Are our Slants "Unsafe"?

-

ValiantBandit

Reaction score
I keep hearing about how "safe" new cars are and I saw a crash test of a 1959 Chevy Bel Air vs. a new Chevy Malibu.

I just have a real hard time believing that a Chrysler Newport isn't as safe as a Scion xB. What would you rather get T-Boned in? I'm picking the Newport.

well, it is toss up. the newport is a big car, but lacks the new design "crumple zone" . all the new cars fold up like sardine cans, but the actual cabin area is made to keep you safe.
i just recently seen a crash test of a smart car. hit a concrete barrier at 70 mph, and it bounced off it like a basketball!. but for how hard it hit, the doors even opened up nicely!

In older vehicles, your body absorbs most of the impact.
Hit black ice on the interstate.
The truck was lowered so the bumper went under the gaurd rail at aboout 60 mph.
My chest bent the steering column, my wife did not have a seat belt on and she bent the dash, and broke the windshield with her head.
A very bad day.

wreck4.jpg

You must wear a seatbelt in whatever you drive......

I'd rather get T-boned in a Newport - at least it's a cooler car than a Scion!

well, it is toss up. the newport is a big car, but lacks the new design "crumple zone" . all the new cars fold up like sardine cans, but the actual cabin area is made to keep you safe.
i just recently seen a crash test of a smart car. hit a concrete barrier at 70 mph, and it bounced off it like a basketball!. but for how hard it hit, the doors even opened up nicely!
Seen that also, it did bounce pretty good.....

A friend of my Fathers was hit head on while driving his 64 Imperial.I can not remember what the other car was,but all 5 people in the car were killed.My Fathers friend came out of it without a scratch.This happened in the early 70's and so he drove 64-66 Imperials only for the 30 years until he died in the 90's.

Yeah they always show "head on" crashes. Like I said, I want to see a Chrysler Newport or a 1955 Cadillac T-Bone one of these new cars. Let's see how good those "crumple zones" fair. A damned airbag ain't gonna save you from 5-6,000lbs of steel smashing into you unless it's head on.

It blows my mind that people think these pieces of plastic are gonna save them when they rear-end me at 50 MPH...

Most accidents are rear-endings out here...Yeah these new cars may be better when they hit things going 70MPH. I don't drive 70MPH, in fact I barely crack 60....Plus I have a 3 point restraint seatbelt. I might get a concussion from an accident at 60MPH, but I'm not snapping my neck!

I've never seen anyone under 50 driving an Xb. Seriously.

One of my wife's old neigbors just bought one- she's 64.

Look close at the driver next time you see one.

Yeah they always show "head on" crashes. Like I said, I want to see a Chrysler Newport or a 1955 Cadillac T-Bone one of these new cars. Let's see how good those "crumple zones" fair. A damned airbag ain't gonna save you from 5-6,000lbs of steel smashing into you unless it's head on.

It blows my mind that people think these pieces of plastic are gonna save them when they rear-end me at 50 MPH...

Most accidents are rear-endings out here...Yeah these new cars may be better when they hit things going 70MPH. I don't drive 70MPH, in fact I barely crack 60....Plus I have a 3 point restraint seatbelt. I might get a concussion from an accident at 60MPH, but I'm not snapping my neck!

You cant go by what you see externally. Our old cars are built tougher on the outside made of thicker metal and steel. Behind all that tin and plastic on a new car is a strong reinforced frame and structure of the car.

I don't think it would be accurate to say all new cars are safer than all old cars. It's not that simple. MANY factors come into play like force, angle, resistance...

That video was BS from the start. Did you see all the rust when the two collided, or the plastic tag that came flying out at :58? Doubt it even had the origin drive-train. I'd rather be in a 4000-5000 pound car than a Civic or smart car.....

I feel much safer driving my 1997 ram 3500 4X4 dually turbo diesel six cyl
than I do driving my V8 1966 barracuda

A friend of my Fathers was hit head on while driving his 64 Imperial.I can not remember what the other car was,but all 5 people in the car were killed.My Fathers friend came out of it without a scratch.This happened in the early 70's and so he drove 64-66 Imperials only for the 30 years until he died in the 90's.

same kinda story when my dad was growing up...

they were out in the big ole chrysler and a new pinto rear ended them... the chrysler needed a buff on the bumper...

the pinto on the other hand had the motor thru the firewall, the hood was bent in half, yadda yadda...

2003 buick rearended me in my sons duster....the duster has some minor rust issues around the taillights....bent the exhaust system,bent the rear bumper and brackets and small dent in the center of the taillight panel.......6400$ to repair the buick not including the airbag since it never went off...i'm guessing the buick was doing about 15 mph when it hit me...it had anti lock brakes....that stuff dont work on a damp road or on gravel or on snow or on dust it's all crapp them smart cars that bounce off everything instead of folding will kill a person instantly and if it not from the first impact it'll be from whatever it bounces into next like oncoming traffic or over a cliff or down an embankment....you wont catch me drivin them boxes of junk and them scion things should come in cardboard color.....just slap a ups label on it and send it back to where it came from and the rest of them foreign cars can go too, just my opinion

I think some of them cars oughtta come with casket handles already attached.

Seen that also, it did bounce pretty good.....
yeah me too, but they stated laterin the show that the occupants would have died from the shock of their brains hitting the inside of their skull. so all in one piece but dead anyway.

The 7th gen' Camry for 2012 has 11 airbags standard. the new cars sacrafice themselves to save the occupants.
In most cases where the body and mechanical damge isn't severe, the cost to replace the airbags and seatbelts as required by law and the insurance assoc. render the vehicle total loss.
Is driving a chassic a trade off or compremise? Are we willing to accept our share of the injury so we can heal ourselves, repair oor rides and get back out there ? YEP
My 67 vert project car was T-boned in the drivers door. I wasn't there but I'm sure it had to hurt.
Here's my inspiration.. The bible says "They will jostle one against another in the broadways". It doesn't go on to say "You will die from this". Doesn't say you wont either.
The entire book is about being prepared to die at any moment.

-
Back