[FOR SALE] Ask and you shall recieve! (Flip Top Gas cap Adapter)

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you developed an adapter for the early A bodies? I know you mentioned you would be working on one. I read the whole thread and this is a great product.

There was an article in a Mopar magazine a few years ago where they recessed into the panel of a 68 or 69 Dart the flip cap from a Barracuda. Much body work and refitting the filler tube. Doable, but this is a eaiser way and can be undone.

Put me on the list if it fits a 66 Barracuda!

I think that I got one of the first batch. After I put it on I wasn't sure if I liked it, now thaty its been on for a while I'm liking it more and more. Definitely handy come time to put the gas in.

gas cap small.jpg

Wow guys, I have had quite a few more people asking for an early A adapter.
OK to help me out here how "Early" are we talking here?
What is it, 64-66 Barracuda are similar, I think the Darts are similar from 64-66 as well?
So are what all are you hoping for?
By the way!!!
There may be a perk in it for a few select people here, since I dont have all these cars at my disposal. I may need a few owners to get me some incredibly good measurements, and in return I will give an adapter to them.
We will see what I can come up with on my own, if anything then Ill be sure to ask for some help where needed.
Help me solve which cars and what years we are talking about here first.
Also, its possible that it may not be worth the cost if there arent enough people interested in the particular model for a specific adapter. So I also need to know how many people want them and for what car specifically.
Let me know guys. I am on vacation right now and may be able to jump on the design next week sometime.
Lata'!!!!!!

Wow guys, I have had quite a few more people asking for an early A adapter.
OK to help me out here how "Early" are we talking here?
What is it, 64-66 Barracuda are similar, I think the Darts are similar from 64-66 as well?
So are what all are you hoping for?
By the way!!!
There may be a perk in it for a few select people here, since I dont have all these cars at my disposal. I may need a few owners to get me some incredibly good measurements, and in return I will give an adapter to them.
We will see what I can come up with on my own, if anything then Ill be sure to ask for some help where needed.
Help me solve which cars and what years we are talking about here first.
Also, its possible that it may not be worth the cost if there arent enough people interested in the particular model for a specific adapter. So I also need to know how many people want them and for what car specifically.
Let me know guys. I am on vacation right now and may be able to jump on the design next week sometime.
Lata'!!!!!!

'63-'66 Valiant/Barracuda will be the same and honestly from looking at the two, I don't think there will be any difference between them and what you would need for a '63-'66 Dart.

Truth be told, I don't see why this won't work on an early-a as is. It's been a few years since I've had anything post '66, but I don't notice any difference, or at least not one I can remember.

Let one of us early-a'ers try one out, quickest way to sort it out. You should be able to find someone in the TMC willing to help out, if you don't let me know and I'll see about making a trip down.

BTW, how much were these beasts going for again? I was thinking it wasn't too awful much. I might would be willing to just bite the bullet and get one, the gas cap I currently run already leaks and doesn't look anywhere as cool as a flip top.

Any serious differences that will give me trouble will be how deep the recess is around the filler neck. Chrysler was pretty good about keeping thing standard, but really that's something that can different and not be noticed without measuring it.

As far as price goes, they are 31.00 on here only. If you go to Ebag, then it may get quite a bit higher. However I havent had a lot of them lately.
By the way, price wise, you cant get much cheaper on these. When I first started these, I gave the pattern to a few select people because I had no intention of making them. Those people had them made and paid more to have them done. The material and cost to have it machined is NOT cheap, so..... Believe me you are getting a good price. Not to mention I have had people pay quite a bit more on ebay.
Thx for your interest guys!!

'63-'66 Valiant/Barracuda will be the same and honestly from looking at the two, I don't think there will be any difference between them and what you would need for a '63-'66 Dart.

Truth be told, I don't see why this won't work on an early-a as is. It's been a few years since I've had anything post '66, but I don't notice any difference, or at least not one I can remember.

Let one of us early-a'ers try one out, quickest way to sort it out. You should be able to find someone in the TMC willing to help out, if you don't let me know and I'll see about making a trip down.

BTW, how much were these beasts going for again? I was thinking it wasn't too awful much. I might would be willing to just bite the bullet and get one, the gas cap I currently run already leaks and doesn't look anywhere as cool as a flip top.

I believe the gas cap changed between 66 and 67 to a deeper cap. The locking tabs on the later models go in to the filler neck deeper. This cap will not tighten on a 66 or earlier A body. As for whats what. Usless has it correct as all 63 to 66 Dodge/ Plymouths A's are the same in the fuel filler area.

Any serious differences that will give me trouble will be how deep the recess is around the filler neck. Chrysler was pretty good about keeping thing standard, but really that's something that can different and not be noticed without measuring it.

I have a friend with a '75 Dart, I'll try to catch up with him this week and measure it and the Valiant side by side to see how much difference there is.

I believe the gas cap changed between 66 and 67 to a deeper cap. The locking tabs on the later models go in to the filler neck deeper. This cap will not tighten on a 66 or earlier A body. As for whats what. Usless has it correct as all 63 to 66 Dodge/ Plymouths A's are the same in the fuel filler area.

The locking tabs shouldn't matter here since the flip top cap is a press seal.

I have a 66 Dart, 65 Barracuda and a 74 Duster sitting within 20 yards of me. Let me know what measurements you need. :-D

Thanks Bud...
Because of an issue I had with the welder when doing the body work, the cap wouldn't sit flat, had to do a little mod, no biggie but I think it looks GREAT! Love it...Thanks

ATT4865932.jpg

ATT4865823.jpg

Looks cool. I would take one but first need a flip up. Like your project almost looks familiar eh! Been working on mine for a while.

100_1067.jpg

I'd like to get one for my '63 Valiant. She's sitting outside the door and can provide measurements if needed.

Now where to find a flip cap 8)

Whitey! That a beautiful car! Cap looks bad *** on there too!

OK guys I have been dragging my feet on this! Im going to get back to the 63-66 Guys hopefully this week! I hope to have some made by the end of the month.

I'm in for one when you get them done. Thanks for the effort, us early A folks appreciate it! :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back