Are GM 3800 springs a direct replacemnt for beehive magnum springs??

-

dustoff440

Reaction score
I have two questions about the 3800 GM Beehive springs. When I looked them up by part number LS6 springs also popped up. Are these springs one and the same??

Second, will either one of these springs go on a stock magnum head without having to do ANY machine work.

(I am already aware that to run a replacement hydraulic roller in the 360 Magnum that is over about .525 lift, the valve guides must be cut down or order Hughes retainers which are supposed to solve this problem.)

Not sure....but a LOT of the valve springs fit several applications. For instance, this 454 I just built for this SS Chevelle I'm workin on takes the same spring as my 451 will, yet I put a hydraulic roller in the 454 and a mild solid flat tappet in the 451. The spring is the 924-16. That number is also good for the big block Ford. Probably other stuff as well. I know that didn't get your question answered, but it gives you some idea about valve spring fitment. Maybe someone can more specifically answer you.

I know the 3.1L springs will work. Not sure if those are the same as 3800s but if they are, yes they drop in. They dont allow for any extra lift but they are lightly stiffer IIRC.

NOTE: The Hughes retainers are for straight springs not beehive springs.

There was a lot of discussions a year or so ago on Moparts.com regarding the 3800 spring. I would go over there and do a search.

Search under the user name "PATRICK". He had that all figured out.

Conical (beehive) springs from a 3.3L Mopar — Sealed Power VS1458, for example
Retainers from a 2.8L Chevy

Dan, are those any different than the stock beehive springs that come on magnum heads? The stock springs on the magnum head give up the ghost at 5000 rpm and can't support more an .450" of lift. The GM spring is supposed to be good to .500" and why it's a consideration for magnum engines.

Gotta revive an old post. Any new info? I put 340 springs in my 273 and have an annoying tick from the left bank that sounds suspiciously like a valve spring hitting a rocker arm. I clearance'd the rockers but apparently not enough.

Why not get beehive springs for the correct application?

Sorry Stroker, I looked through the Comp Cams website and didn't have the patients to sort through the applications.

-
Back