Are you a respected member?

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
I was just sitting here thinking about how some of the "new comers" almost seems to sit in the shadows for awhile and sometimes come off as not knowing much about the hobby or some of us who have been here awhile almost talk to them in a different way (in a teacher student kind of way).

I also notice that many of the "new comers" that I have seen arrive here at fabo in the past are now among the "regulars" here.

what I wonder is......where is the transition point? what turns a "newbie" into a "regular" ? , And what turns a "regular" into a "respected member"? , And what turns a "respected member" into a somewhat "famous member"? (eh hmmm cough MEMIKE cough cough ) lol.

just bored and was thinking about that and figured I would see what you guys thought about it and what you think makes members transition (status wise)

examples.... post count? , good dealings and feed back ? , super friendly ? , very helpful ? , car **** picture taker/shower? HAHA, length of membership?, Age of member?

I think all things play a factor in it. Me, some do not like how i part some cars, but i think for the most part, i am a respected member. I also have alot of respect for most of the regulars!

i think having a good post count, not just posts...

kinda like when you see fishy68 or CB make a post about trans/drivetrain stuff you know its right... (unless a typo)...

also no starting BS and being able to take one off the chin for the fun of it helps also...

I'm a "regular" member but I don't think I have the respect like some other members. I think it's because I'm a young gun (16 year old) and that most people probably think I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. If I don't know what I'm talking about than I don't post something pretending to know it. I've been around cars my whole life. Heck I even have a picture of me in a stroller at a car show. Sorry about my rant, carry on.

I try to help all in anyway I can, and dont care if im famous or respected, that we can prove on the track or the show field........or it comes down to it in the school yard. All a million posts mean to me is you need to get back to work!

im not sure,and it dont really matter.i try not to get involved in any of the bs.to answer your question directly i dont think im a popular/respected member of this site.i do however think that the people ive met on here IN PERSON respect me.

Quote: HAHA, length of membership?, Age of member? or do you mean length of member".\\:D/ Sorry couldn't resist.

I don't much think about whether the OP'r is a newbie or an long termer, If a question gets asked that I can answer I just go ahead and sometimes I even add a little humour. I do find that most questions get answered long before I get there so I just move along. As far as being respected, I could care less, I've made my "bones" long ago and I'm long winded with everyone new and old. It's like my buddy Clint once said "Ya gotto know your limitations".

Bottom line for me is.....
I'm here because i want to be here, i hope i help people in the best way i know how.
If i don't know anything about the subject or am unclear, i pass on responding.
I am on here at least 1 hour per day, and i enjoy it here, it's like we're family....arguments and all!
I have a deep seeded love for these cars and i am proud to be a member of this community.
I do get p.o.'d once in awhile, but i usually bite my tongue. (it ain't easy sometimes)
I like to think that i am an accepted member here, i do my best.
As for newbies, i don't care as long as they contribute in a good way and aren't a-holes.
Post count doesn't equal respect.
I am here to learn and to help others as well as to have a few laughs!
Accept me or not, i am here to stay. Muuuuhahahaha!

I think people who are here to be respected are missing the point
I am just here to have fun! (and possibly learn something)

I believe the "Respect is earned, not given" would apply here. The post count of any person here would play a huge part in determining if the member is "respected". The way one carries themselves in any form of communication either spoken directly or typed is a factor in the level of intellect of the person who says something to another person. One who would come on here and constantly use hurtful words against others would end up getting banned from these forums and would deserve to. I personally believe that most of the people out here are very good people who would give you the shirt off their back if needed. It is all in how you represent yourself.You can gauge the person out here based on the number of posts and the quality of the post content as to how that persons ability to communicate. Caring and consideration for one another is paramount in earning respect. Great Question, Thanks for posting it.

It feel that people who come to this site are usually respect-able, insofar as they appreciate and care for a-bodies. I respect them until they give me reason not to, usually it's someone putting down a fellow member. But again 99% of members here are ' good people.'

I'm on here to help others out, get help when I need it, and hopefully make a few friends along the way. I have a few people on here that I have a lot of respect for. They have a lot of knowledge, are good people, and overall are the reason Im on this site as much as I am. As far as becoming a respected member its more about your willingness to help out and your attitude then post count. You don't have to know everything either, just willing to help. As far as a ''famous'' title goes I think that comes with again a lot of willingness to help and also a loooooonnnnnnnnnnngggggggg time being here.

I respect them until they give me reason not to'

That's how I look at it.

I am all about having respect for those who come along until they give me reason not to.

as for what I think about it......I look at those with high post counts and those who have been members of fabo for some time and I think they may just know a thing or two.

I look at seller/buyer review ratings and good guy alerts to know if a member is trustworthy and I also base my respect on people that way aswell (not completely base my respect off that but it does play a factory if I see someone has bad guy alerts or bad reviews because it says alot about someones character).

