AT&T just put this in my backyard!

-

TF360

Reaction score
It's a 5G pole. Anybody familiar with these. It's only 40 feet from my sons bedroom. Is it dangerous?

5g pole.jpg

I've been through this a zillian times.

1...There is no actual proof that RF radiation is bad for you except in certain "near field" situations--- think in terms of sticking your hand into a microwave with the door safety bypassed

2...ANY energy, whether RF, light, heat, whatever, changes up or down, closer or further, by "squares". This means that as you move away, the power drops off tremendously fast. you receive more energy from your toaster than you do from any high mounted antenna

3...Unlike "the old days" of AM broadcast, or even FM or TV antennas, these are WAY less power output, a few watts rather than many kilowatts

Forget the tinfoil claims. You face more danger from everyday household accidents and appliances and CERTAINLY more danger biking or driving on pubic highways.

I wonder how close is too close?
For starters you would have to climb that pole, which is illegal, and devise a seat/ sling/ harness so you an "live" up there every day for days, weeks, months on end with your head next to the antenna.....................

"How's that goin for ya?"

As an example, our old GCA RADAR is listed as having a peak power output of 45KW. But the pulse width is only 1.8 microseconds. The pulse rate is 5500hz. If I did this right that gives a duty cycle of .00099. The AVERAGE power is something like only 45 watts

What we had for "specs" back in those days--------and who knows who came up with them, is that the minimum safe distance for the antenna in scan is ONE FOOT. You can not get that close if the radome doors on the antennas are shut, as they are more than a food from the antenna reflectors. If you were to stop the scan --"fixed scan"-- the listed safe distance was 10 feet The catwalk was right up against the trailer, so you "would not" have wanted to be there. But who knows who came up with those safe distances and whether they were even close?

THE FACT IS there was NEVER any reason to be on the catwalk when the RADAR was operating.

Last edited:
For starters you would have to climb that pole, which is illegal, and devise a seat/ sling/ harness so you an "live" up there every day for days, weeks, months on end with your head next to the antenna.....................

"How's that goin for ya?"

As an example, our old GCA RADAR is listed as having a peak power output of 45KW. But the pulse width is only 1.8 microseconds. The pulse rate is 5500hz. If I did this right that gives a duty cycle of .00099. The AVERAGE power is something like only 45 watts

What we had for "specs" back in those days--------and who knows who came up with them, is that the minimum safe distance for the antenna in scan is ONE FOOT. You can not get that close if the radome doors on the antennas are shut, as they are more than a food from the antenna reflectors. If you were to stop the scan --"fixed scan"-- the listed safe distance was 10 feet The catwalk was right up against the trailer, so you "would not" have wanted to be there. But who knows who came up with those safe distances and whether they were even close?

THE FACT IS there was NEVER any reason to be on the catwalk when the RADAR was operating.

Was told in training that the radiation from the FPN-36 GCA would make us sterile, got married a couple of years later and found that was not true.

They are well within the utility easement as there looks to be a phone pedestal beside the pole. They may string copper cable on it, but my guess that it with be fiber optic cable. But, on closer inspection of the picture it looks to be an omni directional cell antenna.

Last edited:
Is it on your property, do they have an easement?
Power company strung wire across my property, had it removed.

His rear fence (P/L?) is 10+ ft to the left of this.
It’s next to the public sidewalk
It looks to be in an existing utility easement since there is a telephone? box or other utility right there.

Last edited:
Yup, if you find yourself buying a chevy next week, you know what caused it

Was told in training that the radiation from the FPN-36 GCA would make us sterile, got married a couple of years later and found that was not true.

WOW somebody who knows the 36?
I maintained 2x FPN-36 at NAS Miramar along with TACAN and what we called an FPN-52--the updated precision RADAR out of a CPN-4. Went to GCA school in the old hangers at NAS Glynco GA in 68-69

How about you? What I mean is "what is your experience" about 36's

There is conflicting info. online. It seems we really don't know if it's safe. Just don't want my 12 year old son to have a problems related to it. State of Florida passed Legislation allowing Communication Companies to place them on any easement, so they put it inches from my property line.

They are well within the utility easement as there looks to be a phone pedestal beside the pole. They may string copper cable on it, but my guess that it with be fiber optic cable. But, on closer inspection of the picture it looks to be an omni directional cell antenna.
Yea, there were two big speaker looking boxes on the side of the pole about halfway up. The city said they had to move them in a box on the ground next to the pole.

There is conflicting info. online. It seems we really don't know if it's safe. Just don't want my 12 year old son to have a problems related to it. State of Florida passed Legislation allowing Communication Companies to place them on any easement, so they put it inches from my property line.

which is 40 ft from your house

which is 39.95 ft further than a cell phone he talks into that is 0.05 ft from your brain.

There are several issues here, I don't see any of them "an issue" concerning this tower

No particular order:
1....Average power, which is what causes heating effect. Peak power of something like a pulse must be mitigated even though it sounds "like a lot"
2....Frequency of operation. Certain frequency bands seem to be worse for humans than others
3....Distance of the transmitting antenna from the "victim" and height both play a part
4....Gain of antenna which can be thought of as concentrating power
5....Beam pattern which is similar to 4 but also in a case like a tower, the pattern normally reduces pattern near the bottom of the tower, IE it is normally a somewhat narrow pattern
6...Duty cycle which relates to average power but also general on/ off times. Something like a taxi or police 2-way radio is normally fairly low, as they simply don't transmit much

Those power lines across the street should be a far larger concern if this is all you can find to worry about.

Ever since they put up a new antenna on the Fire station's tower next door, I've had a persistent ringing in my ears, that goes away the further I get from the tower. It took me a long time to figure that out. I can't say what the new antenna is, cuz there is a bunch of 'em up there. I'll guess from this chair to the base is 200feet? or less.
My teeth are coming apart too.
But that might have something to do with me being 68,lol.

Anybody want to come sit on top of the pole and see what happens?

I've been through this a zillian times.

1...There is no actual proof that RF radiation is bad for you except in certain "near field" situations--- think in terms of sticking your hand into a microwave with the door safety bypassed

2...ANY energy, whether RF, light, heat, whatever, changes up or down, closer or further, by "squares". This means that as you move away, the power drops off tremendously fast. you receive more energy from your toaster than you do from any high mounted antenna

3...Unlike "the old days" of AM broadcast, or even FM or TV antennas, these are WAY less power output, a few watts rather than many kilowatts

Forget the tinfoil claims. You face more danger from everyday household accidents and appliances and CERTAINLY more danger biking or driving on pubic highways.

Pubic highways? Eww

-
Back