Are these lifters compatible in a stock block?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a Lunati solid cam and these EDM lifters. I haven't installed them yet. I'm curious about the wide open space in the middle. A knowledgeable Mopar guy said these may be the type for use with bushings in the lifter bores. What do you think?

Attachments

• DSCN1723.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 299
  • DSCN1716.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 240
they will work,they are just like some of the 273 lifters....put them in....

I have never looked closely at a 273 solid lifter, so I am a bit leery here.
this is my first solid lifter build. I've had mixed luck with cams in the last few years. I think with the better understanding of oil supplements i have a better chance of success.
The wide open area in the middle has me worried though. these lifters by Howards look more conventional:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-91718

The oil band is much thinner like a traditional Hydraulic lifter.
It seems like the wide gap in the Lunati lifter would allow the oil in the lifter gallery to pour right past and not even pressurize.

Ugh. I wasn't aware they were dumbbell lifters. Like I said in my PM, the concern is that on the smaller base circle cams, the wide band will allow oil pressure loss. I know for a fact on a small block with a radical cam that DOES happen. I've seen it first hand and known people who've had the same issue. I'm no expert on it though so they might be ok in a big block. My early Hemi has them in it, but they are correct for those engines. I was not aware anyone even sold those for use in the modern engines. I know you can also use them on a slant six. Maybe somebody with a little more knowhow about these will chime in.

how big is the camshaft your gonna use?does a new lunati cam have a small base circle? i wouldnt think so.small basecircle cams are only regrinds right?so as long as the lift isnt too much your prob good.i would putthe cam in and measure where the cutaway area travels.at least then you will know....

I saw somewhere recently a picture of one of those lifters in the bore, and it did exactly what you are concerened about.
(Came so far up out of the bore that it lost all the oil pressure out of the lifter galley.)

Whether or not they "leak" will depend on the block and camshaft you use them in. Some blocks the lifter bores are machined deeper down than others. Check carefully when you assemble.

I decided after talking with a tech guy at Lunati to return them and buy a set of the Howards EDM lifters. They have a snap ring inside that confuses me a bit, since they are solid lifters. They also are AMC/Mopar spec, so they have an oil hole in the pushrod cup. My non oil-through pushrods will just block the oil from flowing.

They are solid. That is the best kind. The snap ring holds a metering valve that controls oil flow. The pushrod stopping oil flow will hurt nothing. Since the engine gets oil through the block and heads to the top end, you're covered.

-
Back