I also gain ALOT of respect from those who stand up to help those who are in need....rather it be someone is having trouble paying bills or is losing their house or rather it be someone new to working on mopars has a question and someone steps up and puts full effort into giving as much info on it as possible. I have been on both ends of "the stick" in these situations here on fabo and it really says alot about a person.

those who are very knowledgeable about the things they talk about need no introduction because its easy to see those people are not new to the game when you see the things they have to say about a particular subject.

I personally would have to say that I think what makes a member transition through certain "ranks" if you will is (kindness,helpfulness,caring,funny,respectful, knowledgeable ) and the list can go on.....its a hard question to pin point down to a science.

I would consider myself a respected member.....I don't know everything but if I see something that I can chime in on I will try to help when I can. If a good cause comes up and I can afford to make a donation ...I jump on board, I enjoy the hobby and love seeing what others do with what they are building, I enjoy the friends I have made and I have learned alot in the time I have been here.

I think there is no definitive answer to the question I have asked lol but oh well.

I think this is a great, if not undefinable question. I know I learn way more here than I could ever give back. If you listen real close, you can learn a lot about how people and family should be.

I feel I,ve earned repect here.My post count has gone through the roof lately,with new and old members asking questions and for pics of how i,ve done my builds.engine builds,minitubs,rear narrowing,fenderwells,roll cage, etc,etc.Having built an Early-A,I get asked alot of questions,as did I when I first started my Early-A project.I like...Pay it forward..and will help anyone to the best of my knowledge.I wouldn,t change it for anything.Since joining FABO I,ve met and made many good people and friends.I respect many members here for not just their knowledge of Mopars,but also they,re friendlyness to help with everyday life issues.FABO is a whole lot more than just about cars.:thumbrig:

For me, respect is given to the countless people on fabo that are willing to help anyone who has a question that may seem dumb to a few others. Post count really has nothing to do with it. Heck, what are some of the post counts of the banned?
This sight has been an addiction for me. I really enjoy most of the topics,opinions, even the good hearted banter between members.

That......and where else are ya gonna see so many 67-69 Notchbacks...IMO the sexiest of the A bodies...

i got hooked when i found the slant 6 forum. then i started asking questions to learn new stuff. im not a great mechanic and i dont have alot of money to play since having kids. i do try to contribute from my experiences since ive made most every mistake that can be made while working on cars for the past 20 some odd years. no one has ever hammered me in any posts, so i assume im at least respected a little bit. probrably more so here than at work,lol.

After being on here for awhile, you start to get to know members, not only by the content of their posts, but the way they present themselves in their posts. To me, it's like one big family...you may not be best friends with everybody in your family, but they all play a part in the family somehow. How you fit in basically comes down to how you try to fit in. Some are straight to the point...some only chime in on tech issues...some are jokesters, some are not!!! In the end, it's all good here. A new member can fit right in by simply being oneself and joining in at whatever level they care to. I have made many friends here...and I know that some of them feel they are mis-represented here for whatever reason, but in my world all are respected here until they disrespect someone else, then they lose a little respect. The more that happens, the more respect they lose until someone calls them out or they get the message from the "family"!!! I like to call everyone here friends, and will do so until further notice!!!LOL!!! Geof

I'm not here looking for respect:geek:I'm here because of my love for MOPARS.Heck you guys & gals let ANYBODY hangout here:toothy1:I happen to be a "B" body and have many friends with "A" bodies.8-)

I am a man of few words and even fewer talents. I usually frequent this site on a learning basis as my Dart is the first "Real" mopar I've owned. Sometimes ill chime in with advice about something I'm almost certain about, other times Ill throw in a cynical remark but its always in good humor. I rarely post about my progress on the dart because I do not feel quite up to par with the rest of the community just yet..even though I am keeping close documentation and photo records of everything. So my status as a regular comes into question really because so far Ive found it was better to listen than speak out in most cases. My 2 cents on it lol.

Myself,I don't post randomly,I only post when I see that I can help someone or I run into a problem that I can't figure out ,which is not very often,I been in this hobby since I was a kid,my father got me into Mopars before I was 10,now that I'm 45 I know a lot ,but not everything.When I can't find parts I come up with a plan and make them or retro fit something to work.I love this hobby,extremely enjoy it,according to my girlfriend and my kids ,they all think they are a close second to it.As for respect I'll earn it as I go,sooner or later I'll be a regular,not worried about it,I just don't sweat the small stuff.I like to read the posts and learn stuff I don't know,there is always someone out there that knows more than me.As for those who don't really know ,lets teach young grasshoppers the way.Is always that one who thinks he knows everything and don't know diddly,meet them and said ok let me know how that works. lol
Trust me I'll start posting more and more before its over,even tho I'm a newbie.
May the Holy Hemi look over you and your projects. Hemillujuh !!!

-
Back