ASSEMBLY ORDER QUESTION

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I am winding my build down and it's time to start thinking about paint. I am sending the car to a pro shop to make sure that all my work is correct and to do any final tweaking that needs be done.

I was originally going to send the shell out and get everything done at once including any body work, painting the hidden stuff, setting the fenders and doors then the final paint. THEN, put it back together.

The fellow at the shop suggested that I get any final bodywork done, get the hidden parts painted, and get the body panels set. Basically everything except the final paint. He then suggested that I bring the car home and re-assemble it, THEN bring it back for it's final paint.

Any thoughts.......Pros and cons?

Thanks

I like the idea the shop suggested, that way you get paint on all the hidden bits and a final paint of the entire body as a unit.
I assume the body shop is talking about re assembly minus trim etc.

That is how I'll be doing mine. Its still getting metal work done. Once that is complete, it will get the inside, bottom, trunk, engine bay and window channels painted. I'll bring it home and assemble then take it back for exterior paintwork

The shops that I have worked with paint all the bolt on parts (fenders, front and back extensions, valances, trunk lid, hood and doors separately and at the same time as the body and then send them home with me to reassemble). They do the body work with the panels loosely fit to be sure everything matches up like it should and then take it all off to paint. If you are careful and take your time, I believe that yields the best results

I like the idea the shop suggested, that way you get paint on all the hidden bits and a final paint of the entire body as a unit.
I assume the body shop is talking about re assembly minus trim etc.
Correct. I would put the car back together mechanically and the interior.

It's much easier to put the bolt on panels back on & align all the gaps before the final paint is on the car, but yes, I would blow in all the jambs & hidden spots first while it's apart, but that's just me. Some paint the fenders, doors, trunk, hood etc. off the car, but if that's done, be sure the panels are painted in the same way/direction as when the are attached to the car with metallic paint, so the paint lay's out like it would when it's bolted on, otherwise the shade of paint could be off & not match with the body of the car. Metallic paint is kinda' tricky unless your pretty good at it.

Be glad you have a shop willing to paint the car while together. Go with this plan!

You get the best results with all the panels being the same color with a assembled car. Especially with metallic paint.

Painting a car in pieces with lime green! yellow, and white are pretty forgiving colors. Metallics can come out very different depending on the painter.

-
Back