Arizona Swinger

-
Just wanted to say your Dart is looking great!!!! It must feel great to being this close to finishing it.
Jim
Thanks Jim! I am close to being finished, but a few things that seem to be out of my control are dictating being able to completely finish and being able to drive the car. It seems that not everyone is as anxious to get to the things I need accomplished as I am! Ben.

Looks like the transmission will be returning from Phoenix on Monday in a couple of boxes, all apart! The price kept going up and up and to the point where I can purchase a rebuilt unit cheaper than having my own rebuilt. Have a couple of shops here locally who want to look at what I have and give me an estimate without charging to inspect. Will have to see!

Managed to get the front chrome trim for the vinyl top that go at the top of the 'A' pillars on..... the left side looks fine, but the original holes put in by the factory on the right side were done so that the chrome tilts upward next to the drip rail trim!?! Thought about re=drilling the locating hole and leveling the trim where it should be.....but if I do level the trim, the old locating hole will show above the trim. Guess since it came from the factory slightly off, I'll leave it alone for now!

Did a total on my folder full of receipts for this build, and although I knew my original goal of 15k was probably unreasonable, I didn't think the build, (one not farmed out to a professional restoration shop), would reach double that figure, but it has, and more! But I didn't build this car to 'flip', but to enjoy with the wife! Ben.

FINALLY!!! found a good used transmission; looks to have been recently rebuilt, to put in the Dart. Came out of a 70 model Swinger 340 car, so there should not be any problems with installation. I'm going to still pursue having the trans. I originally put in the Dart rebuilt so I can keep an extra one just in case.

Finished up the interior.....installed the seat back release levers and bezels, as well as the seat track cable that runs the width of the seat connecting the release arms on the bench seat tracks, so the seat will slide forward and backward evenly. Only thing I'm lacking is the seat belts which will be in the end of the week and a good cleaning and waxing, and a front end alignment! Ben.

FINALLY!!! found a good used transmission; looks to have been recently rebuilt, to put in the Dart. Came out of a 70 model Swinger 340 car, so there should not be any problems with installation. I'm going to still pursue having the trans. I originally put in the Dart rebuilt so I can keep an extra one just in case.

Finished up the interior.....installed the seat back release levers and bezels, as well as the seat track cable that runs the width of the seat connecting the release arms on the bench seat tracks, so the seat will slide forward and backward evenly. Only thing I'm lacking is the seat belts which will be in the end of the week and a good cleaning and waxing, and a front end alignment! Ben.

You might want to try Bill Edwards from up here in WA state for your seat belts. He is putting out some really nice concourse level belts

You might want to try Bill Edwards from up here in WA state for your seat belts. He is putting out some really nice concourse level belts

THANKS! for the referral! Have purchased some from Classic Industries already. Took a while to get them, seems they are probably from PG in Canada and always seem to be on back order, at least for colors other than black. Got a good discount though! Ben.

got the seat belts in after a quite lengthy back order. Seems the 70 model, maybe some earlier ones, had eight sets of seat belts for 6 passengers! Six people get lap belts, and the front outer passenger and driver get an extra set for the shoulder belts. Managed to install all of the seat belts up front and the outer male belts for the rear, but need to locate two more shouldered anchor bolts for the four center belts for the rear, then I can put the rear seat back in and finally have the interior complete, except for detailing. Transmission should be on its' way so we should have the car back on the ground and out of the shop soon! Ben.

Attachments

• 02-21-13 001.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 402
  • 02-21-13 002.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 400
  • 02-21-13 004.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 403
  • 02-21-13 005.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 407
  • 02-21-13 006.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 398
got all of the seat belts installed, but had a difficult time getting the doors to shut! Had the outer retractors for the front bench seat installed backwards, and I also noticed that the old parts had a slight bend in them to bring the upper part closer to the seat itself and away from the door. I attempted to put a bend in the new retractor and managed to crack the outer plastic housing. I had restored the OEM units, so I installed them, and the door closing problem was solved. But I am somewhat aggravated that I damaged the new units. Well maybe down the line I'll be able to use some of the parts. Ben.

Attachments

• 02-25-13 005.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 401
  • 02-25-13 004.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 372
  • 02-25-13 003.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 361
  • 02-25-13 002.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 364
  • 02-25-13 001.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 396
picked up a good used transmission off of EBay, out of a 1970 Swinger 340.....took a while to get it, but from all indications, and the condition of the internals, looks to be a very good transmission. Wouldn't you know it though, the transmission I originally had installed in the car, sent out to have rebuilt, only to have it returned in pieces, is going to be delivered from a local builder, ready to install into the car! Will probably send the EBay trans. back with the builder to have the seals and gaskets freshened up, and keep it for a back up. Looking forward to driving this week??! Ben.

Attachments

• 03-04-13 001.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 364
  • 03-04-13 002.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 330
  • 03-04-13 003.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 339
Still mulling over these paint colors. The greens are f4 and f8 original colors. The yellow is 2010 Dodge 'detonator yellow'--what do you think? Ben.

