ARP Main Studs / Head Studs

-

dart73br

Reaction score
Hello folks,

reading the ARP instructios it says 110lb/ft of preload for main studs and head studs. Is that correct? It seems too much...

I have always followed their instructions when torquing their fasteners without an issue. If it calls for 110, that's exactly what I would do, in three equal steps if I remember right.

I also would follow the instructions. One thing I hadn’t thought of when I questioned the torque value was that the studs are fine thread. So more friction to overcome?

I also would follow the instructions. One thing I hadn’t thought of when I questioned the torque value was that the studs are fine thread. So more friction to overcome?

If you don’t put a bore gauge in the hole after you torque the cap, you won’t know how much it distorts. Then let it sit for 20 minutes, knock it loose and torque it again to the same number and see if it distorts the same. It probably won’t.

Stock caps usually won’t take that much load without having issues. So you need to back the torque off so it won’t distort the bore differently even time you tighten it down.

Aluminum caps are horrible for this. No way can you put all that load on them.

I have been using ARP head and main studs since...well....a really long time (18 years I think). I have always torqued them to their spec (110ft/lbs), no issues with that ever. This was on 3 different motors, all with aluminum heads.

I'm stalling pretty strong Steel Caps so I don´t think it would distort. More concerned about the stress this can cause on the engine block.

Be sure 110 ft/lbs is the correct torque for the fastener thread size and the type of lube used on the threads.

If you contact ARP, they will text or email you the instructions for installing or reinstalling their fasteners.

-
Back