you may have to compromise between tail pipe sound and interior sound. What is more important?

Dyno Max mufflers are excellent flowing mufflers.

We ran a very early version of the big 3" mufflers that were 5.5" by 11" case on a 68 Chevelle Wagon with a 454 that ran low 11s (when the mufflers first came out long ago). They worked and the car ran and sounded very good. At the track, when others were running open headers, this car with these mufflers and tailpipes was almost dead silent in comparison.

Like Rob said, its all a matter of opinion. If you want good performance with a nice sound inside with minimal (if any) drone and a good sound outside without raspiness or that "box of rocks" sound some hollow mufflers provide, these are a great choice.

Tom Hand

We ran a very early version of the big 3" mufflers that were 5.5" by 11" case on a 68 Chevelle Wagon with a 454 that ran low 11s (when the mufflers first came out long ago). They worked and the car ran and sounded very good. At the track, when others were running open headers, this car with these mufflers and tailpipes was almost dead silent in comparison.

Like Rob said, its all a matter of opinion. If you want good performance with a nice sound inside with minimal (if any) drone and a good sound outside without raspiness or that "box of rocks" sound some hollow mufflers provide, these are a great choice.

Tom Hand

Got to say i like Dynomax Superturbos,i would described them as having a slightly larger,deaper sound similar to stock muffler that is alitle louder but not by a lot, got to realy like the larger body versions if they can be fited under the car!

I'll be definitely buying a pair of the large body 3" super turbos. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Looking to quiet down my ride. It's currently a 350ci 340, 10.5:1 compression, p&p j heads, 4 speed, hooker super comps, 3 inch exhaust, x pipe, 2 chamber mufflers, to full tail pipes out the back. I'm thinking of using the large case 3" super turbo's to quiet it down alot. Only thing is that they are 200 for the pair. I've listened to a few videos with mopars and those muffs and they didn't sound so great. any other recommendations for a pair of mufflers? Here's what it sounds like now (yea its a b-body, but the b body forum kinda sucks).

I listened to this and it doesn't sound loud to me. The only real way to know is to use a dB meter, and even its results can be subjective.

Hell, I think it sounds good and I wouldn't change anything. But that's just me.

As with every 'sound' movie on Youtube, you really have to listen to it with some good headphones on.
Stock computer speakers leave out a whole range of low and bass tones, which make engine/exhaust noise sound flimsy usually.

When we made our CD of muffler sounds back in 2001, we used very nice recording and editing equipment. We had one microphone for each pipe and everything was measured and recorded (for our benefit and analysis) including temperature, humidity, time of day, etc. We did it all one Sunday and when you think about making 54 runs, that was a lot of muffler and pipe changing and engine revving.

Even so, we had to watch out for the system reducing the sound levels to protect itself. In other words, when done, the loud mufflers are louder but not as much as they sound in real life. Using cell phones and stock computer speakers, as Big Block says, is often not as accurate, even with today's very good phones and computer speakers.

I used a calibrated dB meter always placed and locked into the same spot and we were very careful to observe loud background sounds (like wind) when doing the actual recording. I followed SAE testing guidelines and when we were all done, it work out very well. For example, with the 20" long Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, which are quiet for sure in most cases, you can listen closely to the CD with good speakers and/or headphones and hear relatively quiet background sounds like birds chirping and the electric fan we used on our test engine which was a long ways from the exhaust outlets. When listing to the sounds from the loudest chambered mufflers, you hear no background noise, only exhaust sounds. The reduction in levels the microphones or input to the recorder did to the sound level is very apparent to me and so much so, I put a caveat with the paperwork that went with the CD that explained that the CD sounds were accurate but the sound level was to be compared from the data collected with the dB meter and not from the CD itself.

Another interesting thing was the mufflers that drone in cars, tended to drone on the CD and with good playback equipment, you can actually hear the systems going into resonation. I intentionally selected the rpm to use that is very close to the point where V8 cars resonated. With the engine we used, around 2200 rpm was that point. With my 340, that is also about where my loud mufflers would resonate and roar.

A dB meter used consistently and according to guidelines is a must when making true comparisons. Even a few feet and directional orientation can make a big difference when dealing with sound levels. Just like Yellow Rose mentioned above.
Tom Hand

Absolutely!
YR makes a good note and Tom really excited Paine it all very well on how sound can change so quickly with microphones, distance, etc....

Police and there decibel meters know this!

I listened to this and it doesn't sound loud to me. The only real way to know is to use a dB meter, and even its results can be subjective.

Hell, I think it sounds good and I wouldn't change anything. But that's just me.

It does sound good, its just that it rattles the windows of my neighbors houses (confirmed that by going into their house while it was idling in my driveway), its tiring on anything longer than 5 miles, it attracts the attention of everyone in a 2 block radius, and i have had made kids cry and ladies jump when i fire it up at the gas station.

I know this is off subject, but which solid roller cam is that.

Its a comp 288r, their street solid roller.

It does sound good, its just that it rattles the windows of my neighbors houses (confirmed that by going into their house while it was idling in my driveway), its tiring on anything longer than 5 miles, it attracts the attention of everyone in a 2 block radius, and i have had made kids cry and ladies jump when i fire it up at the gas station.

Its a comp 288r, their street solid roller.

Well, all that just makes me happy!!!! Rattling Windows, attracting attention, crying kids and jumping ladies. Sounds to me like you nailed it right good!!!!

Well, all that just makes me happy!!!! Rattling Windows, attracting attention, crying kids and jumping ladies. Sounds to me like you nailed it right good!!!!
haha, i did nail it right good. I love loud cars and fast women but toning it down about a 1/3 will make me a bit happier on the longer drives, especially with my 8 month old and wife in the car.

-
Back