I get alot of comments over the green on my Swinger. Just had the F8 repainted.

Attachments

• IMG_4689.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_4687.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 322
I get alot of comments over the green on my Swinger. Just had the F8 repainted.

I catch myself looking at the F8 color on the roof and thinking I really would have liked that color over the entire car! But the two tone green dates the car to an earlier time and I'll probably never run across another one at a show! And also the wife likes the main body F4 color as much as I like the F8 roof color, so we are both happy! Ben.

Just read most of the thread, think I quit reading back when you said you were going to paint in Detonator Yellow! Green with envy now, great job.

I wrote down the info (fender tag etc... late 2009 I think?) when this was for sale. Waupala, WI, dry from New Mexico, 3 build sheets, etc... You car was built a few days after mine. Hope you have a blast this summer!

Your F8 Swinger looks great too, neighbor from Calgary! (mopar1970dart)

Just read most of the thread, think I quit reading back when you said you were going to paint in Detonator Yellow! Green with envy now, great job.

I wrote down the info (fender tag etc... late 2009 I think?) when this was for sale. Waupala, WI, dry from New Mexico, 3 build sheets, etc... You car was built a few days after mine. Hope you have a blast this summer!

Your F8 Swinger looks great too, neighbor from Calgary! (mopar1970dart)

CORRECT! you are! Picked this car up off of EBay back in 2010 from Wisconsin! Gentleman said it was from New Mexico, but it had an Arizona title and the previous owner was from Gilbert, which is a suburb of Phoenix. Wasn't sure about those green colors until the paint was in the paint gun and being sprayed! Ben. (By the way, QUITE! a selection of Mopars you own!!).

Got the original transmission back this morning from the builder so a little bit of cast iron gray to 'spruce' it up. Posted the stamped numbers since this is not the original trans. to the car, if somebody is looking?! (I'm assuming it came from a 68 model, 8B257729?) Will probably install the other trans. I have since it does not have any stampings on the case. Ben.

Attachments

• 03-07-13C 004.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 287
  • 03-07-13C 003.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 277
  • 03-07-13C 002.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 295
  • 03-07-13C 001.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 292
back out on the street again, and shifting seems to be good! A few noises here and there that need to be dealt with, along with some fine tuning, and I should be back out on the street for an extended break in cruise. Looking forward to Saturday afternoon, when I can spend the needed time getting an alignment and finishing up the car! Ben.

back out on the street again, and shifting seems to be good! A few noises here and there that need to be dealt with, along with some fine tuning, and I should be back out on the street for an extended break in cruise. Looking forward to Saturday afternoon, when I can spend the needed time getting an alignment and finishing up the car! Ben.

I assume the tranny is back in. I forgot to suggest that you install steel forks in the tranny rather than using the brass. more beefy. Also, to get a better peddle feel you may want to consider changing out the rubber pad on the clutch arm where it goes into the clutch fork. replace it with a Chevy rocker ball. Make sure you put a little grease on the ball. You get a better feel when you engage the clutch.

I assume the tranny is back in. I forgot to suggest that you install steel forks in the tranny rather than using the brass. more beefy. Also, to get a better peddle feel you may want to consider changing out the rubber pad on the clutch arm where it goes into the clutch fork. replace it with a Chevy rocker ball. Make sure you put a little grease on the ball. You get a better feel when you engage the clutch.

Thanks for the suggestions......trans is back in and from the initial run up and down the street everything seems to be okay. Just need to fine tune the engine, especially those 3 carburetors! Ben.

Stick a fork in it!! It's done! (As if it really ever is!) The Dart is finished for now, with a few bugs to be worked out on shake down drives, but my list of things to do has just had the last item crossed off. My original intent of 6 months turned into almost three years, and my original budget......well I'm not going to go there! A little bit overcast in Tucson today, so the colors aren't quite as vibrant as they are in the bright sun. Ben.

Attachments

• 03-08-13 001.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 03-08-13 002.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 03-08-13 003.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 259
  • 03-08-13 004.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 258
  • 03-08-13 007.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 271
  • 03-08-13 009.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 299
  • 03-08-13 008.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 272
fork......part 2. Ben.

Attachments

• 03-08-13 010.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 261
  • 03-08-13 011.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 259
  • 03-08-13 013.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 249
  • 03-08-13 014.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 03-08-13 015.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 256
  • 03-08-13 016.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 254
As always, it looks great, I'm putting together a 70' Vitamin C Swinger with a six pack myself and have used your build pics several times for ideas and proper assembly techniques. Thanks for all the detailed pics throughout the process.

As always, it looks great, I'm putting together a 70' Vitamin C Swinger with a six pack myself and have used your build pics several times for ideas and proper assembly techniques. Thanks for all the detailed pics throughout the process.

Glad to help! I know I have picked up quite a few tips and ideas from others on FABO that have really helped with my project, as well. Ben.

-
Back